• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Golden Age Adventure/New Adventure/New Comics
7 7

1,763 posts in this topic

I think this is the toughest of the New Comics, even tougher than #2. Big no-prize for whomever correctly answers what "AOC" is!

Serious question? All Original Comics?

Jack

Winner!! Yup, just inside the front cover is a long text piece about All Original Comics and how that's what's on everyone's minds these days (i.e., in the mid-1930's).

I'll watch my mail for a large no-parcel.

Jack

It's a fun book. I'd love to find an upgrade copy, but I'm not holding my breath.

Yup, and although I don't have it with me (it's on my work computer), I remember that New Comics #3 is the scarcest of that 11-issue run. The New Adventure run includes the only book I've yet come across that scores a top-ranked 30, the simply perfect combination of impossible to find and relatively expensive. It's not Ian's famous New Adventure #26, either.

I'm guessing that you are referring to #27 (I am looking for that issue too). But although there has not been a #27 for sale for some time (which is what makes it score high in the Windex rating), it is my understanding that most Adventure completionists have it in their collections already. But, as always, this is an interesting topic worthy of further discussion.

Ugh. So I was looking through the Heritage archives at some New Adventures, trying to see if the #19 on eBay now had been sold previously, when I came across these two:

Church copy sold in 2002 for $6037, graded 9.2:

804044317o.jpg

Church copy sold in 2004 for $12,650, graded 9.6:

812013017o.jpg

What's odd is that the penciled Church code on the original book is actually more faded than the one on the second book, which appears to have been traced over with a different pencil. It's more obvious on the super-large scans from the auction pages (here and here).

I'm guessing it was cleaned and the code was re-drawn on afterwards. frustrated.gif

It really bugs me how so many of these high grade GA books have corner chips or very noticable damage and still get a 9.6 grade. WTF? I can see this as a 9.4 but a 9.6?

bumpit.gif for Win.

This Adventure is a bit later than the books I usually focus on, but I love the Kirby Sci Fi cover:

1631960-Adv.97%28MH%29%282%29.jpg

I don't collect the later Adventures either, but that doesn't mean that I can't appreciate them - that's a great looking book (and look at those rich reds!).

STEVE

I have not followed this thread too much....However, I have the #13 which is supposedly rare. It is in great condition. jb

1634393-newcom13.jpg

I am absolutely convinced that Mr. Jon Berk has discovered the secret of time travel.

STEVE

Jon,

When you say "supposedly rare," are you saying you don't think it is rare? If so, where are all of the other copies? 27_laughing.gif

I have not followed this thread too much....However, I have the #13 which is supposedly rare. It is in great condition. jb

1634393-newcom13.jpg

Jon,

When you say "supposedly rare," are you saying you don't think it is rare? If so, where are all of the other copies? 27_laughing.gif

1634393-newcom13.jpg

All I meant was that I have not followed this market (pre-hero) DC recently. I know when i got this copy (many, many moons ago) I was more than pleased. On top of everyting else, it is in terrific shape. VF/VF+. I know it is a "10" in Gerber (got it before that). I figured the guys on this thread are more in tune with whether they agree with that assessment. I did not want to be presumptuous and declare it "rare" since I presently do not have the data or knowledge to make that statement....so I said "supposedly rare".

I suppose I could change the tenor of my post and say: "Hey, I got this book and none of your have a prayer of obtaining it."

But that too might be viewed as "presumptious". So I will stick with "supposedly rare".

Seriously, where do you guys rate this book on the obtainability scale presently?

Jon

Jon,

1634393-newcom13.jpg

All I meant was that I have not followed this market (pre-hero) DC recently. I know when i got this copy (many, many moons ago) I was more than pleased. On top of everyting else, it is in terrific shape. VF/VF+. I know it is a "10" in Gerber (got it before that). I figured the guys on this thread are more in tune with whether they agree with that assessment. I did not want to be presumptuous and declare it "rare" since I presently do not have the data or knowledge to make that statement....so I said "supposedly rare".

I suppose I could change the tenor of my post and say: "Hey, I got this book and none of your have a prayer of obtaining it."

But that too might be viewed as "presumptious". So I will stick with "supposedly rare".

Seriously, where do you guys rate this book on the obtainability scale presently?

Jon

Speaking only from my limited experience -- I've never seen a copy other than yours and Ian Levine's. Ian mentioned when he was putting his complete DC collection together that he lucked into his copy in the 1970s and that if he hadn't lucked into it, this book probably would have been the last one he would have needed to finish his collection. In this thread on the rarest GA DCs, New Adventure #13 was widely regarded as one of the rarest.

I've seen three NA 15's in the past year, but only 1 NA 17. Saw a nice NA 21 today, which leads me to....

I get lazy with books sometimes, but experienced a good reminder just how important it is to look through a comic carefully before shelling out the dough.

Had the NA 21 in my hands and was going to pull the trigger when I was page counting and saw a coupon ripped out of one page (made the Vikings story incomplete).

I hate it when that happens....and the dealer/owner wasn't too happy either.

STEVE