• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Action Comics #1 Mile High copy

283 posts in this topic

Since I started this thread, I'll go O/T for a minute.....I keep hearing about "the dentist". From what I've gathered, he's got like the best books in existence. Is he kinda reclusive? I mean if I owned some of these I'd love to show them off, but it seems like his collection is somewhat "guarded". Does he go to the cons or he on these boards? I mean if he wants to keep them tucked away all for himself, he has every right to to so. Just wondering....

No, he's not a recluse. When I lived back in Maryland, he and his son would occassionally attend the CapiCons Monthly Show in Tyson's Corner, VA. I think he was even at a pretty lame show at the Gathersburg Fairgrounds.

Donut pointed him out to me.

I'm a little confused at something confused.gif...the question of whether the Mile High Action #1 has had any restoration has been mentioned several times within this thread....isn't one of the appeals of this or any other Mile High is that they where most likely or even absolutley not restored? confused-smiley-013.gif

(....or should I stick to The Yellow Kid, 'cause I have no idea what I'm talking about?)

What would be the point of restoring? Let's say the MH Action #1 is a 9.2 - does anyone really think getting it to a 9.4 would add value? It's already at the top. I doubt that anyone thinks a better copy will ever be found. I could live with a 9.2! cloud9.gif

Is he a completionist? We've talked about the big time keys he owns, but does his HG collection of DC Superheros extend past the keys? I was just wondering who might own all the non key Church DCs...

There was (probably still is, as far as I know) a fellow in Houston who had a bunch of Church Adventures, Leading 1, Green Lantern 1, key Star Spangleds and others. I don't run with that crowd so much any more, so I haven't seen him in a while.

Whether the Church Actions were restored depends more on the chain of title of a given book than on its condition. One or more early owners -- John Snyder is claimed to be an example -- tinkered with them to fix nit-picky flaws, such as a minor bindery tear or tiny chip. These minor flaws would have had little, if any, effect on the grade, but were simply restored in the pursuit of perfection. When graded by CGC, such books are now noted to have, for example, a dot of glue or a dot of color touch. Because the Dentist has the early Actions, but has not had any of them graded by CGC, the answer regarding them is unknown.

RHG

Showcase,

There were many pedigrees that were restored before restoration became a "PLOD". Back in the day tweaking comics with some color touch or sealing spine splits was fairly common.

I've owned some beautiful GA comics in my day, one comes to mind in fact, it was a SIlver Streak #3 CGC graded (1 of only 3) 8.0 with slight restoration.

The notes said that the cover was reglossed, that was it.

I asked Mark about any other notes and he said there were none. The book had actually come from a famous collection of books (can't remember which right now), that had plenty of keys with similiar resto.

So basically this book was a 8.0 before and after restoration the only difference being the value went from $2000 to $500.

the Church Action#1 was not restored to improve its condition. (Personally, I do not believe any work was done to it at all, however noone will know for sure until it is shown or graded.) What MIGHT have been done wouldnt be called "restoration" except as a derogative becase it might have minute color touch or some spots of glue here or there. And, IF any of that was done, it was done 35 years ago by a certain someone and NOT to "improve the grade from 9.2 to 9.4.... definitely amateur unwelcome little stuff like the other Church mega-keys received at the same time by the same hands.

It was purchased in the the early 1980s by the Dentist for around 25k

I have not read this entire thread, so this may have been brought up already....but how shocking was $25k for this book back in the 80's? What was the highest price sale of a comic book prior to this?

And in the 80's, how hard would people have laughed if you told them that in 2006 the dealer buy price for this book would be at least $1,000,000 ?

Back in the day tweaking comics with some color touch or sealing spine splits was fairly common.

Comicnut has it right here - some Larsons are fairly well known to have a bit of glue on the spine. As a Larson collector, I've just had to learn to accept it.

The Mile High copy of Amazing Man 7 I used to own had 2" of red pen color touch on the spine.

I do own the San Francisco copy of Flash 5, and it has a moderate amount of glue on the spine.

These are just a few examples - I've seen quite a few pedigree books that have been worked on over time.

We ask now, "Good grief, why did they do that!?!" - well, back then it was just guys who couldn't resist trying to "fix" a book. Sounds silly today, but it happened all the time.

Nowadays, we have people covertly "maximizing" a book's potential. I wonder what in future years we will look back on and ask, "Good grief, why did they do that!?!".

STEVE Got Larson?

It was purchased in the the early 1980s by the Dentist for around 25k

And in the 80's, how hard would people have laughed if you told them that in 2006 the dealer buy price for this book would be at least $1,000,000 ?
Rumor has it at $2,000,000 and the offer was declined.