• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Copper Age X-Men thread

2,282 posts in this topic

I'd say go for it JC because Smith's work is very underrated IMHO

I plan to, and I didn't mean to disparage the books - in fact the opposite is true. I simply cannot believe how inexpensive these are.

Now if only I can find someone selling multiples. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

I've got a bunch of beautiful ones, if you want to buy them raw. The reward for getting them slabbed isn't worth it - if you miss and get a 9.6, you're essentially losing money. If you're interested, let me know.

I plan to, and I didn't mean to disparage the books - in fact the opposite is true. I simply cannot believe how inexpensive these are.

*paging MK, paging mr MK*

Surprisingly considering the heat you've taken recently over your "negativity", i can say for one i read it as genuine surprise.

I've got a bunch of beautiful ones, if you want to buy them raw.

Believe me, I've got boxes of these books raw, and any CGC effort would be similar to my Byrne run, just to have them slabbed.

to slab or not to slab...just wish it was cheaper for me

Now they're not worth the fees i paid to have them slabbed.

But even in 9.6, they probably wouldn't be either.

Seriously, I cannot believe how cheap these CGC CA X-Men books are - I may try and pick up the Smith run in CGC 9.6 with the change in my pockets. foreheadslap.gif

It doesn't get better than this... cloud9.gif

smith_165.jpg

Seriously, I cannot believe how cheap these CGC CA X-Men books are - I may try and pick up the Smith run in CGC 9.6 with the change in my pockets. foreheadslap.gif

smith_165.jpg

Sweet hail.gif

*paging MK, paging mr MK*

popcorn.gif An possible 9.8s were sent to CGC this past convention, all 9.8 rejects sold

smith_165.jpg

893applaud-thumb.gif

For all you x-men-iles...

What is your favorite story arc?

for me, i am split between two..the dark phoenix saga and days of future past...followed closely by the brood arc.

Those are all great arc's. thumbsup2.gif For me, a personal favorite is 190-191 Kulan Gath arc with Spidey and Avengers guest stars. cloud9.gif

smith_165.jpg

I am now offically jealous!! thumbsup2.gif

For all you x-men-iles...

What is your favorite story arc?

for me, i am split between two..the dark phoenix saga and days of future past...followed closely by the brood arc.

There's a lot to choose from, but I have to say the Dark Phoenix saga, if I can start it at #129. All of the other mentions are worthy, too. Glad someone brought up the Kulan Gath story from #190-191 as I've always considered that one a forgotten gem, especially amidst the decline in the title's quality around that time (IMO).

#219 was the issue that I finally threw down in disgust and quit the title. I was reading each new monthly issue at the same time I was filling in my Cockrum/Byrne run slowly but surely. (The back issue prices on those books were extraordinary, especially for a teenager buying them with essentially lawn-mowing money.) So the contrast in storytelling quality was particularly stark to me.

Another more modern run I enjoyed was the 207-213 run with the Hellfire CLub, Nimrod, Mutant Massacre and the initial Wolverine-Sabretooth battles (back when it was new). Some of it was pretty dark, and there was a serious body-count by the end.

That Alan Davis cover to X-Men 213 remains one of my favorites to this day.