• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your FOUR COLOR Comic Covers Here
15 15

What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread

• choice1
    • choice2

3,792 posts in this topic

9 hours ago, Icculus308win said:

History of Smokey Bear from the Smokey Bear Website

Or 

History of Smokey Bear

“Smokey Bear became very popular. In 1952, Steve Nelson and Jack Rollins wrote the anthem that would cause a debate among Smokey enthusiasts for the next several decades. In order to maintain the correct rhythm, the writers added a "the" between "Smokey" and "Bear." As testament to the song's popularity, Smokey Bear became known as "Smokey The Bear" to many adoring fans, but in actuality his name never changed, and he is still known correctly as Smokey Bear.”

I still like the song version better...:sumo:

On 1/8/2018 at 5:56 PM, Tri-ColorBrian said:

They do...and that is lame.  He is Smokey "the" Bear.  His name is Smokey and he is a bear.  Smokey Bear is not his name.  Bear is not a last name, it is what he is...this has ticked me off since the 80s when they changed it.  Just one of my many pet peeves...about things done by less than intelligent people...:preach:

What exactly did they change in the 80s?

And what was done by less intelligent people?

2 hours ago, Scrooge said:

What did you think you'd get when you submitted it?

Actually, I thought the 6.5 grade was pretty accurate, so the 8.0 was rather a surprise.  Nice bright copy but does have bit more wear and soiling than I would expect from an 8.0 book. 

40 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Actually, I thought the 6.5 grade was pretty accurate, so the 8.0 was rather a surprise.  Nice bright copy but does have bit more wear and soiling than I would expect from an 8.0 book. 

Yes, it's hard just from a scan but the bottom left corner appears soft and that would be line with a 6.5. Still a great book and I always like those FCs that announce for the first time original content to the comic, same as with Felix, Popeye, etc ...

3 minutes ago, Scrooge said:

Yes, it's hard just from a scan but the bottom left corner appears soft and that would be line with a 6.5. Still a great book and I always like those FCs that announce for the first time original content to the comic, same as with Felix, Popeye, etc ...

I've always thought it odd that CGC made the decision to include on the label the content of the book when almost always, as here, it's plastered across the front cover! 

I have not posted much in the last few years,  but I am finally at a place in my reorganization  that I can process  and add the relatively recent additions  to my Four Color Trading quest.

inspired by this thread  amd the board I began over 10 years ago and have grown from under 100 issues  to 1074  by the end of 2017.  I expect 2018 will pick up and end with over 1200

Hoping to work some deals at Terry's  con this weekend

Here is the last one I recieved  in a deal with blissard from 2016

FC 049 Snow White  Dwarfs.jpg

FC 049 bc.jpg

Getting ready to go to Terry's SoCal ComiCon for the first time.

Still focusing on completing the four colors by trades   and am currently at 1075 issues  with another large deal in process.  

Hoping to trade the accumulated under copies from over the years

Here are few few of the ones I added  during 2017

FC 881 Captain and the Kids.jpg

FC 881 bc.jpg

FC 864 Littlest Snowman.jpg

FC 864 bc.jpg

FC 856 Buffalo Bill Jr.jpg

FC 856 bc.jpg

While the number of holes is decreasing  it is hard to say that I am closing in on completing the run  with well over 200 remaining.

With that said  I did pick up 25 issues  at Terry's  comiccon,  almost all of them from Terry.  will have to scan  and organize those when I have time.

Here are a few others  which I scanned from trades last year.

These and the previous ones  were from mycomicshop.  While their grading  is usually  extremely tight  I was disappointed with the 911.

BTW  does anyone else think that the actor on the cover of the Gray Ghost is SHATNER?  I researched IMDB  and could not find a reference of him in that show.

FC 942 Pony Express.jpg

FC 911 bc.jpg

fc 911 Gray Ghost.jpg

FC 883 bc.jpg

FC 883 Little Rascals.jpg

FC 942 bc.jpg

31 minutes ago, jmg3637 said:

BTW  does anyone else think that the actor on the cover of the Gray Ghost is SHATNER?  I researched IMDB  and could not find a reference of him in that show.

It's Tod Andrews, I have a vague recollection of the TV series.

36 minutes ago, Montezuma said:
1 hour ago, jmg3637 said:

It's Tod Andrews, I have a vague recollection of the TV series.

Some episodes are available on YouTube -

Edited by Scrooge

1 hour ago, jmg3637 said:

I know that the actor in the roll  was Tod Andrews,  But to my eyes  that  picture  Looks just like Shatner

We know what you meant. I thought the main image on the YouTube embed looks fairly much like the man on the cover to the Four Color.

Ordinarily, lacking 200 books wouldn't be close to completing a run, but with Four Colors ....

I have to say that, to me, the Gary Ghost picture doesn't really resemble Shatner that closely.  It would be strange for them to use a shot of a different actor when, I would guess, the right to use a publicity still of the actual star probably came along with the rights to the do the comic. 

broke 1100  books with a couple of more good sized transactions underway that should put me close to 1150.  really close to completing the 1000-1099  section.

Here are a few more from a transaction  with Mycomicshop

FC 966 bc.jpg

FC 966 Tonka.jpg

FC 956 bc.jpg

FC 956 Ricky Nelson.jpg

FC 988  bc.jpg

FC 988 Little Hiawatha.jpg