• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Moderns that are heating up on ebay

3,099 posts in this topic

Nostalgia as someone pointed out will allow this book to excede its current value and climb due to black cover and its meaning.

Nostalgia.. for USM? screwy.gif

He's referring to ASM vol.2 36 gossip.gif

If that's what Moderns do to your reading and spelling abilities, am I glad I don't read them anymore.

Nostalgia as someone pointed out will allow this book to excede its current value and climb due to black cover and its meaning.

Actually, if ANY modern book will be generating nostalgia 20 years from now, it'll be USM. It's one title that's actually ending up in the hands of children.

Actually, if ANY modern book will be generating nostalgia 20 years from now, it'll be USM. It's one title that's actually ending up in the hands of children.

Excellent POV. Marvel has done a wonderful job with getting USM in the hands of people who do not normally frequent comic shops. The series already has a pretty decent history behind it in its short time (its been pretty strong the entire time, extremely popular, and will have had the same creative team up until its 110th issue), and that can only helps it.

I agree, 20-30 years from now it might happen, but we're talking about "Moderns that are heating up on ebay" here. insane.gif

I agree, 20-30 years from now it might happen, but we're talking about "Moderns that are heating up on ebay" here. insane.gif

I think this thread stopped talking about moderns that are heating up about 10 pages ago 27_laughing.gif

Let me add one I forgot Conan 275 another last issue with a twist. The cover is entirely black so its a real pain to find one in high grade. I found one a few years back and sold it last month for $20.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...O:IT&ih=006

I don't think they are harder to find in high grade for any other reason then that there were fewer printed (low sales was why it was canceled). On black covers you can see the flaws more easily, but there aren't any more flaws to see then on any other type of covers. Why would a black cover be harder to find in grade then any other cover? Do people handle black covers with less care? No. Anyone that thinks black covers get more damage isn't looking very closely at other "non-black" covers. Black covers don't get mistreated at a higher rate then any other covers.

Let me add one I forgot Conan 275 another last issue with a twist. The cover is entirely black so its a real pain to find one in high grade. I found one a few years back and sold it last month for $20.

I don't think they are harder to find in high grade for any other reason then that there were fewer printed (low sales was why it was canceled). On black covers you can see the flaws more easily, but there aren't any more flaws to see then on any other type of covers. Why would a black cover be harder to find in grade then any other cover? Do people handle black covers with less care? No. Anyone that thinks black covers get more damage isn't looking very closely at other "non-black" covers. Black covers don't get mistreated at a higher rate then any other covers.

You answered your own question. Damage is much more obvious. People really don't look to the detailed level that some of us anal people do (and man, do I really look). The other problem is fingerprints. Black is the absolute WORST for prints showing. Drives me nutz. Got to say solid black and solid white covers are my least favorite. White always seems to attract dirt and smudges.

Pat

Excellent POV. Marvel has done a wonderful job with getting USM in the hands of people who do not normally frequent comic shops. The series already has a pretty decent history behind it in its short time (its been pretty strong the entire time, extremely popular, and will have had the same creative team up until its 110th issue), and that can only helps it.

I can't explain the why of this price. But I do know that USM #1 VF/NM was selling for $80 around springtime.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ULTIMATE-SPIDER-MAN-...1QQcmdZViewItem

You answered your own question. Damage is much more obvious. People really don't look to the detailed level that some of us anal people do (and man, do I really look). The other problem is fingerprints. Black is the absolute WORST for prints showing. Drives me nutz. Got to say solid black and solid white covers are my least favorite. White always seems to attract dirt and smudges.

Pat

hail.gifCouldnt have answered that any better myself. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Well with 471 views I sold a raw New Mutants #16 for $17.27 plus shipping

I may not be on fire but considering there were ZERO bids until 1 day remaining, and bid was only $10.01 until last 20 seconds I was surprised.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...O%3AIT&rd=1

If you had a larger scan and actually showed the edges, do you think you would have gotten a higher end result?

I may not be on fire but considering there were ZERO bids until 1 day remaining, and bid was only $10.01 until last 20 seconds I was surprised.

If you had a larger scan and actually showed the edges, do you think you would have gotten a higher end result?

i do.

i won't bid on a book with a cropped scan like that. take an additional ten minutes with your scanner, make more money confused-smiley-013.gif

"For a quick unscientific sample I just cruised over to ebay and searched on ASM #200 from Jan 1980.

Out of 21 copies, the copies I checked were Direct copies over UPC by 2 to 1 -- 14 direct and 7 UPC. 66% direct copies."

Anniversary issues like 200 were perhaps more likely to have been bought by shops/dealers in bulk to sell over the next __ years, so that would skew things a bit, raising the # of direct copies. X-Men 137, Avengers Annual 10 and a few others were also bought in vast quantities by dealers, thus skewing the # of direct copies. I have no evidence, but my guess is that the ratios would be different for less "hot" books.

Go back 3 years and the comic shop versions are somewhat "rare". Like 1/20 on ebay. Not enough to create big price spikes on common marvels, but I see that the direct versions have more liquidity. Move faster and closer to OPG than you'd get for your typical BA marvel, and not just NM. I've sold several in VF and lower.

Its possible. and its a very good suggestion. Thanks for the insight. I am always looking for selling help