• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

X-Men Collecting Thread!
10 10

2,041 posts in this topic

Well done CycleGirl. That Pac Coast book is nice thumbsup2.gif

Thanks for the kudos on the Pac Coast book, everyone. acclaim.gifcloud9.gif This is my first SA ped. It's kind of cool to have a book from a famous find.

Anyway, I guess I got us sign-offtopic.gif from Phoenix's Claremont thread.

Yes, Claremont was brilliant. I would say groundbreaking. I suppose that superheroes, in the 20th century, fill the same place that the ancient Greek and Roman heroes, demi-gods and gods filled in the classical age. The characters are arch-types and always bigger than life. However, what Claremont brought to the medium, more than any other, was real tragedy. The tragedy of Jean and Scott is as significant of a legend to me as the stories of Achilles or Oedipus.

Unfortunately, I have not read a lot from the more modern writers. I will look for TPBs of the writers mentioned on this thread. However, the two that I love are Frank Miller for the Dark Knight series and J. Michael Straczynski for ASM. Brilliant!

When it comes to modern books, I would like to talk about the art! My favorite is Greg Land's Phoenix Endsong. The story is told in images. The dialog and narration are secondary.

jean1.jpg

CycleGirl

Thanks for the kudos on the Pac Coast book, everyone. acclaim.gifcloud9.gif This is my first SA ped. It's kind of cool to have a book from a famous find.

Yes, Claremont was brilliant. I would say groundbreaking. I suppose that superheroes, in the 20th century, fill the same place that the ancient Greek and Roman heroes, demi-gods and gods filled in the classical age. The characters are arch-types and always bigger than life. However, what Claremont brought to the medium, more than any other, was real tragedy. The tragedy of Jean and Scott is as significant of a legend to me as the stories of Achilles or Oedipus.

Unfortunately, I have not read a lot from the more modern writers. I will look for TPBs of the writers mentioned on this thread. However, the two that I love are Frank Miller for the Dark Knight series and J. Michael Straczynski for ASM. Brilliant!

When it comes to modern books, I would like to talk about the art! My favorite is Greg Land's Phoenix Endsong. The story is told in images. The dialog and narration are secondary.

jean1.jpg

CycleGirl

No need to apologise for getting such a great ped book!! thumbsup2.gif893applaud-thumb.gif

The other thing that i found interesting is that when you look at the new "recruits"...wolverine, nightcrawler, colossus, storm they each were a study in opposites..that they were all a study of the interior vs the exterior.

(As MK falls asleep waiting for the next action scene to come along... poke2.gif )

Well, I really went overboard this time! I've been frantically selling books on ebay to make up for the cash needed for this one!

x20_pc.jpg

Cycle

yay.gif

Congrats on that sweet pickup from Doug... thumbsup2.gif

I was the underbidder gossip.gif

jean1.jpg

CycleGirl

That Phoenix image is sweet... I love her blush.gif ...i mean it crazy.gif

Well, I really went overboard this time! I've been frantically selling books on ebay to make up for the cash needed for this one!

x20_pc.jpg

Cycle

yay.gif

I need to get myself a Pac Coast 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

x20_pc.jpg

Cycle

yay.gif

thought you only went for moderns... since your criteria is 9.8 you can find a few early X-men in that grade... you can always make an offer for Doug's no 1 PC copy..... i think a modest offer of 400K will make it yours thumbsup2.gif

x20_pc.jpg

Cycle

yay.gif

thought you only went for moderns... since your criteria is 9.8 you can find a few early X-men in that grade... you can always make an offer for Doug's no 1 PC copy..... i will a modest offer of 400K will make it yours thumbsup2.gif

Yeah tell me about it. Yes I only collect copper-modern x-men right now but my main goal in comic collecting is to have 1-300 completed in 10 years. thumbsup2.gif

x20_pc.jpg

Cycle

yay.gif

thought you only went for moderns... since your criteria is 9.8 you can find a few early X-men in that grade... you can always make an offer for Doug's no 1 PC copy..... i will a modest offer of 400K will make it yours thumbsup2.gif

Yeah tell me about it. Yes I only collect copper-modern x-men right now but my main goal in comic collecting is to have 1-300 completed in 10 years. thumbsup2.gif

I know... im just pulling your leg as always... fyi i am now only missing 8 issues to have that complete, but it is a big mix of CGC 8.0-9.8 and raw 2.5-9.6 tongue.gif

x20_pc.jpg

Cycle

yay.gif

I know... im just pulling your leg as always... fyi i am now only missing 8 issues to have that complete, but it is a big mix of CGC 8.0-9.8 and raw 2.5-9.6 tongue.gif

Nice!!!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

x20_pc.jpg

Cycle

yay.gif

thought you only went for moderns... since your criteria is 9.8 you can find a few early X-men in that grade... you can always make an offer for Doug's no 1 PC copy..... i think a modest offer of 400K will make it yours thumbsup2.gif

sign-funnypost.gif Yes, I saw that book in Doug's "vault" (Pedigreecomics.com in case anyone hasn't been there) too. It's definitely good for a 893whatthe.gif

x20_pc.jpg

Cycle

yay.gif

me too. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

x20_pc.jpg

Cycle

yay.gif

*,,and as we watch the Pac Coast stampede in action, we must wonder at just who will have the next one in their hands* 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

x20_pc.jpg

Cycle

yay.gif

*,,and as we watch the Pac Coast stampede in action, we must wonder at just who will have the next one in their hands* 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

27_laughing.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

x20_pc.jpg

Cycle

yay.gif

27_laughing.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

x20_pc.jpg

Cycle

yay.gif

27_laughing.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif893scratchchin-thumb.gif

acclaim.gif