• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men Collecting Thread!
10 10

2,041 posts in this topic

Well since we've all been posting our best looking issues, i thought how about we post the worse looking x-men issue that we've got.

Okay.... Take a look at this one. wink.gif

crappy1.jpg

crappy2.jpg

Have you ever seen so much spine roll? makepoint.gif27_laughing.gif

CycleGirl

Wow, getting it graded? 27_laughing.gif

Well since we've all been posting our best looking issues, i thought how about we post the worse looking x-men issue that we've got.

crappy1.jpg

crappy2.jpg

CycleGirl

893whatthe.gif

crappy1.jpg

crappy2.jpg

CycleGirl

Wow, getting it graded? 27_laughing.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gifconfused-smiley-013.gif

This would be a great one if we had a competition for the most worthless slab of all time! A $0.50 book in a $25 holder! 27_laughing.gif

Here's one I got yesterday. Perhaps one of the lamest covers ever. 27_laughing.gif Heck, my LCS had this for years and in decent shape, but I never grabbed it til yesterday. xmen40.jpg[/img]

X-Men vs. Frankenstein...what's not to like about it 27_laughing.gif

Here's one I got yesterday. Perhaps one of the lamest covers ever. 27_laughing.gif Heck, my LCS had this for years and in decent shape, but I never grabbed it til yesterday. xmen40.jpg[/img]

Nice book!

Hey, wasn't X-Men the worst-selling Marvel title at the time? They were probably ready to try anything! 27_laughing.gif

Actually for some reason one of my favorite early covers confused-smiley-013.gif

Bad News that turned into good news.

The bad news was that I had been looking at buying x-men #96 in 9.6 from Vintage Collectibles, but it was offered on Ebay.

The good news is that i won it yay.gif even greater news...cheaper than i would have paid for it directly cloud9.gif.

Once I get it i'll scan it yay.gif

Nice book!

Hey, wasn't X-Men the worst-selling Marvel title at the time? They were probably ready to try anything! 27_laughing.gif

Actually not far off it, the last issue before the reprints started was #66 i think. So it was on the downward spiral at the time. It's a wonder why they didn't try to introduce the Hulk or Spiderman into the mix to try and save it stooges.gif

The bad news was that I had been looking at buying x-men #96 in 9.6 from Vintage Collectibles, but it was offered on Ebay.

The good news is that i won it yay.gif even greater news...cheaper than i would have paid for it directly cloud9.gif.

Nice!!!!

893applaud-thumb.gif Congratulations on a nice pick-up! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I'm curious about how people on this board have decided what grades to target for their collection. I mean, it's taken me a long time to figure out where I want my 1-66 run to be. I started out just wanting one of every issue (generally raw). Then I wanted a complete collection of graded issues. Now my goals are

#1 to #10 Fine or better

#11 to #20 Fine/VF minimum, average of VF or better

#21 to #66 VF minimum, average of 9.0 or better for the group

For the near term, I won't be spending a lot for high-grade, single-digit issues. I'll save those for later. I've also been cautious about buying a lot of high-priced 9.4 and 9.6 issues. The money doesn't go very far buying the ultra-grades. For now, I think it's more fun to pick up a few 9.0 and 9.2 books every month with an occasional 9.4 or 9.6 when the right book (at the right price) comes along.

I've found that setting these goals has really helped me to collect with more of a purpose. For example, when kc listed two 9.2 books this weekend, I knew that they were PERFECT for my collection. Exactly where I wanted those issues to be. Someday, when the run is more filled-in, I'm sure that I'll work on upgrading the lowest-grade issues.

Anyway, thanks for reading this far. For those of you who have been at this for a while, I'm curious. Did you start out just trying to own one of every issue and then, in a series of steps, evolve your goals ever higher?

Oh, and to finish off this message, here are two issues I bought back in November and hadn't gotten around to posting. I got a fairly good deal on them from lawyerboy on Ebay.

th_x43.jpg

th_x54.jpg

CycleGirl