• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GL 76 -- HG Prices Still Going Up

2,418 posts in this topic

There was a 9.4 sale for $18K+ in '09 on CL. This book was badly overhyped to get to those levels and is finally coming back down to earth.Text book example of bubble bursting.

That was right after the $30K sale of the 1st 9.6, right? I remember people at the time thinking that it might be a confirmation of the price established by the 9.6 sale.

Instead, it turns out to have been an abysmal purchase, even if resubbed into a 9.6.

There was a 9.4 sale for $18K+ in '09 on CL. This book was badly overhyped to get to those levels and is finally coming back down to earth.Text book example of bubble bursting.

That was right after the $30K sale of the 1st 9.6, right? I remember people at the time thinking that it might be a confirmation of the price established by the 9.6 sale.

Instead, it turns out to have been an abysmal purchase, even if resubbed into a 9.6.

Yeah, unless it pressed into one of the 9.8s by some miracle and even then the seller would only have broken even on the second 9.8 sale!

Doesn't the lousy economy play a huge part in the "value" drops? I mean, it isn't necessarily just less desire or less hunting for high grade GL 76's. When (and if) the economy gets well, those 18K-30K books may be going for 25K-40K.

Not predicting, but it could be so.

Personally, I think ANY GL #76 9.8 or below, is not worth over 4.5K. Zip, zilch, naughta, not.

I'm happy with my 8.5 white pager. What more could someone want than a very nice looking copy?

(thumbs u The $30K 9.6 sale was in June '09 and the the $18K 9.4 sale was in Sep '09. Assuming it was resubbed, yes it would have had to garner a 9.8 in order for the buyer to not take a bath. Of course it could have been bought by someone with no intent of resale, just at the height of the hype. At least I hope so, as I think a lot of people suspected at the time that it was a case of over-exhuberance that drove it that high which is irrelevant if the guy doesn't plan on ever selling.

Doesn't the lousy economy play a huge part in the "value" drops? I mean, it isn't necessarily just less desire or less hunting for high grade GL 76's. When (and if) the economy gets well, those 18K-30K books may be going for 25K-40K.

Personally, I think ANY GL #76 9.8 or below, is not worth over 4.5K. Zip, zilch, naughta, not.

I'm happy with my 8.5 white pager. What more could someone want than a very nice looking copy?

Highly doubt it. The economy had already collapsed in Sep '09 when that purchase happened. As a matter of fact I believe some people were pointing out the bad economy as a reason for the sale. People moving money into comics as a safer investment in turbulent times, or some such nonsense. I think it was just a matter of an overhyped book (shrug) It happens.

All sorts of comic book records have been set post-financial crisis. In the midst of the current economic instability, all sorts of records have been set yet again.

GL 76 is simply a classic case of super high prices bringing out all sorts of supply and overwhelming demand. The bottom line is that there is no such thing as a mainstream BA book that is rare in high grade.

All sorts of comic book records have been set post-financial crisis. In the midst of the current economic instability, all sorts of records have been set yet again.

GL 76 is simply a classic case of super high prices bringing out all sorts of supply and overwhelming demand. The bottom line is that there is no such thing as a mainstream BA book that is rare in high grade.

And if there appears to be one just sell the current highest graded copy in a high profile auction for a ton and watch a bunch more show up seemingly out of nowhere as people try to catch the same lightning bolt. The original person who sold for a mint can then buy a copy back and pocket the proceeds...

Wasn't it Doc Joe that sold the $30K 9.6? Whoever did could now buy that book back and still have $20K in their pocket after only a few years. That is a little sickening.

Wasn't it Doc Joe that sold the $30K 9.6? Whoever did could now buy that book back and still have $20K in their pocket after only a few years. That is a little sickening.

No, it was Joe Serpico/otherworldsj, and his timing and instincts in selling his book when he did were impeccable.

I think what threw people off for a long time was that GL 76s had been going for very decent money in 9.4 for a while, without any exponential increase in the population of 9.4s and the number of 9.6 copies remaining at 1, which caused many people (myself included) to start thinking that maybe the book really was that hard to find in HG.

But once Joe's 9.6 copy sold, the floodgates opened and the inevitable price crash occurred.

that maybe the book really was that hard to find in HG.

Maybe it was. The existence of high grade copies today doesn't mean the book wasn't rare in HG once.

Maybe it was. The existence of high grade copies today doesn't mean the book wasn't rare in HG once.

If you're talking about pressing, it means that there still had to be a large pool of fundamentally sound books with the odd pressable defect that could benefit from pressing.

If you're talking about pressing, it means that there still had to be a large pool of fundamentally sound books with the odd pressable defect that could benefit from pressing.

I think this is one of the most 'abused' books in the census. Yes there were a number of sound books to begin with but i would say 75% of the books in 9.4 or above have been pressed(i know of at least 8 of them) and dont forget depending on the amount of work that could be done it is certainly possible to turn a 9.0 into a 9.4. In fact when was the last time you saw an old label GL #76 in 9.4 above? Do any exist? I also know of 3 copies that were cracked and re-submitted without sending in the old blue label and dont forget these are just the ones i know about so i wouldnt be surprised if there werent others. As far as the figures go this is one of the most distorted books in the census.

Since when do you consider "sound" 8.5-9.0-ish copies HG? I thought I was speaking your language.

Looks like someone is trying to cash out. This isn't the original 9.8 from Heritage (I snagged the scan and the number is different), so it has either been resubbed or this is the one that just sold most recently (which I don't have the scan for and Clink has already taken it down).

GL #76 9.8 on Clink

Looks like someone is trying to cash out. This isn't the original 9.8 from Heritage (I snagged the scan and the number is different), so it has either been resubbed or this is the one that just sold most recently (which I don't have the scan for and Clink has already taken it down).

GL #76 9.8 on Clink

The first 9.8 had WP and was sold on Heritage. This copy has OWW pages and sold on CL in one of their past auctions (May I think) for 15k... There are only 2 9.8s so far. The guy who owns it is the fellow from pristinecomics.com. He started out by asking 25k for it ( he also has it listed on ebay) but apparently he seems to have dropped from the stars down to earth. IMO, even at 21k , the asking is a joke.

I agree 21K for a 9.8 is a joke! Yesterday a 9.6 only brought 7K at auction on CL! I knew the bubble would eventually burst!

Yup !! Further down the line HG GL 76 will be available to most... and at sane prices.

I agree 21K for a 9.8 is a joke! Yesterday a 9.6 only brought 7K at auction on CL! I knew the bubble would eventually burst!

Yup !! Further down the line HG GL 76 will be available to most... and at sane prices.

I hope it is fast. I would love to own a sharp 9.2 or 9.4. Certainly not at the price point they are at now.