• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which one would you choose ????
2 2

5,844 posts in this topic

You would think accurately nailing down color page would be the easiest part of grading...much simpler than resto detection and assigning a technical grade.

Exactly correct, but I suspect it is all part of the 'game' - while CGC has tightened their grading standards, their page quality standards have slipped of late.

Why? Because page quality is becoming increasingly more important to buyers... and CGC has always been geared towards SELLERS.

But then I turn around and crack a small label book that's listed off-white to white and it is very BROWN on the inside. Go figure.

Either way, collector confidence isn't helped out any.

But then again we have little choice. Place our trust in the Greed Merchants with their lack of disclosure and lack of morals?...uh, no thanks.

STEVE

So it seems that Detective 27 and Action 1 always win when put up against others. Time to ban those from this thread? wink.gif

Let's match 'em up against each other for the 1st time in this thread...(.I think)

Both sold several years ago for approx. $48,000.

Which Grail would you choose?

Action 1 graders notes: "small donor piece added to 1st wrap with tape"

1516629-action1.jpg

........................or

1516629-tec27.jpg

I'll weigh in after you guys on this one

If I subbed that Action 1, I would have thought I won the lotto. 3.0 with a taped spine?!?!? screwy.gif

I had a Whiz 1 with slightly brittle pages at the spine and a clean split. My friend told me I should tape the spine and submit it because both the grade and PQ would go up. Little did I know....

What a unanimous decision on taking Tec 27 over Action 1. Well, it's obvious what i'd pick.. It's my dream to own a tec 27 someday

hello all...

B, I think I will have an extra one when you are ready (3-4 years or sooner?), I am sure we can work something out smile.gif

rick

So it seems that Detective 27 and Action 1 always win when put up against others. Time to ban those from this thread? wink.gif

Let's match 'em up against each other for the 1st time in this thread...(.I think)

Both sold several years ago for approx. $48,000.

Which Grail would you choose?

Action 1 graders notes: "small donor piece added to 1st wrap with tape"

1516629-action1.jpg

........................or

1516629-tec27.jpg

I'll weigh in after you guys on this one

Time for a sign-rantpost.gif

I'd pass on both for the price. Here is why.

As many of you know, I am a devout slab cracker. After cracking dozens of these things, here is what I have learned:

As it relates to page quality -

If the label says - WHITE pages ----- expect Off-white (in some cases- cream to off-white.

If the label says - Off-White to WHITE pages --- expect Cream to Off-White or Cream

If the label says - Cream to Off-white -- Expect them to be slightly brittle and tan

Anything else -- back away from the book

Since both of these books have "cream to off-white" on the label, and the bottom left corner of the Tec 27 looks brittle, along with its tan exposed corner, I'd pass.

Now that begs the question, do the holders cause rapid page deterioration? Or do I just have a different interpretation of white, off-white, etc pages are?

Finally, someone that has had a similar experience to mine! I stay away from anything below off-white, but that is only for very special books.

hello all...

I have always accepted cream to off white or better on the cgc label....I have sent in about 40 GA Bats so far, and I noted page quality on most all, and CGC came back with virtually identical listings (if I thought white, then I got white, if I had off white, or cream to off white, pretty much in every case that is what it came back with)...only on one, did I note light tan to cream, that came back cream to off white...

so, that begs to answer the question, do the holders advance page issues?

rick

hello all...

I have always accepted cream to off white or better on the cgc label....I have sent in about 40 GA Bats so far, and I noted page quality on most all, and CGC came back with virtually identical listings (if I thought white, then I got white, if I had off white, or cream to off white, pretty much in every case that is what it came back with)...only on one, did I note light tan to cream, that came back cream to off white...

rick

Maybe that is the central question. And if it is, it needs to be tested and discovered immediately.

Paging Selegue!!!

CGC should contract Jack to run the chemical analysis.

hello all...

rick

Maybe that is the central question. And if it is, it needs to be tested and discovered immediately.

Paging Selegue!!!

Bill paged me on a PM. This isn't a thread that I usually look at because the books are out of my league.

I've wondered about whether enclosing the pages accelerates browning too. I'm satisfied now that the materials (do I remember right that the inside layer is Barex?) should be archivally safe. The upside of slabbing the little darlings is that less oxygen gets at them, which should slow down browning. On the other hand, IF the browning has already started, then the cellulose is already producing acetic acid (part of that "old pulp" smell that comic-book collectors love, even though it's eating their books!). Unless the acid is vented, it catalyzes further breakdown of the paper, producing more acid, and so on. How much buffer does a sheet of microchamber paper have in it? Overall, that's yet another reason why I don't collect slabbed comic books. (Except for my wonderful Marvel Spotlight 25 CGC 9.6 that I'm sure someone out there is clamoring for.)

Probably the analysis to run would be to periodically sample the atmosphere inside slabs with a browning comic, a new comic and empty over time. If the acetic acid level rises in the slab with the browning comic book, that's a problem.

Jack

hello all...

rick

Paging Selegue!!!

Bill paged me on a PM. This isn't a thread that I usually look at because the books are out of my league.

I've wondered about whether enclosing the pages accelerates browning too. I'm satisfied now that the materials (do I remember right that the inside layer is Barex?) should be archivally safe. The upside of slabbing the little darlings is that less oxygen gets at them, which should slow down browning. On the other hand, IF the browning has already started, then the cellulose is already producing acetic acid (part of that "old pulp" smell that comic-book collectors love, even though it's eating their books!). Unless the acid is vented, it catalyzes further breakdown of the paper, producing more acid, and so on. How much buffer does a sheet of microchamber paper have in it? Overall, that's yet another reason why I don't collect slabbed comic books. (Except for my wonderful Marvel Spotlight 25 CGC 9.6 that I'm sure someone out there is clamoring for.)

Probably the analysis to run would be to periodically sample the atmosphere inside slabs with a browning comic, a new comic and empty over time. If the acetic acid level rises in the slab with the browning comic book, that's a problem.

Jack

Brilliant Doctor Selegue!

I remember a similar problem with the "Fortress" holder of Pedrin fame ten years ago. They were all the rage, until it was learned that the lack of venting, even in the face of dessicants, etc, aided in the breakdown of the pages. Rarely are snow white books victims of this process unless stored poorly (a la Burrel Rowe). But I fear the same fate may await the CGC slab if ventilation is not introduced. Some may remember when Chris debuted the Fortress at San Diego by proving just how airtight they were, he immersed a Fortressed Whiz #2(1) in an aquarium. Little did he know that the airtight nature of the holder made the book "feed" on itself.

Open top mylars, good storage conditions, or a basement in Denver, are all you need to keep your lovelies looking lovely.

Some may remember when Chris debuted the Fortress at San Diego by proving just how airtight they were, he immersed a Fortressed Whiz #2(1) in an aquarium. Little did he know that the airtight nature of the holder made the book "feed" on itself.

Did that problem get fixed at some point? Or are fortresses still bad to use? I have a few nice books sitting in fortresses right now including a Cap 1 and my All Select 1 9.4. Should I switch them to mylars?

hello all...

rick

Paging Selegue!!!

Jack

893whatthe.gif

hello all...

holy cow, how many genius do we have here...I am feeling all 3rd grade again smile.gif

man, I love this stuff

rick

Some may remember when Chris debuted the Fortress at San Diego by proving just how airtight they were, he immersed a Fortressed Whiz #2(1) in an aquarium. Little did he know that the airtight nature of the holder made the book "feed" on itself.

Did that problem get fixed at some point? Or are fortresses still bad to use? I have a few nice books sitting in fortresses right now including a Cap 1 and my All Select 1 9.4. Should I switch them to mylars?

YES!!! Tonight!

hello all...

rick

Paging Selegue!!!

Jack

893whatthe.gif

hello all...

holy cow, how many genius do we have here...I am feeling all 3rd grade again smile.gif

man, I love this stuff

rick

Not sure about "genius", but Selegue, batman_fan, myself and scrooge (i believe) are all scientists.

See, not just Lawyers and Comic book shop owners/dealers on these boards!

wink.gifgrin.gif

Not sure about "genius", but Selegue, batman_fan, myself and scrooge (i believe) are all scientists.

wink.gifgrin.gif

hello all...

outstanding, a wonderful diverse and somewhat eclectic group of folks we have here...now, I got to get back to my ciphering smile.gif

rick

hello all...

man, I love this stuff

rick

You fraud. You're a friggin' engineer! :-)

Jack

(Why is the subject line stagedoorjohnny?)