• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The GA "Short Bus" Thread Post your unpopular books!
2 2

993 posts in this topic

... to the artists name "Bill Bunce" that can't be real...
I did a search and found his name attached to these periodicals as well according to the library of Michigan State.

"Bunce, Bill.

The Iron Horse Goes to War : a picture story about

railroads in the war between the states : how they first

became the great basic military asset that they are today /

Bill Bunce, art ; lettering by Lou Falcone. -- 1963? -- 15 p.

---------------------------------------------------

Railroads Deliver the Goods! -- Washington, D.C. :

Association of American Railroads, 1960? -- 16 p. : col.

-----------------------------------------------------

Rails Across America. -- Washington, D.C. : School and

College Service, Association of American Railroads, 195? --

------------------------------------------------------

Ride the High Iron! : A Picture Story about America's

Modern Passenger Trains. -- Washington, D.C. : School and

College Service, Association of American Railroads, 1955.

------------------------------------------------------

The Wheel of Progress : How America's Railroads Help to

Keep the Wheels of Industry Turning. -- Washington, D.C. :

School and College Service, Association of American

Railroads, 1957? --

--------------------- Maybe I should try to get a complete set. tongue.gif

Add "Clear the Track" and "Special Agent" to that list. If you really do want (most of) the set, PM me.

The Kit Karter is a classic for this thread. This is one where I've always wondered what was going through their minds. 'let's see, Funny Stuff, Looney Tunes, etc. have all been used. Let's call our new book, Muggy-Doo Boy Cat. That's a sure fire seller."

md3.jpg

The Kit Karter is a classic for this thread. This is one where I've always wondered what was going through their minds. 'let's see, Funny Stuff, Looney Tunes, etc. have all been used. Let's call our new book, Muggy-Doo Boy Cat. That's a sure fire seller."

md3.jpg

Could the tooth not be falling out because HE'S PUTTING IT IN UPSIDE DOWN!

Not a lot of affection for my little man here.

GoldenLad1.jpg

I love him nonetheless. thumbsup2.gif

Lets wait for the movie to make that determination.

Are you serious?

I like some of the Golden Lad covers and have one myself. I'll always take time out for Meskin's work.

I actually like these Raggedy Ann & Andy comics, they are well done & Bizarre

Speaking of well done and bizarre, have you (shiverbones) tried Mary Jane and Sniffles? I'm sure that they're up your alley.

In addition to the nudge-wink hilarity of the title, especially considering that MJ "gets small" with "magic sand/dust" in early stories, the strip is often surrealistically wonderful. They appeared regularly in the back pages of Looney Tunes & Merrie Melodies for years, then sporadically in Bugs Bunny . Here's a good picture of Sniffles (mouse in blue hat), but I also really like this cover because of the anthropomorphic carrots (like the famed Peter Panda cover, but these look less like Mister Hankey). Notice the "old-school" Bugs on the left border next to the later version on the main cover.

1514107-7069_4_043.jpg

I've picked up 50s Looney Tunes for pennies, and since MJ&S are safely tucked inside, coverless or ratty copies will do. Here are their two Four Color appearances (from GCD), but they deserve seats on the long bus.

1514107-279_4_00402.jpg

1514107-279_4_00474.jpg

Jack

Mary Jane and Sniffles on the short bus. frown.gifpoke2.gifI've always liked them, it was one of the better backup features in Looney Tunes, though I preferred the early Armstrong issues over the latter Hubbard ones. The two four color issues are some of the few Dell comics which actually bring decent prices on e-bay even without Barks or Kelly.

I think I read that Mary Jane was named after Craig Chases wife, but since the first looney Tunes came out shortly after the time when movies like Reefer Madness hit, there may be a connection.

Thanks for the tip! I have a couple LT comics, but haven't read them yet. I'll go do so! 893applaud-thumb.gif

Enjoy! I generally like the MJ&S story better than anything else in the book. Even the lettering on the early stories (Montezuma mentions Armstrong, but I don't know whether he did the lettering) is elegant.

Your holiday avatar cracks me up. Cropped, it looks like Supes is delivering a giant pickle.

Jack

Put down that pickle, Rococo!

I read the two sniffles stories I have. I read one before actually but forgot. It was very enjoyable, it was a halloween story with Jackie Jack-O-Lantern. The other was WAY better though, it dealt with oysters and a magic fish that made pearls appear. Wild stuff, you were right! thumbsup2.gif

Here is a book which may be too cool for the SB, but I figured a lot of the people who would like it post here. I have the full story of my quest for this book in the Recent pre code thread.

1518772-madhouse4.jpg

I read the two sniffles stories I have. I read one before actually but forgot. It was very enjoyable, it was a halloween story with Jackie Jack-O-Lantern. The other was WAY better though, it dealt with oysters and a magic fish that made pearls appear. Wild stuff, you were right! thumbsup2.gif

From the Month thread. Bears a repeat here with all the MJ&S discussions -

1201172-LTMM125Story4s.jpg

That is a lovely page. Even the lettering, as I mentioned above.

We'll have to work this "biting gold to see whether it's real" routine in the Periodic Table of Comic Books, if you don't mind me swiping the scan.

I see that Old Man Muskrat migrated to your avatar.

Jack

Stilt-Man prototype to boot!!

From the Month thread. Bears a repeat here with all the MJ&S discussions -

1201172-LTMM125Story4s.jpg