• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GL 76 -- HG Prices Still Going Up

2,418 posts in this topic

I see that TeddieMercede put his GL #76 9.4 W up for sale here on the boards. Very nice copy!

Very nice indeed...why sell it's a Neal Adams.

Because if he sells it next year it`ll only fetch $3000.

Or, an unpressed, original owner, well centered copy may continue to fetch a premium.

Does such a copy of this book still exist?!

I can vouch for this copy-- it used to be mine. I sold it to Teddie back in 2006. Of all the slabs I sold, this is the only one I regret. And mostly because I sold it before the big run-up. :cry:

I got it from Peter Dixon of Paradise Comics in Canada. He was selling on behalf of the original owner and it was an unpressed copy. I also got a CONAN #1 9.4W from the same collection. I sold it around the same time as the GL #76. That's probably a 9.8 now.

Have we reached a point were collectors who prefer not to have pressed books would rather pay more for one?

Probably. However there is now a real dilemma for anyone who has an unpressed 9.4 copy after the quick healthy sale of Ted's copy. Which is do they sell now as an unpressed 9.4, do they press and try and get a 9.6 or do they hold for the future hoping that an unpressed 9.4 will maintain its value. Not an easy choice hm

Have we reached a point were collectors who prefer not to have pressed books would rather pay more for one?

Probably. However there is now a real dilemma for anyone who has an unpressed 9.4 copy after the quick healthy sale of Ted's copy. Which is do they sell now as an unpressed 9.4, do they press and try and get a 9.6 or do they hold for the future hoping that an unpressed 9.4 will maintain its value. Not an easy choice hm

Bad news for those of us who joined this hobby to relax and take a break from the rigors of real life!

Bad news for those of us who joined this hobby to relax and take a break from the rigors of real life!

Yes very bad news :screwy:

Hasn't this been the case for a while? Not just for collectors, but also for dealers who see a CPR opportunity? For all the talk on these boards about how "pressing doesn't matter", I'm guessing an unpressed GL #76 9.4 is going to be more interesting to you than a pressed GL #76 9.4, right? For the same $7K, you'd pick the unpressed copy, right?

I forgot to add to my original post...when I sold the book to Teddie, we both agreed that we did not like pressing. I'm impressed (no pun intended) then, that he kept the book the same as I sold it to him. Frankly, I'm shocked he didn't have it slowly squished flat just short of squeezing the ink out the paper for the extra .2 bump to sell it to the next guy for a hefty payday. At this point, if this was still my book, I would. Everyone's doing it, right?

Everyone's doing it, right?

Never have, never will. :sumo:

+1

I do not have one pressed book in my collection,and would back away from a deal if it was said to have been pressed.I would rather have an 8.5 GL #76 unpressed than a 9.4 pressed.My opinion is it's still resto even if CGC says it's not.

Hasn't this been the case for a while? Not just for collectors, but also for dealers who see a CPR opportunity? For all the talk on these boards about how "pressing doesn't matter", I'm guessing an unpressed GL #76 9.4 is going to be more interesting to you than a pressed GL #76 9.4, right? For the same $7K, you'd pick the unpressed copy, right?

I don't know. I'm asking you guys. I'm a dealer not a collector today. I may pay more for an unpressed copy if I know it has a shot at upgrade but I won't pay more for a pressed copy just because it's unpressed. That's just good business. People assume that pressing is an automatic grade increase. Pressing doesn't = an automatic grade increase.

I forgot to add to my original post...when I sold the book to Teddie, we both agreed that we did not like pressing. I'm impressed (no pun intended) then, that he kept the book the same as I sold it to him. Frankly, I'm shocked he didn't have it slowly squished flat just short of squeezing the ink out the paper for the extra .2 bump to sell it to the next guy for a hefty payday. At this point, if this was still my book, I would. Everyone's doing it, right?

Again, pressing doesn't = an automatic grade increase. Personally, I don't this book had a shot at upgrade anyway.

So anyone else notice that a second 9.8 has surfaced in the May Clink auction?

can the sound of the buyer of the 1st 9.8 screaming be heard in the vacuum of space? at least that copy was purportedly an OO copy that wasn't pressed. what's the likelihood that this wasn't originally a 9.6 that was squished?

So anyone else notice that a second 9.8 has surfaced in the May Clink auction?

can the sound of the buyer of the 1st 9.8 screaming be heard in the vacuum of space? at least that copy was purportedly an OO copy that wasn't pressed. what's the likelihood that this wasn't originally a 9.6 that was squished?

If the buyer bought that first 9.8 thinking that another would never surface they were deluding themselves. There will be more. As for the squishing, there is a more than fair chance that it is pressed. But it is also possible that enough resubs of a choice 9.6 finally paid off. Everyone has seen 9.6s that belong in 9.8 holders (and vice versa) so who knows? Lots of people will assume it has been pressed, and without evidence to the contrary one should probably assume that it is (if you are someone who has a problem with pressing).