• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Fantastic Four Collecting Thread!
32 32

13,712 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, WernerVonDoom said:

Around 1995, I walked into Lee's Comics in Palo Alto, CA looked around for a minute or so and asked the clerk if he had anything interesting. He pulls out 2 perfect copies of FF 48 and says he's asking $500 firm for either one. Instantly, I said, "I'll take both". Within 5 minutes of entering, I was out of there with my two first Silver Surfers.  I'm sure he was wondering what the heck just happened. Anyway, they ended up being the first two books I sent to CGC back in 2000. One came back a 9.4 (which I sold around 2005) and the other is the 9.6 below.  Lee wrote about these sales in one of his Overstreet updates.

FF0048.jpg

You're a legend baby!!

3 hours ago, WernerVonDoom said:

Around 1995, I walked into Lee's Comics in Palo Alto, CA looked around for a minute or so and asked the clerk if he had anything interesting. He pulls out 2 perfect copies of FF 48 and says he's asking $500 firm for either one. Instantly, I said, "I'll take both". Within 5 minutes of entering, I was out of there with my two first Silver Surfers.  I'm sure he was wondering what the heck just happened. Anyway, they ended up being the first two books I sent to CGC back in 2000. One came back a 9.4 (which I sold around 2005) and the other is the 9.6 below.  Lee wrote about these sales in one of his Overstreet updates.

FF0048.jpg

I miss Lee's Comics!

While I never scored any books that look as sweet as your FF #48s, they always had a nice selection of books and tended to undergrade, which meant you were happy with your purchase.

Edited by silverseeker
Minor tweak.

7 hours ago, silverseeker said:

I miss Lee's Comics!

While I never scored any books that look as sweet as your FF #48s, they always had a nice selection of books and tended to undergrade, which meant you were happy with your purchase.

Yeah, I remember going in once and for some reason he had a stack of 20 each of Marvel Premiere #1, New Gods #1, Forever People #1, Mister Miracle #1 on the counter for $5 each.  Grades ranged from 9.0 to 9.4. For a moment, I was thinking of buying them all, but it just seemed wrong not to spread the wealth.

BTW, I later heard that the 48s were Big Guy's personal copies (of Big Guy's Comics).

5 hours ago, WernerVonDoom said:

Yeah, I remember going in once and for some reason he had a stack of 20 each of Marvel Premiere #1, New Gods #1, Forever People #1, Mister Miracle #1 on the counter for $5 each.  Grades ranged from 9.0 to 9.4. For a moment, I was thinking of buying them all, but it just seemed wrong not to spread the wealth.

BTW, I later heard that the 48s were Big Guy's personal copies (of Big Guy's Comics).

I also loved going to Big Guy's Comics! D ick was another dealer who was a tight grader...

I got back into collecting in 2000, so I only had a small window of time to frequent that store before D ick sold it (I think he sold it in 2002, if I remember correctly).

Edited by silverseeker
Modified the owner's name so it shows up.