• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Daredevil Collecting Thread
16 16

3,125 posts in this topic

And from #326 - 332 :sick: and #353 - 379 :sick::sick: where they changed the title... it just got terrible. Like they were phoning in the character/book.

That's why if the Registry set didn't end at #310, I might have just said I'd buy slabs through #300 and raws for the rest.

They had some cool covers during those issues. (shrug) Story wise I can pick issues from the whole run that were not that great.

And for anyone who may think I JUST collected Marvel up until 1/1980....my OCD goes far deeper then you can even imagine.

31326b4fc8dfe8caebf828ca2f48b24c_zps9c4900ff.jpg[/img]

af24f9b113869f2a1181fcf95efbb83b_zpsf1a46fbf.jpg[/img]

988b68e8600357951bf480e9a08a63e0_zps073940ef.jpg[/img]

And... I just won this:

I now have representatives of the following pedigrees:

Boston

Mass (x2)

Pacific Coast (x3)

White Mountain

Western Penn (x15)

Curator (x2)

Twin Cities (x3)

Northland

Suscha News (x8)

Rocky Mountain (x2)

I wondered who I was bidding against on Comic Connect for some DDs - little did I know it was an OS forumite. :hi: Rob

:hi:

I was bidding on the #2 and I think, a #5 or #16 (whichever one was a pedigree copy, the other one was at ComicLink that same month) , in the last one.

Hopefully, I'll stay out of your hair for the rest of the year. I do have a bunch of books queued up to bid on at Comic Connect and Heritage (I think) so hopefully we'll miss each other in the carnage :)

Hey Rob, hope you are well, its been a while since the old Bronze Age discussions back in the day - kinda miss chatting with you Darth, Rick and Bruce in the BA forum :grin:

I'm actually almost done, really just have to to an upgrade on my #1 and #7 (I should have bought the Winnipeg and am kicking myself) other than that an issue here or there. On the Ped front I bought a bunch of Oakland's off Vinny back in the day and own a few SA Peds (not a Curator though (worship) (thumbs u) Schmidt has been active on the Ped front as well - given my foray into OA I have backed off a bit on SA Marvels, they will still and always be there (FFB and tth2's words, and I now agree with them) Prices were down or stable for the past 2-3 years but have seen a bit of a bump lately though the gaps between 9.2-9.4-9.6 have decreased, which is really the way it should be given what we know about the slivers of differences and ability to manipulate those books. 9.8 BA has also come down to reality again due to swelling census numbers.

I also agree that DD is starting to approach an ASM-like level of offerings at auction recently hm which is curious, probably a few things driving that at subtle levels though I am not complaining.

We will have to compare notes after the first quarter auctions and see what your impressions were. I'm close to stepping out of the SA DD Market, not sure how much of an impact that will have on prices, but one less under bidder, or over bidder as it were is never a bad thing.

Oh, one more thing, my memory might be starting to go, but was it you or Darth that bought that HG DD #1 off Bob Storms a number of years ago for a very good price? I think it was 9.0 or better if I remember correctly. If so then that is 1 of the 2 SA DD keys tucked away :applause:

And from #326 - 332 :sick: and #353 - 379 :sick::sick: where they changed the title... it just got terrible. Like they were phoning in the character/book.

That's why if the Registry set didn't end at #310, I might have just said I'd buy slabs through #300 and raws for the rest.

They had some cool covers during those issues. (shrug) Story wise I can pick issues from the whole run that were not that great.

And for anyone who may think I JUST collected Marvel up until 1/1980....my OCD goes far deeper then you can even imagine.

31326b4fc8dfe8caebf828ca2f48b24c_zps9c4900ff.jpg[/img]

af24f9b113869f2a1181fcf95efbb83b_zpsf1a46fbf.jpg[/img]

988b68e8600357951bf480e9a08a63e0_zps073940ef.jpg[/img]

Nice! :applause: I just saw your complete collection last night btw. :o VERY impressive! (worship)

Like I said, I'll pick up those later issues raw and could probably get a bundle deal for them which would be great. I just want to do a complete registry set of slabbed for the others little by little. I may just do 1 - 300, but I have a LONG way to go and plenty of time to decide! (thumbs u

I was so excited about the third Gene Colan run (in the 360s), but by then, he was a shadow of his former self, and the comics were a huge letdown. In fact, pretty much from 301 to the end, it was a disappointment.

And then Bendis, whose stuff I do not like in the least, and Kevin Smith, and I just realized that I didn't like comics featuring my favorite character for about 15 years.

You didn't like the Bendis run? (shrug)

I thought it was one of THE best runs I've ever read. Huh. Just matter of choice I guess.

Have you grid the Waid run? The newest run right now is light and fun and reminiscent of the old super hero books. :)

I love the current run. I liked (not loved) Brubaker's take on the character. And Diggle's was awful.

My biggest problem with Bendis -- and this is not specific to Daredevil -- is that his characters just don't act how you would expect. This is not saying I like predictability or anything like that. It's more of, I would read his stories, and put the comic down and say to myself, "Nobody acts like that. Nobody thinks like that. You can have one irrational person, but not the whole damn cast."

I remember the ending of Born Again. Frank Miller had Matt and Karen Page walking arm in arm down a Hell's Kitchen street. They were both flawed, and they both just went through hell, they had promise, a future. That panel alone could have been the jump-start for about 20 years worth of great stories. Instead, we got 20+ years of blech.

Fair enough. I can see what you're saying. Somethings jump out in my mind when you say that. But I loved the Decalogue arch with bystanders sitting in a group to tell of their interactions with Daredevil...

and he's sitting there incognito the whole time.

. I thought that was a great bit of storytelling. And the whole Sammy Silke arch. Just terrific dialogue and a weaselly character. And I loved his Kinpin - just so manipulative. But there are other parts now that I'll have to look again critically at. :gossip: I still love it though. :)

And Born Again... :cloud9:

I love the current run. I liked (not loved) Brubaker's take on the character. And Diggle's was awful.

My biggest problem with Bendis -- and this is not specific to Daredevil -- is that his characters just don't act how you would expect. This is not saying I like predictability or anything like that. It's more of, I would read his stories, and put the comic down and say to myself, "Nobody acts like that. Nobody thinks like that. You can have one irrational person, but not the whole damn cast."

I remember the ending of Born Again. Frank Miller had Matt and Karen Page walking arm in arm down a Hell's Kitchen street. They were both flawed, and they both just went through hell, they had promise, a future. That panel alone could have been the jump-start for about 20 years worth of great stories. Instead, we got 20+ years of blech.

Beauty is in the eye of the Beholder as they say. The current reboot caused me to stop collecting DD after 25 years or so of straight collecting. As I said earlier I'm about 7 books short of the complete run and even that could NOT compel me to continue. The art has no edge to it and the "Who Framed Roger Rabbit" feel is such a polar opposite to the grittiness that is DD, I had to look away. The story arcs surrounding the whole super criminal organization data leveraging is about a C+ so that was not keeping me around.

2c

Not liking the Bendis or Smith or Brubaker or Waid runs!?!?

You guys are freaken nuts!!!

I can't even...

I really liked the Kevin Smith story. Bendis told one hell of a killer long-form tale. Bru's was good, but Diggle just took it too far. He wrote himself into a corner and that Redemption story that bridged the gap after the last run to the current was god awful. Now Waid's run has been nothing short of fantastic. The art in the first few issues was phenominal, and has been above par ever since.

David Mack's 2 stories get overlooked before and during Bendis' run, and both were good if you like his stuff. It's very deep and introspective and not the norm when it comes to his art style.

The 1 arc nobody remembers was the Gale / Winslade one that came directly before Bendis that to my knowledge is the only arc NOT to be reprinted yet and was damn good. I highly recommend it.

I look forward to where Waid is taking DD, which is back to San Fran I guess. And there's supposed to be an on-line thing to bridge the gap that I hope they put in print.

I just read Daredevil #35 and it was amazing!

I dont want to spoil it if anyone hasn't read it and is planning too but man oh man was it good.

I find it impossible to believe people can like the character, read these stories and not like them. They are just fantastic. Easily Marvel's best series.

Not liking the Bendis or Smith or Brubaker or Waid runs!?!?

You guys are freaken nuts!!!

I can't even...

I really liked the Kevin Smith story. Bendis told one hell of a killer long-form tale. Bru's was good, but Diggle just took it too far. He wrote himself into a corner and that Redemption story that bridged the gap after the last run to the current was god awful. Now Waid's run has been nothing short of fantastic. The art in the first few issues was phenominal, and has been above par ever since.

David Mack's 2 stories get overlooked before and during Bendis' run, and both were good if you like his stuff. It's very deep and introspective and not the norm when it comes to his art style.

The 1 arc nobody remembers was the Gale / Winslade one that came directly before Bendis that to my knowledge is the only arc NOT to be reprinted yet and was damn good. I highly recommend it.

I look forward to where Waid is taking DD, which is back to San Fran I guess. And there's supposed to be an on-line thing to bridge the gap that I hope they put in print.

I agree, Diggle's run was the worst run in the last decade or two... but even that, wasn't that bad. It had its moments.

I don't get the San Fran thing? DD is to Hell's Kitchen as Batman is to Gotham and Superman is to Metropolis. (shrug)

When I first heard a relaunch (again x3) at first my reaction was :facepalm: - then I heard San Fran and felt :ohnoez: and :frustrated:

About the David Mack issues - do you mean the "Wake Up" arch with the little boy? I love that story! :cloud9:

And I haven't read the Gale/Winslade run. I have a full run of Vol. 2 but read them through omnibuses. That one, like you said, wasn't included. I'll have to read the issues. :)

As far as Diggle - I read the first issue or two and quit and went right to Waid. It was just terrible and I couldn't do it.

I don't get the San Fran thing? DD is to Hell's Kitchen as Batman is to Gotham and Superman is to Metropolis. (shrug)

When I first heard a relaunch (again x3) at first my reaction was :facepalm: - then I heard San Fran and felt :ohnoez: and :frustrated:

About the David Mack issues - do you mean the "Wake Up" arch with the little boy? I love that story! :cloud9:

And I haven't read the Gale/Winslade run. I have a full run of Vol. 2 but read them through omnibuses. That one, like you said, wasn't included. I'll have to read the issues. :)

As far as Diggle - I read the first issue or two and quit and went right to Waid. It was just terrible and I couldn't do it.

Kind of, but DD spent time in San Fran in the past. That was back when he was hanging with the Black Widow. So it's not like this is out of character. Waid has done so many great issues in this volume he's built up enough stock for readers to trust him.

David Mack wrote an arc, then Quesada wrote an issue, and then Mack came in to write the Wake Up story. He also did the Echo story around 51-55.

David Ross also filled in an issue on the Winslade arc, which I dug. This website is the best for DD info:

http://www.manwithoutfear.com/daredevil-cover-gallery-volume-2-issues-1-25.cgi

Oh I know that website. ;) Great stuff there.

And I thought there was a period when DD was in San Francisco with Black Widow.I still don't understand WHY. (shrug) That whole period took place though when DD was sort of a really bad second rate character and close to cancellation and bi-monthly (pre-Miller). Then after Miller, it seemed to be reinforced that DD does what he does for HIS community - Hell's Kitchen.

Wouldn't it be fair to say that DD is to Hell's Kitchen as Batman is to Gotham? Just doesn't seem right.