• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men Collecting Thread!
10 10

2,042 posts in this topic

Fellow Mutants

Since X-Men #1 auctions are pretty much always of interest. Take a look at this.

Back when the bidding was a LOT lower, I was actually looking at this. As I was examining the photos to try to get a rough grade (I even PM'd the good Doctor Watson for a 2nd opinion), I noticed that Marvel Girl's hand is right up against the right edge. DW pointed out that Cyclop's head is cut off. I don't know, do you guys think this was chopped on the right edge and top?

X-Men #1 Auction on Ebay

CG

I don't know about the trimming but both bidder 6 and bidder 3 look like shills. Bidder 6 has zero feedback. Stay away.

hm I don't have much experience with shills. I see what you mean about the bid history.

As it stands, doesn't it seem that this seller is going to get stuck "selling" the book to himself? After all, the highest legitimate bid was either $599 or $1000 if bidders 6 and 3 are shills. (Bidder 5 looks suspicious too.) Is he hoping for someone to bid above the $5300 current bid?

I avoid buying any raw books on ebay unless they are from dealers I trust who know how to grade.

Fellow Mutants

Since X-Men #1 auctions are pretty much always of interest. Take a look at this.

Back when the bidding was a LOT lower, I was actually looking at this. As I was examining the photos to try to get a rough grade (I even PM'd the good Doctor Watson for a 2nd opinion), I noticed that Marvel Girl's hand is right up against the right edge. DW pointed out that Cyclop's head is cut off. I don't know, do you guys think this was chopped on the right edge and top?

X-Men #1 Auction on Ebay

CG

I don't know about the trimming but both bidder 6 and bidder 3 look like shills. Bidder 6 has zero feedback. Stay away.

hm I don't have much experience with shills. I see what you mean about the bid history.

As it stands, doesn't it seem that this seller is going to get stuck "selling" the book to himself? After all, the highest legitimate bid was either $599 or $1000 if bidders 6 and 3 are shills. (Bidder 5 looks suspicious too.) Is he hoping for someone to bid above the $5300 current bid?

I avoid buying any raw books on ebay unless they are from dealers I trust who know how to grade.

A wise policy!

Fellow Mutants

X-Men #1 Auction on Ebay

CG

I agree. I try to avoid raw books if at all possible. I have been lit too many times in the past. onfire.gif

xmen3598w.jpg

Woo Hoo! Now that is a book baby! That X-Men/Spidey book has always been on my list as a possible first silver-age book to get.

Thats a serious book. Im guessing that would go for around 7-8K today

Fellow Mutants....

This is a big day for me. I think I'll circle it on the calendar. :)

Over the last couple of weeks, I've had some books coming in from several sources.

Now they're here and these have put me into the #10 spot on the 1-66 registry. Making

the top ten was my main collecting goal for 2007. This turned out to be harder than

expected because some major collections jumped on to the list in the Spring, moving

me down a couple of spots.

I'm really happy to be able to improve the overall quality of my run with these pick-ups.

This #11 popped up on Comiclink a couple of weeks ago. Because these are so hard

to find in high grades, I bid on it quickly. This is actually the 3rd CGC book I've had of

this issue! I started with a 6.0, moved to an 8.0 and now this. :insane:

x11_normal.jpg

The next two, the #12 and #27 come from our own mr_highgrade . Thanks Juan!! :hi:

x12_normal.jpg

x27_normal.jpg

This #29 is a baby-step upgrade from the 9.0 that I recently bought from Casey.

However, it went for a good price on Ebay, so why not?

I'll be offering the 9.0 for sale in the near future.

x29_normal.jpg

This #57 also came from Comiclink. Like the book above, it upgrades the 9.0 that I had

in my run.

x57_normal.jpg

pink_hair_girl.gifCycleGirl

Edited by CycleGirl