• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men Collecting Thread!
10 10

2,041 posts in this topic

Are those straight averages, or medians? I think medians would give a better assesment of the information.

Man, I really can't wait till I finish my X-men run. I just want to finish it!!!! I'm tired of not having a run finished. Early SA X-men books are crappy anyway 27_laughing.gif I just want to concentrate on TOS as soon as possible because SA X-men is so bad.

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

Are those straight averages, or medians? I think medians would give a better assesment of the information.

Man, I really can't wait till I finish my X-men run. I just want to finish it!!!! I'm tired of not having a run finished. Early SA X-men books are crappy anyway 27_laughing.gif I just want to concentrate on TOS as soon as possible because SA X-men is so bad.

893whatthe.gif893whatthe.gif893naughty-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif are you telling me that you were not on the edge of a deep sleep when trying to read through SA X-men. Like #3 for instance... sleeping.gif

screwy.gif

hi.gif

As long as you still love X-Men hi.gif

PS: Good luck getting a spot for the NYCC. Its gonna be nuts yay.gif

X-men are still my favorite. Just many of the early SA issues were terrible in terms of story. Kirby's art from this time never fails though cloud9.gif Everybody knows that X-men shine when Cockrum and Claremont come in.

...Steranko did a great job too, but it was too short lived.

And I sure hope some spots open up for me in NYC. 893crossfingers-thumb.gif I don't want to miss out on the nuttiness.

Edited by KingOfRulers

X-Men #1 - 15

Median = 6.5

X-Men #16 - 66

Median = 8.5

Does that help?

Here are a couple of graphs that I made. It shows the grade breakdown of the census for issues 30 - 66.

This first one shows 9.2 to 9.8 . This graph really shows the difference in population from issue to issue in the high grades.

th_cgccensusNM30-66.jpg

The second one shows 8.0 to 9.8 .

th_cgccensusVF30-66.jpg

Comments?

X-Men #1 - 15

Median = 6.5

X-Men #16 - 66

Median = 8.5

Does that help?

Here are a couple of graphs that I made. It shows the grade breakdown of the census for issues 30 - 66.

This first one shows 9.2 to 9.8 . This graph really shows the difference in population from issue to issue in the high grades.

th_cgccensusNM30-66.jpg

th_cgccensusVF30-66.jpg

Comments?

893applaud-thumb.gif

It is interesting to see which issues are hard to find or the lack of ones slabbed.

X-Men #1 - 15

Median = 6.5

X-Men #16 - 66

Median = 8.5

Does that help?

th_cgccensusNM30-66.jpg

th_cgccensusVF30-66.jpg

Comments?

893applaud-thumb.gif

It is interesting to see which issues are hard to find or the lack of ones slabbed.

Thanks phoenix. That's what I noticed too! There is a lot of variability in the CGC population from issue to issue. Did you notice, for example, how issue #45 is almost 3 times as common as #46? Why aren't there more #46s and so many #45s?

Here are a couple of more graphs.

The first is of issues #1-15 . I expanded the grades shown all the way down to VG. I also lumped the grades together 4.0 & 4.5 are combined, for example.

th_cgccensusVG1-15.jpg

I've noticed that issues #11 and #15 tend to be hard to find in CGC. I guess this explains it. CGC just hasn't slabbed that many.

Here are issues 16 - 29

th_cgccensusVF-16-29.jpg

CycleGirl

X-Men #1 - 15

Median = 6.5

X-Men #16 - 66

Median = 8.5

Does that help?

th_cgccensusNM30-66.jpg

th_cgccensusVF30-66.jpg

Comments?

893applaud-thumb.gif

Thanks phoenix. That's what I noticed too! There is a lot of variability in the CGC population from issue to issue. Did you notice, for example, how issue #45 is almost 3 times as common as #46? Why aren't there more #46s and so many #45s?

The first is of issues #1-15 . I expanded the grades shown all the way down to VG. I also lumped the grades together 4.0 & 4.5 are combined, for example.

th_cgccensusVG1-15.jpg

I've noticed that issues #11 and #15 tend to be hard to find in CGC. I guess this explains it. CGC just hasn't slabbed that many.

Here are issues 16 - 29

th_cgccensusVF-16-29.jpg

CycleGirl

I have noticed a noticable lack of good quality #11's as compared to say #10's. Its is amazing how little there is, the same as #15. But I also look at the ones which are key issues. Look at #14, first appearance of the Sentinels, is almost as high as any of the issues #1-5

Edited by phoenix215

X-Men 45 was a warehouse find. There are a huge number of high grade copies out there. Issue 37,38, 50, 53, 61 and 89 are other examples of warehouse finds or similar. Issue 89 I think is more prevalent due to it being part of the infamous Mile High II "pedigree." I have searched for high grade X-Men for many years and you start to see a pattern of what is out there.

X-Men #1 - 15

Median = 6.5

X-Men #16 - 66

Median = 8.5

Does that help?

th_cgccensusNM30-66.jpg

th_cgccensusVF30-66.jpg

Comments?

893applaud-thumb.gif

th_cgccensusVG1-15.jpg

Here are issues 16 - 29

th_cgccensusVF-16-29.jpg

CycleGirl

I have noticed a noticable lack of good quality #11's as compared to say #10's. Its is amazing how little there is, the same as #15. But I also look at the ones which are key issues. Look at #14, first appearance of the Sentinels, is almost as high as any of the issues #1-5

I think a lot of it has to do with the quality of production. It varied issue to issue. Perhaps #10 and #14 and #45 happen to have had superior production runs. confused-smiley-013.gif

Yes, #14 does have a really high census. I suppose that keys like #12 and #14 must have been recognised almost from the start as having potential as collector's items. However, the disparity seems to go beyond keys versus non-keys. For example, issue #21 isn't a key, but there are a lot more of them around than either the #20 or #22. Is part of this due to white covers versus dark covers? Does it seem like the white cover books have a lot more high grades in the census?

confused.gif

CG

X-Men 45 was a warehouse find. There are a huge number of high grade copies out there. Issue 37,38, 50, 53, 61 and 89 are other examples of warehouse finds or similar. Issue 89 I think is more prevalent due to it being part of the infamous Mile High II "pedigree." I have searched for high grade X-Men for many years and you start to see a pattern of what is out there.

smile.gif That explains the spikes a lot! Thanks!