• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men Collecting Thread!
10 10

2,041 posts in this topic

Are those straight averages, or medians? I think medians would give a better assesment of the information.

X-Men #1 - 15

Median = 6.5

X-Men #16 - 66

Median = 8.5

Does that help?

Here are a couple of graphs that I made. It shows the grade breakdown of the census for issues 30 - 66.

This first one shows 9.2 to 9.8 . This graph really shows the difference in population from issue to issue in the high grades.

th_cgccensusNM30-66.jpg

The second one shows 8.0 to 9.8 .

th_cgccensusVF30-66.jpg

Comments?

893applaud-thumb.gif

It is interesting to see which issues are hard to find or the lack of ones slabbed.

Thanks phoenix. That's what I noticed too! There is a lot of variability in the CGC population from issue to issue. Did you notice, for example, how issue #45 is almost 3 times as common as #46? Why aren't there more #46s and so many #45s?

Here are a couple of more graphs.

The first is of issues #1-15 . I expanded the grades shown all the way down to VG. I also lumped the grades together 4.0 & 4.5 are combined, for example.

th_cgccensusVG1-15.jpg

I've noticed that issues #11 and #15 tend to be hard to find in CGC. I guess this explains it. CGC just hasn't slabbed that many.

Here are issues 16 - 29

th_cgccensusVF-16-29.jpg

CycleGirl

I have noticed a noticable lack of good quality #11's as compared to say #10's. Its is amazing how little there is, the same as #15. But I also look at the ones which are key issues. Look at #14, first appearance of the Sentinels, is almost as high as any of the issues #1-5

I think a lot of it has to do with the quality of production. It varied issue to issue. Perhaps #10 and #14 and #45 happen to have had superior production runs. confused-smiley-013.gif

Speakth the man who such lovely high grades.... 27_laughing.gif

Are those straight averages, or medians? I think medians would give a better assesment of the information.

X-Men #1 - 15

Median = 6.5

X-Men #16 - 66

Median = 8.5

Does that help?

Here are a couple of graphs that I made. It shows the grade breakdown of the census for issues 30 - 66.

This first one shows 9.2 to 9.8 . This graph really shows the difference in population from issue to issue in the high grades.

th_cgccensusNM30-66.jpg

The second one shows 8.0 to 9.8 .

th_cgccensusVF30-66.jpg

Comments?

893applaud-thumb.gif

It is interesting to see which issues are hard to find or the lack of ones slabbed.

Thanks phoenix. That's what I noticed too! There is a lot of variability in the CGC population from issue to issue. Did you notice, for example, how issue #45 is almost 3 times as common as #46? Why aren't there more #46s and so many #45s?

Here are a couple of more graphs.

The first is of issues #1-15 . I expanded the grades shown all the way down to VG. I also lumped the grades together 4.0 & 4.5 are combined, for example.

th_cgccensusVG1-15.jpg

I've noticed that issues #11 and #15 tend to be hard to find in CGC. I guess this explains it. CGC just hasn't slabbed that many.

Here are issues 16 - 29

th_cgccensusVF-16-29.jpg

CycleGirl

I have noticed a noticable lack of good quality #11's as compared to say #10's. Its is amazing how little there is, the same as #15. But I also look at the ones which are key issues. Look at #14, first appearance of the Sentinels, is almost as high as any of the issues #1-5

I think a lot of it has to do with the quality of production. It varied issue to issue. Perhaps #10 and #14 and #45 happen to have had superior production runs. confused-smiley-013.gif

Speakth the man who such lovely high grades.... 27_laughing.gif

acclaim.gif

A question for any of you who may know... how many copies of Oakland X-men there are? I am only asking because I am trying to figure out why the copy of issue number 70 on Pedigree comics & Metropolis look to be exactly the same and if my eye sight isn't going on me, the same CGC number.

Long time since we seen some books in this thread wink.gif

(loved the research cycle, i have saved the data to my disk grin.gif)

acclaim.gif Thank you!

893applaud-thumb.gif Also, very nice #30 MD! 893applaud-thumb.gif Great pick up! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Merci hi.gif

back to the stats for a moment, the question is if we have seen the full price-impact on the issues with warehouse copies or if they will take a further drop? For instance i am lacking a Giant Sized X-men 1 but i can only see the price of that one dropping further (never reaching guide at the moment) with the amount of copies allready graded and rumours (some that i know of and others that are unconfirmed) of big warehouse finds of that book that hasnt been graded yet. Could very well be the same for some of the SA books. I would think that with the introduction of CGC most of the people sitting on many HG issues of the same book from warehouses would have, by now, came forward in the attempt of getting some 9.8's graded and make come quick money, but it is only guesswork.

Mad Dog,

You can second-guess yourself to the point of craziness regarding the potential for warehouse finds of books like Giant-Size X-Men 1, X-Men 94 and Hulk 181. I think that there may be a large number of HG copies of all of these floating around out there that haven't found their way into a CGC holder yet. But, if I found a beautiful copy of any of these at a decent price, I would pull the trigger.

Another thought provoking question for all your x-menites...

Did Chris Claremont ever produce a bad storyline in his run on X-Men?

Personally i don't think he did (or if he did they were very few and far between). Considering the length of time he spent on the book was truly amazing, especially how writers nowadays don't seem to stay or want to stay writing on a title for longer than a story arc or two.

And i may be requested to tear up my x-men membership for saying this but, until the Fall of the Shiar Empire arc, i've been only reading uncanny on automatic. None of the storylines were really grabbing me all that much. There didn't seem to be much within the characters to get me to read more (and don't ask me what i think about that time when wolverine was popping up all over the place...sheesh). With Claremont he always had this great story arcs and then would have these little one-offs to show the "human side" to the mutants....like when wolvie and colossus go to the bar to have a drink, run into juggernaut also drinking, colossus and juggie start this big bar room brawl, while wolvie looks on wanting no part of it.

I suppose my follow up question is...has there been a writer since Claremont, who has made you eager for the next issue to arrive?

I suppose my follow up question is...has there been a writer since Claremont, who has made you eager for the next issue to arrive?

Claremont was a rarity and there is no doubt that his skills were a major reason for the success of the "New X-Men" back in the 1970s and a major reason so many of us who read those books are X-Men fans today.

There are some fantastic writers out there today, like Neil Gaiman, who don't write X-Men books but who I love to read. And there have been a number of really good X-writers who have had short stays on the book and who made me look forward to the next issue. But, until someone puts together a resume of 20+ X-books, it will be hard to consider anticipating their next story arc.

My X-Men period was from the late 70's/mid 80's and I thought Claremont did a very good job. The good/great outweight the bad. But he did have some dud's for me. The original Morlock stories did nothing for me at the time.

I stopped collecting comics in 1985. But since I jumped back in in 1995, I've bought many of the mid-80's X-Men on. (I'm stalled in the 230's right now) Some of those storylines from the late 80's don't do anything for me. But, I may have to chalk that up to my age. The story arcs from the classic Claremont/Byrne era caught me at the impressionable stage of my early teens.

Claremont was a rarity and there is no doubt that his skills were a major reason for the success of the "New X-Men" back in the 1970s and a major reason so many of us who read those books are X-Men fans today.

There are some fantastic writers out there today, like Neil Gaiman, who don't write X-Men books but who I love to read. And there have been a number of really good X-writers who have had short stays on the book and who made me look forward to the next issue. But, until someone puts together a resume of 20+ X-books, it will be hard to consider anticipating their next story arc.

You are right Gaiman, Alan Moore, Warren Ellis etc etc are all great writers in their own regard. Gaiman on Sandman was quite inspiring.

My X-Men period was from the late 70's/mid 80's and I thought Claremont did a very good job. The good/great outweight the bad. But he did have some dud's for me. The original Morlock stories did nothing for me at the time.

I stopped collecting comics in 1985. But since I jumped back in in 1995, I've bought many of the mid-80's X-Men on. (I'm stalled in the 230's right now) Some of those storylines from the late 80's don't do anything for me. But, I may have to chalk that up to my age. The story arcs from the classic Claremont/Byrne era caught me at the impressionable stage of my early teens.

I suppose as we get older and supposedly more mature in our tastes, the stories seem a bit too over the top.