• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Avengers collecting thread!
11 11

1,731 posts in this topic

One of my unfulfilled goals in my collection was to get a # 21 in the condition that I wanted. I ended up missing out on one once because I asked if it was pressed and it sold before I could get an answer. doh!

They rarely come up for sale.

There are a lot of really beautiful comics in this thread.

Don't worry though, I can fix that:

SCAN0034.jpg

So this is my copy of Avengers #4. Here's the story: When I was about 13, I started getting serious about collecting comics. My Dad sat me down and said, you know, instead of just buying whatever random comics you come across, you should focus your efforts on a specific title. Set a goal and collect that series first and then once you're done you can move on to other things you also like.

I decided to focus on Avengers, which turned out to be a very lucky thing, because for my money Avengers #1-285 is about as solid a series of comics as have ever been printed. I don't think there's another series that maintained the level of excellence Avengers did for such a long period of time. Avengers #51-71 in particular is about as good as superhero comics get.

Anyway, shortly after I began focusing on Avengers, my Dad brought me to a comic store. I still didn't know much about back issues or collecting or Avengers even but I knew I liked old stuff so I decided I wanted the oldest Avengers issue they had. That turned out to be this copy of Avengers #4, which my Dad then bought for me for the exorbitant price of $12.50. I don't think I even knew what the significance of the issue was at the time. When we got it home and I opened it up, though, we discovered that the spine was so tattered -- big pieces were missing from it entirely -- that just reading the comic threatened to cause it to fly apart entirely. Luckily, my Dad had a simple and elegant solution -- literally a solution, because we fixed the problem by applying rubber cement to the spine and cementing the cover in place. And let me tell you, that cover is still about as firmly attached as you could imagine even today.

Somehow, I managed to put together an entire run of Avengers in about four years, despite only having my meager allowance and occasional birthday/Christmas money to work with, finishing my run the summer between my Sophomore and Junior years of high school. As you can imagine, with that kind of a budget a lot of my Avengers issues were nearly as ratty as this Avengers #4. Since then, of course, I have upgraded most of them to at least solid copies. But despite how terrible this Avengers #4 is, it's the one book in my collection I will never replace.

Great story!

I was also 13 when I bought my first Avengers back issues (#s 46, 49 and 50, which I still own 35 years later!). From then until I was 18 I collected every issue from #92 down to #21 (my run started at #93). I wasn't able to complete it until after college, so kudos to you for completing it as a teen. :applause:

And thanks for putting this thread back on the front page. (thumbs u

There are a lot of really beautiful comics in this thread.

Don't worry though, I can fix that:

SCAN0034.jpg

So this is my copy of Avengers #4. Here's the story: When I was about 13, I started getting serious about collecting comics. My Dad sat me down and said, you know, instead of just buying whatever random comics you come across, you should focus your efforts on a specific title. Set a goal and collect that series first and then once you're done you can move on to other things you also like.

I decided to focus on Avengers, which turned out to be a very lucky thing, because for my money Avengers #1-285 is about as solid a series of comics as have ever been printed. I don't think there's another series that maintained the level of excellence Avengers did for such a long period of time. Avengers #51-71 in particular is about as good as superhero comics get.

Anyway, shortly after I began focusing on Avengers, my Dad brought me to a comic store. I still didn't know much about back issues or collecting or Avengers even but I knew I liked old stuff so I decided I wanted the oldest Avengers issue they had. That turned out to be this copy of Avengers #4, which my Dad then bought for me for the exorbitant price of $12.50. I don't think I even knew what the significance of the issue was at the time. When we got it home and I opened it up, though, we discovered that the spine was so tattered -- big pieces were missing from it entirely -- that just reading the comic threatened to cause it to fly apart entirely. Luckily, my Dad had a simple and elegant solution -- literally a solution, because we fixed the problem by applying rubber cement to the spine and cementing the cover in place. And let me tell you, that cover is still about as firmly attached as you could imagine even today.

Somehow, I managed to put together an entire run of Avengers in about four years, despite only having my meager allowance and occasional birthday/Christmas money to work with, finishing my run the summer between my Sophomore and Junior years of high school. As you can imagine, with that kind of a budget a lot of my Avengers issues were nearly as ratty as this Avengers #4. Since then, of course, I have upgraded most of them to at least solid copies. But despite how terrible this Avengers #4 is, it's the one book in my collection I will never replace.

Awesome story, great to hear the back story to sentimental copies.

Replacement for a 9.2 ow copy that I owned for almost 25 years and sold. Really glad to have another. One of my favorite books/stories/characters.

Avengers57.jpg

(worship)

Ditto! My favorite superhero, favorite cover and all time favorite book! Thats a REALLY sweet copy also. Nice and bright unlike most copies. congrats! :applause:

Replacement for a 9.2 ow copy that I owned for almost 25 years and sold. Really glad to have another. One of my favorite books/stories/characters.

Avengers57.jpg

(worship)

Ditto! My favorite superhero, favorite cover and all time favorite book! Thats a REALLY sweet copy also. Nice and bright unlike most copies. congrats! :applause:

Almost perfect registration too! :cloud9:

Avengers57.jpg

(worship)

Goes for me too. I pray every night to Stan Lee that Pym eventually shows up on the big screen... which will lead to Ultron... which will of course bring us to his royal awesomeness!!! (worship)

Avengers96CGC98.jpg

Avengers57001.jpg

And I have a 9.2 Stan signed on it's way back to me :banana:

This one was perfect as is - no need for a sig

Avengers5796001.jpg

... and it all began here :luhv:

MarvelMysteryComics13SS70F001.jpg

Oh BTW did I mention that I <3 The Vision (maybe too much :screwy:) If anyone is looking for a graded 57 in the 4.0 - 8.5 range drop me a ring (thumbs u

Thanks for the comments guys. I think I'll slowly get back to my Avengers run, but this GA thing has seriously side-tracked me. :screwy:

Yeah, sticking with GA sounds like a GREAT idea! You definitely shouldn't be buying SWEET Avengers Pedigrees like that insane 37 :baiting:

lol