• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your FOUR COLOR Comic Covers Here
15 15

What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread

• choice1
    • choice2

3,792 posts in this topic

6 hours ago, woowoo said:

No I bought it and the note was in the box. I think people would have bid more if she would have put the note in the auction.

Definitely.  I wonder who the note was written to? Obviously it must have been someone who knew who Carl Barks was. hm

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

Definitely.  I wonder who the note was written to? Obviously it must have been someone who knew who Carl Barks was. hm

:roflmao:                                       :makepoint:

8 hours ago, damonwad said:

That's a great note to go along with the book. Lucky for you it wasn't in the auction listing.

(I also just checked Wik and it looks like Clara was Carl's 2nd wife though.)

Very cool to have a Four Color #9 that came from Carl Barks (via a North Dakota piano bench).

Back in them days I'm sure that's what Carl told Clara your the 1st(shrug). I would think that maybe this lady who sold me the book that's what she thought.

26 minutes ago, woowoo said:

Back in them days I'm sure that's what Carl told Clara your the 1st(shrug). I would think that maybe this lady who sold me the book that's what she thought.

It's very understandable that the lady that sold you the book didn't know her aunt was Carl's second wife. Not exactly a topic that would have been brought up at the Thanksgiving dinner table.

36 minutes ago, damonwad said:

It's very understandable that the lady that sold you the book didn't know her aunt was Carl's second wife. Not exactly a topic that would have been brought up at the Thanksgiving dinner table.

:gossip:       :whatthe:

On 7/16/2017 at 6:00 PM, Yellow Kid said:

Little Orphan Annie went from Four Color to Regular Series and returned to Four Color.

Scamp is another title that started in FC; went to regular, and the returned to FC for the last issue.

I think the FC 629 is actually the first appearance of Scamp, the code on page 1 suggests this was out slightly before the Lady & the Tramp Giant.

On another subject, that FC 629 is a bit odd compared to the LT giant... both books have an adaptation of the movie drawn by Al Hubbard, but the giant is a 62 page version compared to the FC's 34 pages.  The weird thing is, the art is completely redrawn in both versions, even if the content is essentially identical.  I'm wondering why Dell had the same artist draw two completely separate versions of the same story that came out within a month or so of each other, rather than just editing one down.

FC_0629.jpg

FC_0703.jpg

13 hours ago, damonwad said:
13 hours ago, woowoo said:

I think it was the person who sold the book to the person who sold woosquared the book who had the aunt who had been married to Barks.  Unless there was another intermediate sale in there somewhere. hm

8 hours ago, OtherEric said:

Scamp is another title that started in FC; went to regular, and the returned to FC for the last issue.

I think the FC 629 is actually the first appearance of Scamp, the code on page 1 suggests this was out slightly before the Lady & the Tramp Giant.

On another subject, that FC 629 is a bit odd compared to the LT giant... both books have an adaptation of the movie drawn by Al Hubbard, but the giant is a 62 page version compared to the FC's 34 pages.  The weird thing is, the art is completely redrawn in both versions, even if the content is essentially identical.  I'm wondering why Dell had the same artist draw two completely separate versions of the same story that came out within a month or so of each other, rather than just editing one down.

FC_0629.jpg

FC_0703.jpg

Interesting.  Maybe the editor had problems coming up with a coherent continuity when he tried to edit the longer version down.  Also possible, I suppose, that a friendly editor was just generating more work (and another payday) for Hubbard.

1 hour ago, Sqeggs said:

I think it was the person who sold the book to the person who sold woosquared the book who had the aunt who had been married to Barks.  Unless there was another intermediate sale in there somewhere. hm

I don't know if the letter really helps the value of the book. I love the history that Carl himself sent the book to his wife's sister and her daughter sold it to me of the piano bench.  what history.:headbang:

1 hour ago, woowoo said:

I don't know if the letter really helps the value of the book. I love the history that Carl himself sent the book to his wife's sister and her daughter sold it to me of the piano bench.  what history.:headbang:

Did you make an offer on the piano bench? hm

10 hours ago, jmg3637 said:

quite an impressive  er  bench,  yeah  that is it.

a couple of more  hand me downs  from 4GEM

fc 054 bc.jpg

fc 054 Andy Panda.jpg

fc 046 Felix.jpg

fc 046 bc.jpg

FC 46 is one of my favorite covers.

fou1.6727a_zpskqkdhmpg.jpg

Need help.  Have opportunity to buy some WDC&S and DD/US FCs.  Some of them are really nice.  NM covers.  BUT, some of those have an issue I've not dealt with before.  I need to know how these issues impact price.

First issue:  A subscription label on the back cover.  What % hit to value? 

Second issue:  A faint non-color breaking subscription mailer crease on back cover.  Impact?  Will it press out?  Probably always coupled with issue 1. 

Third issue:  A distributor date stamp on cover.  Not coupled with first or second issue.  What % hit to value?

Additional question:  These appear to be similar in cover quality to file copies.  What PQ do the file copies have?  If the PQ for these are OW to W is that comparable or better than the file copies?

Final question:  What is the market for Carl Barks FCs in VF to NM?  E.g., is guide high or low?  Do they sit or are their buyers?

Edited by sfcityduck

2 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

Need help.  Have opportunity to buy WDC&S and FCs.  Some of them are really nice.  NM covers.  BUT, some of those have an issue I've not dealt with before.  I need to know how these issues impact price.

First issue:  A subscription label on the back cover.  What % hit? 

Second issue:  A faint non-color breaking subscription mailer crease on back cover.  Impact?  Will it press out?  Probably always coupled with issue 1. 

Third issue:  A distributor date stamp on cover.  Not coupled with first or second issue.  What % hit?

Additional question:  These appear to be similar in cover quality to file copies.  What PQ do the file copies have?  If the PQ for these are OW to W is that comparable or better than the file copies?

Final question:  What is the market for Carl Barks FCs in VF to NM?  

My opinion only

1 sub label.  I think I t would drop the grade 2-3  points. I don't think a book with a sticker should be able to grade higher than an 8.0?  And only because it's a sub label and not some non related sticker.  I've never researched slabs to check.

2 sub crease.  Slight as it may be and on the back limits the grade significantly.  But realistically it could probably be a 6.0-6.5 if slight.  Old school sub crease would say 5.0 or so max 

3 dist date stamp if not a black muddy smear shouldn't have much effect if any.

just my 2 c. Others will disagree and cgc might too?

1 hour ago, Comicdey said:

My opinion only

1 sub label.  I think I t would drop the grade 2-3  points. I don't think a book with a sticker should be able to grade higher than an 8.0?  And only because it's a sub label and not some non related sticker.  I've never researched slabs to check.

2 sub crease.  Slight as it may be and on the back limits the grade significantly.  But realistically it could probably be a 6.0-6.5 if slight.  Old school sub crease would say 5.0 or so max 

3 dist date stamp if not a black muddy smear shouldn't have much effect if any.

just my 2 c. Others will disagree and cgc might too?

I think that's my take, too.  Sub creases usually can't be completely pressed out, although I suppose it's possible if they don't break color.

Barks FC in VF/NM had been in a long-term decline, but seem to have come back recently.  Caveat, though:  There have been two or three high-grade collections that have appeared in recent Heritage auctions.  I don't know whether the buyers of those books will participate in auctions of other high-grade copies or whether their needs have been filled.

Second caveat:  These are casual observations because I follow that market but not closely enough to give you truly well-informed advice.  Paging @tth2