• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GL 76 -- HG Prices Still Going Up

2,418 posts in this topic

So anyone else notice that a second 9.8 has surfaced in the May Clink auction?

can the sound of the buyer of the 1st 9.8 screaming be heard in the vacuum of space? at least that copy was purportedly an OO copy that wasn't pressed. what's the likelihood that this wasn't originally a 9.6 that was squished?

Never mind the 1st 9.8 buyer, the guy who should really be screaming is the guy who bought the 1st 9.6 off of CC. I think when all is said and done the value of his book will have declined around 66%.

Ok is it official now? This is the most overrated BA book out there.

hey JC, where ya been? :jokealert:

can the sound of the buyer of the 1st 9.8 screaming be heard in the vacuum of space? at least that copy was purportedly an OO copy that wasn't pressed. what's the likelihood that this wasn't originally a 9.6 that was squished?

Never mind the 1st 9.8 buyer, the guy who should really be screaming is the guy who bought the 1st 9.6 off of CC. I think when all is said and done the value of his book will have declined around 66%.

Don't hate. Participate! :blahblah:

unless the owner maximizes it's potential. i'm pretty confident serpi didn't squeeze it

He bought it from Ewert. It was already maximized.

Anyways, at the rate things are going, I`m not even sure he would get $30K for a 9.8.

I sold my GL 76 9.4 to Bronze Bruce who sold it to Ewert...I wonder if that was my copy.....It was the first copy to be graded 9.4, so I suspect it was....

It's going to take me awhile to absorb this........ :cry:

Hard to say. Bruce never said anything about Ewert`s 9.6 copy formerly being his 9.4 copy.

Don't hate. Participate! :blahblah:

Just stating the obvious. Whomever paid $37K for the last copy probably krapped his pants last night. Great cover but beyond that not much that really warrants that kind of dough for a BA book.

this book is not even on my want list. :screwy:

Exactly! :applause:

Let`s not get silly here. The book is still a great book, and I would love to own a nicely centered 9.4 or 9.6 copy. It just wasn`t worth the crazy prices it`s been going for.

I agree. It's a very important book, full of terrific art and a good story line and the cover is going to be considered a classic one day.

I personally think that the ground swell of support for this book will keep prices buoyant up to the VF range. There are just so many people that want this book. It's right up there with ASM #121/122, X-men #94 and a slew of other smaller keys that have tons of demand no matter how much supply there is.

Let`s not get silly here. The book is still a great book, and I would love to own a nicely centered 9.4 or 9.6 copy. It just wasn`t worth the crazy prices it`s been going for.

Well even at the $16K threshold its already at "crazy" prices, IMO. I think people were caught up in its perceived rarity in high grade but what a difference a year makes. Give it a couple more years and more high grade copies should be coming out of the woodwork.

Well even at the $16K threshold its already at "crazy" prices, IMO. I think people were caught up in its perceived rarity in high grade but what a difference a year makes. Give it a couple more years and more high grade copies should be coming out of the woodwork.

I can't remember what the last 9.8 looked like, but this one was a weak 9.8 IMHO due to the centering issues and top right corner. Add in the fact that it is the 2nd 9.8 to come up for sale and the prices tanked accordingly. Look at how 9.8 prices on Hulk #181 reacted as more copies entered the market - basically the same pattern (wasn't there a boardie that bought multiple 9.8 Hulk #181s close to the peak?). That is the problem with chasing the "top copy" game with any post-1963 book IMHO - there are a ton of other high grade copies out there waiting to be bought, pressed and slabbed.

That being said, GL #76 will likely always have much lower HG numbers in comparison to most other BA keys so the prices will have some support outside of the uber-high grade (9.6+) range. FWIW, I hope that 9.4s come down to the $2K - $3K range so I can snag a well centered white page copy at a more reasonable price.

[

That being said, GL #76 will likely always have much lower HG numbers in comparison to most other BA keys so the prices will have some support outside of the uber-high grade (9.6+) range. FWIW, I hope that 9.4s come down to the $2K - $3K range so I can snag a well centered white page copy at a more reasonable price.

ding ding ding +1 and ^^

Well even at the $16K threshold its already at "crazy" prices, IMO.

You`ll notice I still haven`t bought a copy yet. ;)

unless the owner maximizes it's potential. i'm pretty confident serpi didn't squeeze it

He bought it from Ewert. It was already maximized.

Anyways, at the rate things are going, I`m not even sure he would get $30K for a 9.8.

I sold my GL 76 9.4 to Bronze Bruce who sold it to Ewert...I wonder if that was my copy.....It was the first copy to be graded 9.4, so I suspect it was....

It's going to take me awhile to absorb this........ :cry:

Hard to say. Bruce never said anything about Ewert`s 9.6 copy formerly being his 9.4 copy.

That was way before and I'm quite sure NOT the same copy. George's/Mike's 9.4, sweet as it was, had a small defect to one corner as I recall and also had 1-2 smaller stresses -- making it no better than a 9.4 IMO (possibly a strong 9.2 on a different "grading day"). It couldn't make 9.6, no way a 9.8. Rest easy Mike :foryou: