• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Larson Copy of Marvel Comics #1 on Heritage

217 posts in this topic

he means Showcase came here and monomaniacally badgered all of us to agree that his 1842 first comic book Obadiah Oldbusk was as worthy a collectible as an Action#1. We all (most of us ) grew frustrated with his singleminded and endless posts that none of us could make stop no matter what we said to him.

And now you, in this thread, have put Showcase in a similar position because no matter what he says, you feel much more strongly about you side of the "argument' than he does. He doesnt even collect HG slabs!! He just doesnt like restored books. period. No matter how many times he says t you think he;s part of an anti-resto cabal!

ps,, I dont buy restored books either, and dont mind the purple label or the lack of notes on the label. I just have no use or interest in a restored comic and prefer UNrestored copies.

The other note I would make is that Centaurman, besides being one of the nicest guys around, is a proud owner of restored books and is a known "cracked" slab addict.

he means Showcase came here and monomaniacally badgered all of us to agree that his 1842 first comic book Obadiah Oldbusk was as worthy a collectible as an Action#1. We all (most of us ) grew frustrated with his singleminded and endless posts that none of us could make stop no matter what we said to him.

And now you, in this thread, have put Showcase in a similar position because no matter what he says, you feel much more strongly about you side of the "argument' than he does. He doesnt even collect HG slabs!! He just doesnt like restored books. period. No matter how many times he says t you think he;s part of an anti-resto cabal!

ps,, I dont buy restored books either, and dont mind the purple label or the lack of notes on the label. I just have no use or interest in a restored comic and prefer UNrestored copies.

The other note I would make is that Centaurman, besides being one of the nicest guys around, is a proud owner of restored books and is a known "cracked" slab addict.

I love cracking me some slabs!!

hi.gif

It's so hard to know which slabs to crack.

Like those purple slabs for books graded "apparent poor."

I feel like cracking them open ut I'm afraid of having guilt feelings if anyone should ever look at the book and, God forbid, mistake it for a book that wasn't actually poor but had been improved to achieve a grade of poor.

It's so hard to know which slabs to crack.

Like those purple slabs for books graded "apparent poor."

I feel like cracking them open ut I'm afraid of having guilt feelings if anyone should ever look at the book and, God forbid, mistake it for a book that wasn't actually poor but had been improved to achieve a grade of poor.

Funny.

But, crack them all! Except for high grade blue labels I guess. I mean, I cracked mine anyway, but it probably is a good idea to keep them slabbed, since it would cost so much to re-slab them.

And I can tell you without a doubt that, aside from those who would shun a restored action 1 to pay overguide for an unrestored wambi the jungle boy, the single biggest factor making restored books undesirable is not that work was done but that the system is designed to make it ambiguous WHAT work was done.

Where's the love for Wambi? confused-smiley-013.gif Not only is there no Wambi #1 graded as high as the highest Action #1, but there are more Action #1's graded than all Wambi issues combined. I would propose to you that Wambi #1 in high grade is rarer than action #1 insane.gif

"Same person"????

How dare youses?

We are not the same person.

Yes, we are.

No.

Yes.

Shut up.

My preciousssssss

So Bluechip,

I see once we get off the subject of me being responsible for all the restoration woes of the comic world, you have a sense of humor.....that will help you fit in just fine here flowerred.gif

You now, for a while I tried to collect the earliest comic books, but got frustrated when they never appreciated in the guide (even if you couldn't get it at that price, the guide kept insisting you could). And, after seeing the official word on which was the first change several times in several years, I thought it might not be a good idea to plunk big books down on a "first" that could end up being relegated to second or third....

I went through the EXACT same experience. I finally moved them all, most at a loss, and was stuck with the Skippy's Own Book of Comics. That book took me forever to move Ken Stribling finally took pity on me and traded me out of it. I think he finally got rid of it one day.

I still really appreciate the early comics, and wouldn't mind owning a Detective Dan, or a Series One FF, but probably won't...

I've been trying to tell you guys....and pardon me for being sign-offtopic.gif for this post, but you can get CRUSHED buying the older stuff IF you don't know the market, and buy the wrong books in the wrong condition for the wrong price.( as is this case with all collectibles ). Some of my most glorious returns have been on pre-1934 books....but I know what I'm doing, so it's no accident ( humbly ).

I have always heard that you never want to buy Westerns or Classics Illustrateds as an investment.....and I never have. But I'm sure there are collectors who have made them their specialty, and really really know those 2 markets, and have identified 5-10 books that are magic eveytime they buy, sell, or trade them. Gee...just think if someone were to do that with Victorian and Platinum Age keys .... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I've been trying to tell you guys....and pardon me for being sign-offtopic.gif for this post, but you can get CRUSHED buying the older stuff IF you don't know the market, and buy the wrong books in the wrong condition for the wrong price.( as is this case with all collectibles ). Some of my most glorious returns have been on pre-1934 books....but I know what I'm doing, so it's no accident ( humbly ).

I have always heard that you never want to buy Westerns or Classics Illustrateds as an investment.....and I never have. But I'm sure there are collectors who have made them their specialty, and really really know those 2 markets, and have identified 5-10 books that are magic eveytime they buy, sell, or trade them. Gee...just think if someone were to do that with Victorian and Platinum Age keys .... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Not everyone is an investor like yourself...some people buy the "older stuff...the wrong books...in the wrong condition" because they just like them, with no intent of flipping them for a profit at some point down the road. thumbsup2.gif

Not everyone is an investor like yourself...some people buy the "older stuff...the wrong books...in the wrong condition" because they just like them, with no intent of flipping them for a profit at some point down the road. thumbsup2.gif

yes, I understand....and I have quite a few comics possibly to your suprise that may never go up in value, and I don't care because I love them for what they are.

I only mentioned the above summary because 2 different Boards members did decide to sell their Victorian/Platinum Age books, and had a bad experience.....I was pointing out that not everyone who decides to sell an older book from this time period is destined to have a bad outcome. smirk.gif

Sorry Bluechip, but I tried to warn you confused-smiley-013.gif How's that headache? banghead.gif

I'm sorry Bluechip, but this just does not make sense. I refuse to believe that a restored comic book will be more desirable if CGC were to change their restoration description by becoming extremely detail oriented with thieir summary by offering a 300 word intensely scientific conservator summary of work performed vs. the current 15-20 word general summary.

Yup, the less information, the better! screwy.gif

<<<<<<<<

Not everyone is an investor like yourself...some people buy the "older stuff...the wrong books...in the wrong condition" because they just like them, with no intent of flipping them for a profit at some point down the road. >>>>

That was not actually written to me,but I thought it was a good time to reiterate that anytime you pay money for something it shoudl be money you're either willing and able to lose or able to get a return on it -- if you need to.

So, anytime you purchase something that costs as much as it would to get a good meal, a good home or a good surgeon, you should try to pay what it's worth or what you think it should be worth once others realize how astute you were to buy it.

Still remember when I was buying my first house and realtors tried to convince me not to think about what it would resell for, "just buy what you want." That's all well and good until you have to move and you find that you're the only person to whom the house was worth that much.

That said, people also tend to obsess about undervalued stuff and be too afraid to pay what they feel in their guy it should be worth. Put a Pep 22 (or any undervalued book) up on ebay and you'll get a certain number of people afraid to pay more than guide because, well, it's the guide and it says it's only worth so much (like in the case of Pep 22, as little as 15% of what people actually pay). And even the market savvy buyers have to take it into account when they know that no matter what a book is going for, the guide may continue to insist it's going for less. So, if and when you have to resell, you'll be dealing with people who initially think it's a fair price or even a bargain, then they look at the guide and suddenly are afraid to pay it.

I'm just glad Overstreet isn't in the real estate business. Imagine buying a house at FMV and then seeing a listing that insists your home (and every other one on your block) is actually worth something entirely different.

yes, I understand....and I have quite a few comics possibly to your suprise that may never go up in value, and I don't care because I love them for what they are.

yup. and 2 of your biggest are from circa 1842!! : )

ba-da=BING!

But when it comes to people who devote time and energy to insisting other people share that view, I question why it's worth their time.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And you would be doing what?

What I would be doing is actually not trying to get people to share my view. Haven't told one person they should buy restored books if they don't want them.

And I don't mind people trying to get others to think this or that is more valuable. But I do think that when people set out to attack the value of other people's belongings and investments, they should be very circumspect about it.

So, if you read my posts, what I'd hope you'd come away with is that the only "view" I am trying to get others to share is that more information about restored books is better than less (because less information is always misleading and often intentionally so). Not saying to skew the information or make people conclude the info means one thing or another. Just to provide the info.

That said, people also tend to obsess about undervalued stuff and be too afraid to pay what they feel in their guy it should be worth. Put a Pep 22 (or any undervalued book) up on ebay and you'll get a certain number of people afraid to pay more than guide because, well, it's the guide and it says it's only worth so much (like in the case of Pep 22, as little as 15% of what people actually pay). And even the market savvy buyers have to take it into account when they know that no matter what a book is going for, the guide may continue to insist it's going for less. So, if and when you have to resell, you'll be dealing with people who initially think it's a fair price or even a bargain, then they look at the guide and suddenly are afraid to pay it.

Ok Bluechip...now you are speaking my language. Once again I 100% agree with you...a new trend for you and I wink.gif. I missed buying a VERY key rare book about 2 years ago on Ebay, because as bad as I wanted it, I kept looking at the OPG for a gauge on pricing, which turned out to be about 20% of the books auction/market value... I found this out the hard way and got outbid in the last 5 seconds of the auction, as the high bid tripled within those last few seconds.

The good that came from that was a lesson ---- the key word to a any "price guide" is the word "guide"...it's not an absolute, a guarantee, a fact, or even an educated guess....it is merely a guide. Now,when there is something I really want, I am the guide, and I choose the value( if it's very rare..like your Pep 22 example)....that has worked out much better for me, and I am no longer losing books to other savvy collectors, who are themselves, their own guide. With that said, I am only "my own Guide" on super rare books that only come on the market every few years, or even once in a decade. If I want something that is more commonly available, I will check auction house results and properly gauge values with proven historical sales data...no need to make up my own pricing when the info is right there at my fingertips. Keep up the great posts

So, if you read my posts, what I'd hope you'd come away with is that the only "view" I am trying to get others to share is that more information about restored books is better than less (because less information is always misleading and often intentionally so). Not saying to skew the information or make people conclude the info means one thing or another. Just to provide the info.

I agree with this completely. This is also why I would call CGC for graders notes before I bought a PLOD. Not a ton of info, but more than what's on the label (usually).

It would be great if CGC could start a seachable online database for restored books with the specifics of the work done. Such a database wouldn't give away their grading standards. Just what they found in the way of restoration. Since they input all that info into a computer anyway you would think that they could just upload it to the web.

As for people sharing your views... People would probably be more accepting if you didn't label everyone as one of "them" (people conspiring to drive down the price of PLOD's) when they don't agree with your views. You didn't it to Showcase at the drop of a hat. People respond better when you don't make them out to be the villian. Just a helpful thought.