• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Strange Tales Collecting Thread !
12 12

2,876 posts in this topic

I don't know if this has been done anywhere in the 38 pages of this thread confused-smiley-013.gif (and I'm not going to read them all to find out), but is anyone interested in discussing why they collect ST? 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I started because Dr. Strange is my favorite character and my focus was 110-168. I have since started buying pre-hero issues and also gained an appreciation for Nick Fury. I just finished my NF 1-18 run before Christmas! yay.gif I still have little interest in 101-109, 112-3 and 169 on, although I guess I'll pick them up at some point just because I'm a completionist.

How about you?!?!?!? flowerred.gif

I guess there aren't too many people collecting Strange Tales. confused.gifsorry.gif

Personally, I like the early Dr. Strange Lee/Ditko issues (110-146) and the Steranko

run (151-168).

Ditko did a great job on the Strange stories. Sad that Strange has

been so neglected since the 70's as a character. Best story/art are 126-127.

Anyone know where Ditko got his inspiration for his work on Dr. Strange?

Did any of you guys pick up any of the ST's recently up for offer on Pedigree's web site??

Not me.

I pity the poor guy (or gal) that picked up that Oakland ST 157 CGC 9.4 OW at BIN price ($300) just to see another copy pop up less than hour after in CGC 9.4 White...at a BIN of $200!!

Worst of it is that it was clearly annouced that a ST 157 CGC 9.4 would be posted along other "Iceberg' books... foreheadslap.gif

Did any of you guys pick up any of the ST's recently up for offer on Pedigree's web site??

Not me.

I pity the poor guy (or gal) that picked up that Oakland ST 157 CGC 9.4 OW at BIN price ($300) just to see another copy pop up less than hour after in CGC 9.4 White...at a BIN of $200!!

Worst of it is that it was clearly annouced that a ST 157 CGC 9.4 would be posted along other "Iceberg' books... foreheadslap.gif

Your not wrong. The ped qulaification doesn't quite justify a 50% mark up over the non-ped. Plus the OW versus W pages...it's burning alright.

ST's are still my favourite. After seeing Doug's collection in person I gained a new appreciation for the hero run of the series. I just love the Pre-hero stuff and made it my main focus in 2006 but realized that it would be a long road ahead to completing that run and I just don't have the patience. Hence, the sell off of my pre-hero's with aggressive pricing as I'm just as happy keeping those beauties forever. I've readjusted my focus on ST's to be the run from #101-188 with the #101-#115 to be at least 7.5. Then #116 to #135 to be around 8.0 to 8.5 then from #136 on I would like to get them in 9.0 or higher. The series is one of Marvel/Atla's all time best and very under appreciated for all the great folks that worked on the title. Prices are beginning to go into the stratosphere and making it very difficult to complete.

I've started looking for "raw" copies to compensate the inflating prices which has added to the thrill of the hunt. Hands down... the best series out there for me.

So has Sullypython (our newest ST registry entry) introduced himself yet? Anyone

know this collector?

I PMed Rich (Korvac Saga) about this and here's what he had to say (reprinted without his permission flowerred.gif) : "I actually bought my first CGC ST (#118 9.0) from Sullypython on ebay circa 4 years ago! I think he owns a comic store in Nevada or thereabouts." Anybody knows more ?

I sent him a PM via the Registry inviting him to this thread (and also to let him know about my interest for his ST 103 CGC 8.5 OW ! cloud9.gif)..but I did not get any reply confused-smiley-013.gif

So has Sullypython (our newest ST registry entry) introduced himself yet? Anyone

know this collector?

I PMed Rich (Korvac Saga) about this and here's what he had to say (reprinted without his permission flowerred.gif) : "I actually bought my first CGC ST (#118 9.0) from Sullypython on ebay circa 4 years ago! I think he owns a comic store in Nevada or thereabouts." Anybody knows more ?

I sent him a PM via the Registry inviting him to this thread (and also to let him know about my interest for his ST 103 CGC 8.5 OW ! cloud9.gif)..but I did not get any reply confused-smiley-013.gif

I did a search under "username" and it seems that Sullypython is registered since 2002. Go there for more info. gossip.gif

ST's are still my favourite. After seeing Doug's collection in person I gained a new appreciation for the hero run of the series. I just love the Pre-hero stuff and made it my main focus in 2006 but realized that it would be a long road ahead to completing that run and I just don't have the patience. Hence, the sell off of my pre-hero's with aggressive pricing as I'm just as happy keeping those beauties forever. I've readjusted my focus on ST's to be the run from #101-188 with the #101-#115 to be at least 7.5. Then #116 to #135 to be around 8.0 to 8.5 then from #136 on I would like to get them in 9.0 or higher. The series is one of Marvel/Atla's all time best and very under appreciated for all the great folks that worked on the title. Prices are beginning to go into the stratosphere and making it very difficult to complete.

I've started looking for "raw" copies to compensate the inflating prices which has added to the thrill of the hunt. Hands down... the best series out there for me.

After seeing your photo's with Doug, I quite easily agree. And not simply because of grades. The start of the superhero theme is simply stunning, and as you've shown us the pre-hero books are classics of their genre. And considering the title span's 3 ages of comic history, only the top eschelon of titles can claim to better that feat!

ST's are simply great, and the more poeple who collect and appreciate (the whole run - like yourself) the better for them I say!

Hi All -

In response to the recent posts (and Frederic's gracious PM) I thought I would introduce myself (frederic, soory it took so long to respond). I haven't posted to the boards in a couple of years (though I do check them out frequently). I will certainly keep an eye on this thread as ST is one of my favorite titles and am looking to upgrade many of the books I currently have.

Hi All -

In response to the recent posts (and Frederic's gracious PM) I thought I would introduce myself (frederic, soory it took so long to respond). I haven't posted to the boards in a couple of years (though I do check them out frequently). I will certainly keep an eye on this thread as ST is one of my favorite titles and am looking to upgrade many of the books I currently have.

wassup bro! hi.gif you sold me my TOS 39 CGC 6.0 on ebay years ago!Still have that one! great book! Did you stop selling on ebay? I haven't seen you around in a long time!

In an attempt to lure those mysterious Strange Tales collectors, I decided to start this thread! If some of them post scans of some of their high grade ST, this should be a blast!

I'll start with some of my favorites from my modest collection...

ST 103 CGC 8.0 White Mass. Copy

ST-103-Massachusset-2.jpg

ST 104 CGC 8.5 OW

strange-tales-104.jpg

ST 106 CGC 8.5 OWW

strange-tales-106.jpg

ST 109 CGC 9.0 OWW

strange-tales-109.jpg

ST 116 CGC 8.0 OWW

strange-tales-116F.jpg

ST 120 CGC 8.5 OWW

strange-tales-120F2.jpg

It's your turn now! thumbsup2.gif

Awesome books!!! thumbsup2.gifThese early ST covers from 100 to 125 are pure classics. I need a ST 112 in VF if any fellow members could part with one. Gotta have this book before I go crazy. insane.gif

How's it going. I am glad you still have that TOS 39. Always great when these books find a long time home where they are appreciated.

As for ebay, I still buy on ebay but do most of my selling through consignments sites (mostly pedigree). Prices realized are much better and Doug makes it real easy.

How's it going. I am glad you still have that TOS 39. Always great when these books find a long time home where they are appreciated.

As for ebay, I still buy on ebay but do most of my selling through consignments sites (mostly pedigree). Prices realized are much better and Doug makes it real easy.

This board is a nice place to sell also ! wink.gif

BTW if you have scans of some of your ST and want to share them...go ahead ! popcorn.gif