• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your FOUR COLOR Comic Covers Here
15 15

What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread

• choice1
    • choice2

3,792 posts in this topic

Just now, sfcityduck said:

How much does CGC charge for a press of that type?

$40 in the economy track (book has to be worth less than $400).  Standard track is $60 ($1,000 max value).

Economy track has a 40 business day turnaround; standard has a 15 business day turnaround.

1 minute ago, Sqeggs said:

$40 in the economy track (book has to be worth less than $400).  Standard track is $60 ($1,000 max value).

Economy track has a 40 business day turnaround; standard has a 15 business day turnaround.

So I'd submit this as a standard track book, right?  Or would CGC put it on a different track?

Just now, sfcityduck said:

So I'd submit this as a standard track book, right?  Or would CGC put it on a different track?

You could try economy.  If they disagree with your value estimate, they usually call you and tell you they're bumping up the charge.  I've never known them to do it the other way:  "This book is worth less than you said it was worth, so we're reducing the charge." :)

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 4:27 PM, Sqeggs said:

You could try economy.  If they disagree with your value estimate, they usually call you and tell you they're bumping up the charge.  I've never known them to do it the other way:  "This book is worth less than you said it was worth, so we're reducing the charge." :)

I found that out the hard way on my one and only submission to CGC.  This was several years ago and I dropped off a fairly high grade X-men #1.  It turned out restored  and worth WAY less than the tier I paid for.  Also was worth WAY less than what I paid for it at the LCS.  Biggest book I had purchased/traded for up to that time.

I think these are the last of the 4GEM castoffs

fc 384 ZG King of the Royal Mounties.jpg

fc 384 bc.jpg

fc 363 ZG King of the Royal Mounties.jpg

fc 363 bc.jpg

fc 210 Tippie and Cap Stubbs.jpg

fc 210 bc.jpg

fc 184 Tillie the Toiler.jpg

fc 184 bc.jpg

fc 174 bc.jpg

fc 174 Winnie Winkle.jpg

32 minutes ago, jmg3637 said:

I found that out the hard way on my one and only submission to CGC.  This was several years ago and I dropped off a fairly high grade X-men #1.  It turned out restored  and worth WAY less than the tier I paid for.  Also was worth WAY less than what I paid for it at the LCS.  Biggest book I had purchased/traded for up to that time.

I think these are the last of the 4GEM castoffs

fc 174 Winnie Winkle.jpg

Some more nice ones and I especially like the Winnie Winkle. The eggs on the guys head made me laugh.

Stinks about the X-Men #1 though.

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 1:34 PM, sfcityduck said:

Need help.  Have opportunity to buy some WDC&S and DD/US FCs.  Some of them are really nice.  NM covers.  BUT, some of those have an issue I've not dealt with before.  I need to know how these issues impact price.

First issue:  A subscription label on the back cover.  What % hit to value? 

Second issue:  A faint non-color breaking subscription mailer crease on back cover.  Impact?  Will it press out?  Probably always coupled with issue 1. 

Third issue:  A distributor date stamp on cover.  Not coupled with first or second issue.  What % hit to value?

Additional question:  These appear to be similar in cover quality to file copies.  What PQ do the file copies have?  If the PQ for these are OW to W is that comparable or better than the file copies?

Final question:  What is the market for Carl Barks FCs in VF to NM?  E.g., is guide high or low?  Do they sit or are their buyers?

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but those issues are a lot more significant than you might think. I would actually suggest closer to 5.0 to 6.0. Those subscription creases are never going to press out and those alone bring the book to 6.0. Add in those labels and you are really in trouble. Ask yourself: Would you want a book with an address label on the back?

On ‎8‎/‎4‎/‎2017 at 4:26 PM, sfcityduck said:

Next question.  Want to venture a grade for this?:

image.jpeg.2f4370623a9f98701741280ce1efa833.jpeg

image.jpeg.f700523334e364f06f5861b5a90a4e08.jpeg

I've long wanted a decent issue of this, but I don't trust my grading skills.  Your thoughts?

A far higher resolution scan would be needed but it could range from 8.0-9.2. The distributor date stamp has no impact on the grade.

43 minutes ago, 4GEMWORKS said:

I hate to be the bearer of bad news but those issues are a lot more significant than you might think. I would actually suggest closer to 5.0 to 6.0. Those subscription creases are never going to press out and those alone bring the book to 6.0. Add in those labels and you are really in trouble. Ask yourself: Would you want a book with an address label on the back?

I might.  What do you think about this comic.  I think it looks pretty good.  image.png.199ad9059aa3233d16a739c6edd11fde.png

image.png.4e6318d756133e35940ed8feca81bcfd.png

Edited by sfcityduck

36 minutes ago, 4GEMWORKS said:

A far higher resolution scan would be needed but it could range from 8.0-9.2. The distributor date stamp has no impact on the grade.

I bought it for a decent price and am going to submit to CGC.  I'm hoping 9.0 or above, but I recognize the risk.

14 minutes ago, sfcityduck said:

I might.  What do you think about this comic.  I think it looks pretty good.  image.png.199ad9059aa3233d16a739c6edd11fde.png

image.png.4e6318d756133e35940ed8feca81bcfd.png

I can see the crease in the scan. There is just too much risk for a guy like me to think it would pan out well. The world of graded books is littered with books that would be 9.2 if only for a little of this or a little of that. CGC is unforgiving.

3 minutes ago, 4GEMWORKS said:

I can see the crease in the scan. There is just too much risk for a guy like me to think it would pan out well. The world of graded books is littered with books that would be 9.2 if only for a little of this or a little of that. CGC is unforgiving.

I get your point, and I have not bought this book, but I would not be buying it with hopes of flipping a really high grade.  My point is more basic:  It is a beautiful comic, much better preserved and with much richer colors than the norm.  the label does not bother me and I don't see a front cover crease breaking color or otherwise detracting from the art (in contrast to most subscription variants).

I am thinking about this copy.  The "O" seems like a potential concern.  As does the scuffing (maybe even an erasure? or could be the light) on the right.  Otherwise, it looks pretty good.  Your thoughts on grade:

FC%20178%201.jpg

Edited by sfcityduck