• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Detective Comics 27 on Ebay

197 posts in this topic

it did not look like Showcase dropped his bids. It looks like the seller cancelled Showcases' bids

Showcase said he demanded that the seller cancel his bids.

That's the way I understood it.

what's the difference between cancelling your bids or having them cancelled for you?

same end result.

when the seller cancels your bid, it does not show in your Ebay profile. If you retract a bid, it stays on your profile for 6 months. Humbly, I have perfect feedback in all categories (including bid retractions), and do not want it tarnished.

Aw, too bad you guys didn't wait to tell Showcase-4 about the Resto after he purchased it. Just the embarassment mighta shut his *spoon* mouth up...

Ouch 893whatthe.gif

Let's give a little slack to the guy that can't spot restoration from 5 feet away.

If you wanted a non-restored beater copy in your collection...then that's what you want. sumo.gif

I'd have had it restored either way if I was buying it..(which I could never justify to my wife, even if I was making 500K/year or more.....so it would be a non issue. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

Showcase-4.....relax man....you're getting the help you need...no reason to take such great offence to other opinions. flowerred.gif

Two questions for you guys. How much resto would you have done on the 27 and how much would it cost?

Matt could get it up to a FN I would wager. Probably cost $500 to $1000, depending on how much I beat him up on the price..

There doesn't appear to be any flaking on the pages that I can see and the upper right corner appears to be just slightly blunted. Would you have the pages lightened and strengthened? Also, would it make sense to the have the cover corners razor sharp or would you have the restorer match the interior corners?

That depends on the restorer. Some make them razor sharp, others prefer to leave them alone, giving the book a more natural look.

So how do you think would do a better job of restoring the book? Matt or Susan? Also, do they have different ways in restoring books? I've never had any of my books restored and this question has been in my head for a while.

Susan is generally considered to be the best in the business. She is also reputed to be the most expensive. I have never had a book restored by her, but I've seen several of her books (including a Marvel Comics #1 CGC 9.0 Extensive (P)) and they were just amazing looking. I am talking color matching that blends extremely well even upon close examination.

Matt Nelson (Classic Conservations) did a book for me recently and also did a good job. The job he did on Ian Levine's Detective Comics #27 was breathtaking.

I have only seen one book in person that I know for a fact was a Matt Wilson (Fantasy Masterpieces) book and it was a mess (AF#15 CGC 3.0 Extensive (P)). The book was heavily overglossed and warped. His photo gallery on his website shows some truly amazing results on other books, however.

I have never seen a book that I know to have been done by Mark Wilson (Matt Wilson's brother, who used to be a restoration professional), but I have heard that he was right up there with Susan in terms of quality during his day.

I have never seen a book in hand that Tracey Heft (Eclipse Paper) has extensively restored, so I can't speak to his books. He has several examples on his site though, and some of them look good. Most of them have scans that are too small or too grainy to see fine detail, however.

Those are the big four who are currently restoring books.

Although the basic processes are the same, restoration professionals go about them in different ways. For inpainting/recreation of missing areas and color matching especially, there can be a dramatic difference in quality from one restoration professional to the next.

So how do you think would do a better job of restoring the book? Matt or Susan? Also, do they have different ways in restoring books? I've never had any of my books restored and this question has been in my head for a while.

Susan is generally considered to be the best in the business. She is also reputed to be the most expensive. I have never had a book restored by her, but I've seen several of her books (including a Marvel Comics #1 CGC 9.0 Extensive (P)) and they were just amazing looking. I am talking color matching that blends extremely well even upon close examination.

Matt Nelson (Classic Conservations) did a book for me recently and also did a good job. The job he did on Ian Levine's Detective Comics #27 was breathtaking.

I have only seen one book in person that I know for a fact was a Matt Wilson (Fantasy Masterpieces) book and it was a mess (AF#15 CGC 3.0 Extensive (P)). The book was heavily overglossed and warped. His photo gallery on his website shows some truly amazing results on other books, however.

I have never seen a book that I know to have been done by Mark Wilson (Matt Wilson's brother, who used to be a restoration professional), but I have heard that he was right up there with Susan in terms of quality during his day.

I have never seen a book in hand that Tracey Heft (Eclipse Paper) has extensively restored, so I can't speak to his books. He has several examples on his site though, and some of them look good. Most of them have scans that are too small or too grainy to see fine detail, however.

Those are the big four who are currently restoring books.

Although the basic processes are the same, restoration professionals go about them in different ways. For inpainting/recreation of missing areas and color matching especially, there can be a dramatic difference in quality from one restoration professional to the next.

Nice summation FFB (as usual). I am partial to Matt, for many reasons, mostly biased ones, but he is an outstanding restoration pro.

The Wilson's were always a bit heavy handed with the color touch for my tastes. There was a guy, his name escapes me, red hair, huge beard, friend of Fairless. He once restored a Suspense #3, I swear that thing was astonishing. But, I hear he is out of the game. Plus, he took like three years to complete a book.

Susan did my Action #1, most of the book came out extremely nice. I was a bit disappointed with how she handled the long tear on the front cover. But, it may have been as good as it could get.

I have an All-Star #3 that I am giving to Matt this weekend to restore. It has a very similar tear on the front cover, so I will be able to do a comparative analysis.

I have an All-Star #3 that I am giving to Matt this weekend to restore. It has a very similar tear on the front cover, so I will be able to do a comparative analysis.

Bill, if you can, try to take high resolution scans of the book before you send it in so that you can compare before and after. That is always interesting to see and the restoration professionals themselves tend to put up only smaller scans on their websites. thumbsup2.gif

Bill, if you can, try to take high resolution scans of the book before you send it in so that you can compare before and after. That is always interesting to see and the restoration professionals themselves tend to put up only smaller scans on their websites. thumbsup2.gif

Will do.

What DPI do you recommend?

One thing I wonder is how often the big four use leaf casting to infill missing areas. It seems like the best way to make an invisible repair of a missing area, but I don't know. (Plus, the leaf casting equipment is a lot more expensive and supplies harder to find than just using layered Japan paper to infill.) I seem to recall Tracey Heft saying that he didn't do leaf casting as a regular part of his "arsenal" when I spoke to him a couple of years ago, so maybe that's changed.

300 dpi, then resized. If you can't resize, email the pics to me and I'll do it for you.

Thanks for the tip fellas.. I almost had my Tec 29 restored by Susan because she did an awesome job with another 29 in her photo gallery, but I backed out because I knew I would be paying alot of $ and I wanted to save that for more books. Eventually, I will try to have a book restored by Susan and another from Matt so I can compare the difference (quality and price). But yea, that would be nice to let us know which person did a better job on restroation Ciorac. And maybe even post up a before and after scan of your book on here smile.gif

300 dpi, then resized. If you can't resize, email the pics to me and I'll do it for you.

Oh well, I scanned them at 200 DPI, the file size was massive at 300. I may find time to do them again on Friday before I leave. Either way I will do a before and after thread when the book comes back. It will probably be a few months before he gets finished with it. I'll keep cracking the whip to get him done as fast as possible.

One thing I wonder is how often the big four use leaf casting to infill missing areas. It seems like the best way to make an invisible repair of a missing area, but I don't know. (Plus, the leaf casting equipment is a lot more expensive and supplies harder to find than just using layered Japan paper to infill.) I seem to recall Tracey Heft saying that he didn't do leaf casting as a regular part of his "arsenal" when I spoke to him a couple of years ago, so maybe that's changed.

Matt uses a lot of cadaver books. He goes on buying sprees looking for old golden and silver age beaters with the colors he needs for key books.

[

Matt uses a lot of cadaver books. He goes on buying sprees looking for old golden and silver age beaters with the colors he needs for key books.

I did not know that. It sorta makes sense, but I never even thought of it. You learn something new every day. I guess that's why the phrase "Frankenbook" came into vogue.