• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Which one would you choose ????
2 2

5,844 posts in this topic

tec 1 easy...I got to examine that book first hand, preslabbing...and here is a perfect example where "ext" is not a true appraisal of the book...it is a magnificant copy, and could have just as easily been moderate designated... and, it looks so nice for the money!

Tec 1.That Adventure is sweet but the grade is all the value.

Dennis

'Tec 1 for me also as that is just such a key and iconic book. (thumbs u

In addition, I consider the Adventure #72 to be one of the most over-rated and overvalued DC GA books out there. Imagine a book like that guiding for $19K.

Now if it was a Adventure #73, that would be much more of a competition as I just love that classic Manhunter cover and also a very very HTF book. :cloud9:

I agree completely!

I've been wanting to say this for a long time. Amazing Man #5 does absolutely nothing for me, .

I happen to think it is a marvelous book. :(

I think that is one of the cool things about collecting. There really is something for everyone.

yeah...just think how quick this thread would have died if 100% of people always wanted the same book :insane:

Or if a few wanted all of them.

It took me a second but that's a :signfunny:

tec 1 easy...I got to examine that book first hand, preslabbing...and here is a perfect example where "ext" is not a true appraisal of the book...it is a magnificant copy, and could have just as easily been moderate designated... and, it looks so nice for the money!

Correct. The "Extensive" restoration was a quarter sized piece replacement.

(thumbs u

(thumbs u

So, the only restoration done on that book was a quarter size piece replacement....that all?

(thumbs u

So, the only restoration done on that book was a quarter size piece replacement....that all?

No, but the rest of the work was minor. Very nice book, beautiful pages. Extensive was just a bit heavy handed for the book in our view. But, since there are only three categories, I guess the options are so limited that it hurt the book's chances of getting a moderate.

(thumbs u

No, but the rest of the work was minor. Very nice book, beautiful pages. Extensive was just a bit heavy handed for the book in our view. But, since there are only three categories, I guess the options are so limited that it hurt the book's chances of getting a moderate.

I agree...that is why bill and I (and others) agree we need to fine tune the restoration designations...as collectors of restored books, it is just something that needs to be address...an evolution, if you will, in the way they are assessed...

when does moderate, become mod/ext, become ext...at what line do we draw and say 1 2 or 3?

It is a Detective #1 that is labeled Extensive Restoration.

But those who have seen it out of the holder feel that it has a very moderate or even slight amount of extensive restoration.

Therefore they think a more accurately descriptive label would be Extensive Moderate Restoration or at the least Slight Extensive Restoration.

I hope this helps clarify.

But those who have seen it out of the holder feel that it has a very moderate or even slight amount of extensive restoration.

Therefore they think a more accurately descriptive label would be Extensive Moderate Restoration or at the least Slight Extensive Restoration.

^^

What would be so difficult about having a numeric scale?

It relies on counting. Getting people to agree on counting is a very difficult thing.

I'm getting scared even metioning it. :eek:

Taking out general biases as to which is the better title, this is how I see the choice here:

1. Both are comics that feature characters that have not survived to the present day as major characters, just historically good comic characters.

2. Both have the same number of graded comics, 8 Universal and 5 Restored for Adventure & 5 Universal and 8 Restored for Tec.

3. Both are the 2nd highest grade in their respective categories and have 2 copies existing at the same grade (Restored 7.0 and Univ 9.2), according to the CGC census.

4. Tec is pre-WWII and Adventure is dated 3 months after Pearl Harbor.

5. Tec has pre-Superman work by Siegel & Shuster, Adventure has a Burnley cover and Simon & Kirby's first DC work.

6. Tec is listed as Scarce in OSPG.

So basically it seems a war of equals with different reasons for desirability. I was thinking I'd pick the Adventure but I like the fact that the Tec has early S&S work and that it's pre-WWII as well as the fact that the cover, restored or not, is instantly recognizable. Also, of course, this is a pre-Batman Tec.

I'd take the Tec.

It relies on counting. Getting people to agree on counting is a very difficult thing.

I'm getting scared even metioning it. :eek:

Give yourself more credit. You are quite adept at counting between 8.5 and 9.4 (thumbs u

Assuming this is a situation where I have the $$ to blow, I'm tempted to go with the Adventure. The Tec is cool for being an early DC, but it's not the first. And the cover is pretty duds-ville to me. You can argue that the Adventure is an overrated book, but aside from being a first issue, what does the Tec have going for it?

If you told some joe out on the street that you had the first issue of Detective Comics, he'd probably be unimpressed. That goes for the Adventure as well.

So all things considered, I think I'd go for the awesome Burnley cover in unrestored HG.

The Tec is cool for being an early DC, but it's not the first. And the cover is pretty duds-ville to me. You can argue that the Adventure is an overrated book, but aside from being a first issue, what does the Tec have going for it?

:o

Aside from being the first issue of the longest published comics title in history as well as the book that gave the company it's initials vs. the 172nd Simon & Kirby drawn book?

I'll agree that "joe on the street" doesn't know either one, but at a comics convention Adventure #72 doesn't really stop anyone, but a Tec #1 on the wall snaps necks and stops people in their tracks.

54996_125026_4.jpg

The Tec is cool for being an early DC, but it's not the first. And the cover is pretty duds-ville to me. You can argue that the Adventure is an overrated book, but aside from being a first issue, what does the Tec have going for it?

:o

Aside from being the first issue of the longest published comics title in history as well as the book that gave the company it's initials vs. the 172nd Simon & Kirby drawn book?

I'll agree that "joe on the street" doesn't know either one, but at a comics convention Adventure #72 doesn't really stop anyone, but a Tec #1 on the wall snaps necks and stops people in their tracks.

54996_125026_4.jpg

What year was that picture taken? Definitely a nice set of "wall" books!