• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Copper Age X-Men thread

2,282 posts in this topic

Hey guys, been very much enjoying your thread here! thumbsup2.gif

But I have to say, it's just mind-boggling to me to see all these 1980s X-Men books in 9.6 and 9.8 slabs and going for (relative to cover price at least) big bucks. (Now I have some inkling of how the guys who bought SA and BA books off the rack feel!)

I was buying these CA X-Men each month when they were new, and though the stories were still excellent, from a collectibility standpoint it definitely felt like the new books were living in the shadow of the #94-#137 run. The ones I bought were all high-grade as possible, but I never could have imagined trying to make distinctions between 9.4, 9.6 and so forth (and I was a pretty picky collector to begin with!). Wild... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

But I have to say, it's just mind-boggling to me to see all these 1980s X-Men books in 9.6 and 9.8 slabs and going for (relative to cover price at least) big bucks. (Now I have some inkling of how the guys who bought SA and BA books off the rack feel!)

I was buying these CA X-Men each month when they were new, and though the stories were still excellent, from a collectibility standpoint it definitely felt like the new books were living in the shadow of the #94-#137 run. The ones I bought were all high-grade as possible, but I never could have imagined trying to make distinctions between 9.4, 9.6 and so forth (and I was a pretty picky collector to begin with!). Wild... 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

That's a good point. most of the ones I picked off the rack looked "high grade" but came back 8.5-9.2. foreheadslap.gif

That's a good point. most of the ones I picked off the rack looked "high grade" but came back 8.5-9.2. foreheadslap.gif

27_laughing.gif

893applaud-thumb.gifyay.gif

27_laughing.gif

893naughty-thumb.gif

Well, it may not be a popular opinion in this "neighborhood"...but in my book, 8.5-9.2 still qualifies as high grade... sumo.gifgrin.gif

27_laughing.gif

893naughty-thumb.gif

sorry.gif Remember that 7.0 - 7.5 you told me about 27_laughing.gif

And by the way, I hope you guys have reader copies of these books too! 893naughty-thumb.gifsmile.gif

I have no idea what they're doing with Magneto today...I'm guessing he's a "villain" again...but I thought one of the coolest plot twists in the Copper Age X-books was the slow/subtle change in his thinking over the course of X-Men #151-200, leading to his taking over Xavier's school in #200.

The Magneto development was one of many interesting plot threads which IMO kind of got lost in the shuffle of the post-Mutant-Massacre issues, #214-227 or so, which was right around when I stopped reading the title. I suspect I missed out on some good stories myself in the #228-300 run.

Yes jon, I have plenty of raw copies of X-men but im selling them since im moving (only 14 blocks away) but I need to get rid of some books since CGCs take up plenty of space. I want to buy the Marvel Masterworks of the entire X-Men run though. (I have the essentials but B&W drives me nuts) .#200 was an interesting issue. I remember inferno was pretty good so you should check that out.

27_laughing.gif

893naughty-thumb.gif

sorry.gif Remember that 7.0 - 7.5 you told me about 27_laughing.gif

Oy, don't remind me. frown.gif Needless to say, I have since replaced it grin.gif

Well, it may not be a popular opinion in this "neighborhood"...but in my book, 8.5-9.2 still qualifies as high grade... sumo.gifgrin.gif

I'm only foreheadslap.gif because I never should have had them slabbed in the first place. Maybe prescreened. Now they're not worth the fees i paid to have them slabbed.

The thing for me was that i wasn't worried about the collecting more so for the stories that were involved. so alas most of my early run (from 201 through to about 230) would come in at the fine range now due to be very well read.

I think the mainpoint is (for me was) Claremonts writing made you associate with the characters on a personal level (the death of a major character ala the death of Phoenix or something more obscure like when Colossus broke up with kitty pryde after the secret wars).

Yes jon, I have plenty of raw copies of X-men but im selling them since im moving (only 14 blocks away) but I need to get rid of some books since CGCs take up plenty of space. I want to buy the Marvel Masterworks of the entire X-Men run though. (I have the essentials but B&W drives me nuts) .#200 was an interesting issue. I remember inferno was pretty good so you should check that out.

Inferno was very good, plus i am biased towards the aftermath of the fall of the mutants storyline (only because they were based down under for that period of time). The thing i always found good was that they had those good story arcs, but then they also had good one shot issues that were great as well.

And i am hoping that come the new year i will finish off my holiest of holy grails..a complete run of x-men from present day back to the dawn of the x-men 893crossfingers-thumb.gif

Now they're not worth the fees i paid to have them slabbed.

But even in 9.6, they probably wouldn't be either.

Seriously, I cannot believe how cheap these CGC CA X-Men books are - I may try and pick up the Smith run in CGC 9.6 with the change in my pockets. foreheadslap.gif

Now they're not worth the fees i paid to have them slabbed.

But even in 9.6, they probably wouldn't be either.

Seriously, I cannot believe how cheap these CGC CA X-Men books are - I may try and pick up the Smith run in CGC 9.6 with the change in my pockets. foreheadslap.gif

I'd say go for it JC because Smith's work is very underrated IMHO