• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay

3,099 posts in this topic

From Wiki. I don't remember the last paragraph as part of this story. I think it followed up in a mini (could be incorrect on that though).

Supposedly lost diaries of the mutant seer Destiny surfaced, telling of twelve beings of fantastic power that could defeat Apocalypse once and for all. These Twelve legend, however, was a ruse created by Apocalypse himself; once the Twelve were assembled, he planned to use them to transform himself into a godlike entity beyond the Celestials. The Twelve, chosen not only for their mutant powers but also for the Jungian quasi-archetypes they represented, consisted of:

Magneto and Polaris, representing opposing magnetic poles;

Storm, Sunfire and Iceman, representing elementals;

Cyclops, Phoenix and Cable, representing family (Father, Mother, Son), and chosen for the power of the Summers-Grey bloodline;

Bishop and Mikhail Rasputin, representing time and space, respectively

Professor X, representing the mind; and

The Living Monolith as the core.

Apocalypse is merged with Cyclops. Art by Alan Davis from X-Men (vol. 2) #97.(In an earlier storyline, dating to about 1987, The Twelve were supposed to be the future leaders of mutantkind whom the Master Mold was programmed to destroy. They included Cannonball and Mirage (then joint leaders of the New Mutants), Psylocke and Apocalypse himself, among others. Also included was a character called Ultiman, a future incarnation of Franklin Richards.) In Uncanny X-Men #-1 it was revealed that it was Madame Sanctity of the Askani Sisterhood the one who programmed the identities of the Twelve so they would be destroyed in order to prevent the rise of Apocalypse, though for some reason she did not program all the correct identities, seemingly to protect Cyclops, Phoenix and Cable.

Apocalypse planned to funnel the powers of the eleven mutants into The Living Monolith, and then from the Monolith into Nate Grey. As the power flowed into Nate, Apocalypse would possess Nate's body, which he had determined was the only physical body able to withstand such primal energies. Magneto had been weakened in some previous battles, however, so he could not supply enough energy to "complete the circuit," thus shorting it out.

Cable kills Apocalypse's spirit.

Art by Tom Raney.The Twelve escaped and confronted Apocalypse as he was preparing to transfer his essence into Nate. Cyclops jumped in the way of the transfer, saving Nate, but Apocalypse merged with Cyclops instead, giving birth to a whole new horror (unofficially dubbed by some fans as "Cyclopalypse"). Although he did not achieve the godhood he wished, Apocalypse's power was expanded to an incredible degree and he managed to escape in Cyclops' body, with Jean Grey the only one who believed her husband still survived within the form.

After teleporting away, an amnesiac and powerless Cyclops regained control of the merged form. As Apocalypse began to re-emerge, however, Jean and Cable were alerted to his location, and she finally managed to free Cyclops by telepathically forcing Apocalypse's spirit out of her husband's body. Apocalypse was rendered an incorporeal astral form, and Cable took advantage of the opportunity to apparently destroy him, sundering his spirit with his Psimitar.

Apocalypse planned to funnel the powers of the eleven mutants into The Living Monolith, and then from the Monolith into Nate Grey. As the power flowed into Nate, Apocalypse would possess Nate's body, which he had determined was the only physical body able to withstand such primal energies.

Possibly the worst part of the storyline, as it was well established that Nate, using his own power, would burn out his physical body at a very young age.

The lead in to Apocalypse: The Twelve was the 3 issue Astonishing X-Men mini.

A:12 consisted of Uncanny X-Men 376/377, X-Men 96/97, Wolverine 146/147, and Cable 75/76.

Immediately following was the 5 issue Ages of Apocalypse storyline, which ran through the same series' and X-Men Unlimited 26.

The follow up was the 4 issue X-Men: The Search for Cyclops mini (of which I am still missing an issue frustrated.gif).

Apocalypse: The Twelve was released at Marvel's lowest point as a company, which was reflected in the print runs.

Even so, I don't think they are "heating up" so much as consistantly selling for much more than most moderns for quite a while now.

Apocalypse planned to funnel the powers of the eleven mutants into The Living Monolith, and then from the Monolith into Nate Grey. As the power flowed into Nate, Apocalypse would possess Nate's body, which he had determined was the only physical body able to withstand such primal energies.

Possibly the worst part of the storyline, as it was well established that Nate, using his own power, would burn out his physical body at a very young age.

The lead in to Apocalypse: The Twelve was the 3 issue Astonishing X-Men mini.

A:12 consisted of Uncanny X-Men 376/377, X-Men 96/97, Wolverine 146/147, and Cable 75/76.

Immediately following was the 5 issue Ages of Apocalypse storyline, which ran through the same series' and X-Men Unlimited 26.

The follow up was the 4 issue X-Men: The Search for Cyclops mini (of which I am still missing an issue frustrated.gif).

Apocalypse: The Twelve was released at Marvel's lowest point as a company, which was reflected in the print runs.

Even so, I don't think they are "heating up" so much as consistantly selling for much more than most moderns for quite a while now.

The print runs for these issues were miniscule (I think the Uncanny issues in this storyline has a print run of 85-100K) compared to normal. Next time you go to your LCS, look for Uncanny's from issue #370 to 385 - unless you are at a really good shop, there will more than likely be a gap here in their back issues (as the print runs at this time were very low and most shops were ordering just above what would sell to hold customers).

The print runs for these issues were miniscule (I think the Uncanny issues in this storyline has a print run of 85-100K) compared to normal. Next time you go to your LCS, look for Uncanny's from issue #370 to 385 - unless you are at a really good shop, there will more than likely be a gap here in their back issues (as the print runs at this time were very low and most shops were ordering just above what would sell to hold customers).

As a side note, does anyone know of a website that has print runs for modern comics and not just sales ranking numbers.

-Chris

As a side note, does anyone know of a website that has print runs for modern comics and not just sales ranking numbers.

-Chris

Not really print runs.. but you can extrapolate that info since Diamond is essentially a monopoly...

http://www.cbgxtra.com/Default.aspx?tabid=1528

Another one that's not neccessarily "heating up", but seems to be consistently hot is Amazing Spider-man V.2 #19. It sports an appearance by Venom, and a cover by Erik Larsen. Sells for around $20. Another book printed during marvels dark days.

-Chrs

Another one that's not neccessarily "heating up", but seems to be consistently hot is Amazing Spider-man V.2 #19. It sports an appearance by Venom, and a cover by Erik Larsen. Sells for around $20. Another book printed during marvels dark days.

-Chrs

I love that book - I think I've sold 20 copies of it on eBay in the past 2 years.

-Chrs

Wow, no offense, but I simply can't believe it. Though the cover is cool, there are plenty of ASM's by Larsen that have Venom in it.

Obviously, print runs are dictating some decent sales. It would be interesting to poll the books released by Marvel at that time and see what might have potential value. Sounds like a running theme.

Pat

-Chrs

Wow, no offense, but I simply can't believe it. Though the cover is cool, there are plenty of ASM's by Larsen that have Venom in it.

Obviously, print runs are dictating some decent sales. It would be interesting to poll the books released by Marvel at that time and see what might have potential value. Sounds like a running theme.

Pat

That was a Black Costume Spider-man and a Venom cover in the last Larsen run for Spidey (I think). Also, from some of the data I've seen, it was the lowest print run for an issue of Amazing for several years.

Also, its remniscent of the great Venom vs. Spider-man stuff that Larsen did in the early 90s, so I think that's helped it a little bit.

Another underlying factor here is that a lot of comic collector's curbed their purchasing of Modern comics in this time period. As they go back and fill-in the gaps, they might be looking for issues like this.

-Chrs

Pat

That was a Black Costume Spider-man and a Venom cover in the last Larsen run for Spidey (I think). Also, from some of the data I've seen, it was the lowest print run for an issue of Amazing for several years.

Also, its remniscent of the great Venom vs. Spider-man stuff that Larsen did in the early 90s, so I think that's helped it a little bit.

Another underlying factor here is that a lot of comic collector's curbed their purchasing of Modern comics in this time period. As they go back and fill-in the gaps, they might be looking for issues like this.

I think you nailed it. I know I dropped the title at issue 20, and didn't pick it up again until issue 36. I just remember buying it out of habit every month and just thinking how much I wasn't enjoying it.

-Chris

In your local area, is there any rarity to Alias books (by Marvel)? Didn't seem like it was selling well in the 20s (hence cancellation)? We seem to have a few so I'm able to go back and get most of the run. Just curious.

Pat

I buy any copies of Alias #28 when I see them in the $1 bins. I thought it was a pretty good series actually. They're all in TPBs though...

Then again, I also pick up copies of ROM #75...

Predator vs Magnus trade (1994) is still found from time to time on backissue shelves for cover price.

If there's one in a shop near you... you might want to grab it and put it on the 'bay.

This recent copy looks to be about VF, and it went for $100+

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200025638520

thumbsup2.gif

P.S. Sorry, the original comics from this storyline aren't worth much... just this reprint. confused-smiley-013.gif

Alias wasn't cancelled, per se. Bendis just reached the end of the story (or so he wrote in the last issue) and since it was a fairly personal project they just ended the book, and it morphed into "The Pulse". Of course, if it had strong sales, they likely would have had someone else keep the book going. But there seems to be no movement in the book's value. I have a bunch of #1s that I've bought for $1-2 each over the past few years, but not even Jones's major involvement in the Avengers and the baby and all that can get the book up in a real way. There was a little spike last summer, but short of her becoming the focal point of the next company-wide, nothing-will-be-the-same crossover, Jessica Jones is destined to be a minor character and Alias a minor book. But a great one. It was my favorite for the duration. And there should be some sort of law at Marvel that only Gaydos is allowed to draw Jessica Jones, no matter what the book.

The on early vol. 2 of Spider-man, John Byrne, Larsen, Weeks, etc., is always tough to find. I picked up a run from about 14 to 25 or so last year at a shop for about $3 each and flipped them for double that on ebay, with #19 going for almost $20, which was below average at the time. I think the low print runs, and lack of trades, AFAIK, make collectors pay a little more than you'd expect.

This was the case with Maxx. There were no trades until a couple years ago, and they only did 6-issue books that came out every 6 months, so people who got into it through them and wanted to finish the series had to wait until earlier this year to get to the end, unless they paid a premium for the fairly tough last issues. Seems to have loosened up a bit lately as readers who had the full runs either a) switched to trades and sold off the originals or b) saw the originals selling so well and decided to jettison them.

A lot of the books mentioned in this thread seem to be either very short-lived sparks or else completely random cases of bullheaded bidders. Some books posted a couple weeks ago are not showing any evidence of heat, and some that do are just silly. The $53 Thanos Quest auction is obviously a fluke. Two low FB bidders each bid over $50, but neither is interested enough in the book to place bids on later auctions that ended for less than half as much. But there is some good info here, certainly worth spending an extra $10 at the shop next time, if no one else beats me to it.