• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GL 76 -- HG Prices Still Going Up

2,418 posts in this topic

So anyone else notice that a second 9.8 has surfaced in the May Clink auction?

can the sound of the buyer of the 1st 9.8 screaming be heard in the vacuum of space? at least that copy was purportedly an OO copy that wasn't pressed. what's the likelihood that this wasn't originally a 9.6 that was squished?

Never mind the 1st 9.8 buyer, the guy who should really be screaming is the guy who bought the 1st 9.6 off of CC. I think when all is said and done the value of his book will have declined around 66%.

unless the owner maximizes it's potential. i'm pretty confident serpi didn't squeeze it

He bought it from Ewert. It was already maximized.

Anyways, at the rate things are going, I`m not even sure he would get $30K for a 9.8.

I sold my GL 76 9.4 to Bronze Bruce who sold it to Ewert...I wonder if that was my copy.....It was the first copy to be graded 9.4, so I suspect it was....

It's going to take me awhile to absorb this........ :cry:

Hard to say. Bruce never said anything about Ewert`s 9.6 copy formerly being his 9.4 copy.

That was way before and I'm quite sure NOT the same copy. George's/Mike's 9.4, sweet as it was, had a small defect to one corner as I recall and also had 1-2 smaller stresses -- making it no better than a 9.4 IMO (possibly a strong 9.2 on a different "grading day"). It couldn't make 9.6, no way a 9.8. Rest easy Mike :foryou:

I do remember those defects. I was just assuming that being it went to Ewert, before the big scandal, that he may have altered it.

By any accounts, I miss having a copy in my collection. I found a collector who has a copy that is simply spectacular. I know for a fact that it's unaltered as he's had it for years !!..It's easily a 9.4/9.6 copy and WHITE pages !!...Course, getting it from him is a problem, as he doesn't want to move it at the present time. I am working on making an offer, but it's tough being ungraded. How much to offer ? GPA ?....For a 9.4 ?...What if it's a 9.2 ?!

The Twin Cities copy in August Heritage auction is a nice 9.6 white pager. Based on what the TC books have gone for, I imagine the price could be a record.

can the sound of the buyer of the 1st 9.8 screaming be heard in the vacuum of space? at least that copy was purportedly an OO copy that wasn't pressed. what's the likelihood that this wasn't originally a 9.6 that was squished?

Never mind the 1st 9.8 buyer, the guy who should really be screaming is the guy who bought the 1st 9.6 off of CC. I think when all is said and done the value of his book will have declined around 66%.

unless the owner maximizes it's potential. i'm pretty confident serpi didn't squeeze it

Anyways, at the rate things are going, I`m not even sure he would get $30K for a 9.8.

I sold my GL 76 9.4 to Bronze Bruce who sold it to Ewert...I wonder if that was my copy.....It was the first copy to be graded 9.4, so I suspect it was....

Hard to say. Bruce never said anything about Ewert`s 9.6 copy formerly being his 9.4 copy.

That was way before and I'm quite sure NOT the same copy. George's/Mike's 9.4, sweet as it was, had a small defect to one corner as I recall and also had 1-2 smaller stresses -- making it no better than a 9.4 IMO (possibly a strong 9.2 on a different "grading day"). It couldn't make 9.6, no way a 9.8. Rest easy Mike :foryou:

I do remember those defects. I was just assuming that being it went to Ewert, before the big scandal, that he may have altered it.

By any accounts, I miss having a copy in my collection. I found a collector who has a copy that is simply spectacular. I know for a fact that it's unaltered as he's had it for years !!..It's easily a 9.4/9.6 copy and WHITE pages !!...Course, getting it from him is a problem, as he doesn't want to move it at the present time. I am working on making an offer, but it's tough being ungraded. How much to offer ? GPA ?....For a 9.4 ?...What if it's a 9.2 ?!

The Twin Cities copy in August Heritage auction is a nice 9.6 white pager. Based on what the TC books have gone for, I imagine the price could be a record.

The TC copy should be a good indicator of the market for HG copies. If it doesn't do a strong number after all of the high values brought by other books from this pedigree then this book is definitely in a serious freefall. Even if the TC does just ok I would be worried about the bubble having popped.

Have we reached a point were collectors who prefer not to have pressed books would rather pay more for one?

Hasn't this been the case for a while? Not just for collectors, but also for dealers who see a CPR opportunity? For all the talk on these boards about how "pressing doesn't matter", I'm guessing an unpressed GL #76 9.4 is going to be more interesting to you than a pressed GL #76 9.4, right? For the same $7K, you'd pick the unpressed copy, right?

From my personal point of view, I believe we have always been there right from the start and have stated that as such. :gossip:

I never brought onto the rationale that Borock, Lautebach, Nelson, and all of these other pressers were saying at the time that there was never any need to disclose as nobody cared and anybody would pay the same price whether a book was pressed or unpressed. :screwy:

I have never heard such a load of BS and anybody who believed them at the time must have been total fools as it was so obvious their real rationale was just to line their pockets. :tonofbricks:

The TC copy should be a good indicator of the market for HG copies. If it doesn't do a strong number after all of the high values brought by other books from this pedigree then this book is definitely in a serious freefall. Even if the TC does just ok I would be worried about the bubble having popped.

The bubble popped a while ago, it's just a matter of how badly it popped.

The bubble popped a while ago, it's just a matter of how badly it popped.

GL #76 is just following the path of any other late SA and early BA keys - once a new "highest graded" copy shows up, or more copies in the same "highest grade", the prices go down for subsequent issues. This is why I have always sold off any 9.8 (and 9.6 as well) books as soon as I get them back from CGC even though I paid way less for them in the first place. At that grade you might as well lock in as much of the profit as you can before then next 9.6/9.8/9.9/10.0 pops up.

Besides, a nice 9.2/9.4 of any book still looks very sweet in a holder. (thumbs u

I look at the trends on Ebay all the time,and am noticing 8.0s are getting 1150.00 to 1200.00 is'nt that a fairly aggressive price? Does'nt look like the bottoms falling out at all. (shrug)

Maybe not at the VF level, I don't track VFs so I don't know. But the bottom has definitely fallen out at the 9.4 and up level. When 9.4s are selling for up to $10K less than they were 2 years ago and 9.6s for $20K less, yeah you can call that a bubble popping.

So the TC 9.6 copy sold for $9K or so at Heritage. How does that compare with the last 9.6 sale?

And the 9.4 in the same auction came in below $5K. When's the last time we were at this level for 9.4s?

So the TC 9.6 copy sold for $9K or so at Heritage. How does that compare with the last 9.6 sale?

And the 9.4 in the same auction came in below $5K. When's the last time we were at this level for 9.4s?

well, to be somewhat fair the 9.4 looked like a 9.4 does these days (an old school 9.2)

Looking at the last several 9.6 sales on Heritage (should make for a nice apple to apple comparison) gave the following results:

8-17-11: $9,560 (TC copy)

5-5-11: $8,365

4-10-11: $10,157

11-18-10: $14,340

So the TC book did a bit better than the one in May, but that could be due to the reputation of the pedigree. I would think from these numbers that the value of the average non-ped 9.6 is probably now down to roughly $8,500 or a bit less if I were being conservative. It is a bit scary that you see around a 20% drop between results here (though if we included other results from different sites this would obviously change this dynamic some).

And, 5-4-07 a 9.4 OW-W sold on Heritage for $8,365. So the 9.6 copies are now down to roughly where the 9.4 books were 4 years ago. With yesterday's sale of a 9.4 at under $5K that puts them at roughly half of the current 9.6 price, which is fairly typical (and means that 9.4 prices have roughly halved in 4 years).

Looking at the last several 9.6 sales on Heritage (should make for a nice apple to apple comparison) gave the following results:

So the TC book did a bit better than the one in May, but that could be due to the reputation of the pedigree. I would think from these numbers that the value of the average non-ped 9.6 is probably now down to roughly $8,500 or a bit less if I were being conservative. It is a bit scary that you see around a 20% drop between results here (though if we included other results from different sites this would obviously change this dynamic some).

And, 5-4-07 a 9.4 OW-W sold on Heritage for $8,365. So the 9.6 copies are now down to roughly where the 9.4 books were 4 years ago. With yesterday's sale of a 9.4 at under $5K that puts them at roughly half of the current 9.6 price, which is fairly typical (and means that 9.4 prices have roughly halved in 4 years).

Awesome, thanks for the data! (thumbs u

That's quite a drop over the last few years, considering someone paid $25,000 less than a year ago (according to GPA) and one sold for $30,500 in Jun 2009. :o

That's quite a drop over the last few years, considering someone paid $25,000 less than a year ago (according to GPA) and one sold for $30,500 in Jun 2009. :o

The UHG market is too volatile for my liking,I'll stick with the 8.0-9.4s the waters fine.

The UHG market is too volatile for my liking,I'll stick with the 8.0-9.4s the waters fine.

+1, though generally 8.0-9.2 for me with an occasional reach for a 9.4 when I can get it for a good deal trolling around when auctions are closing...

And yes, quite a drop even over the last few months. To go from 14 to 10 to 8 on that one site in the span of about 6 months ought to be pretty disconcerting to anyone who has bought or wants to buy a GL 76 in the uber HG space. The book is certainly liquid if you want to sell, but you will be taking it in the shorts if you bought a year or two ago.