• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post Your FOUR COLOR Comic Covers Here
15 15

What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread  

24 members have voted

1. 1. What are the odds that every cover to Four Color Series I and II can get posted in this thread

• choice1
    • choice2

3,792 posts in this topic

Finally was able to physically  sort in the additions during the last three years.

I added 65 books, 18 graded and 47 raw, but mostly higher ( for me) grade. 

Many of the Graded books were intended to be significant upgrades,  but one ended up being a slight downgrade ( from MCS 6.0  to CGC 5.5)  which do I keep?

fc 704 bc.jpg

fc 704 Priscillas Pop.jpg

fc 733 Buck Jones.jpg

fc 783 bc.jpg

fc 783 Elmer Fudd.jpg

fc 796 bc file.jpg

fc 796 Madeline.jpg

fc 827 bc.jpg

fc 827 Smokey Stover.jpg

fc 834 bc.jpg

fc 834 JMB.jpg

The mail arrived with one more issue that I'd been waiting on.  

Four Color #134.

There are obvious issues with the top of the front cover, but the rest of the issue is pretty solid and it was well below guide.  Maybe I'll find a better copy someday, but this will do for now.

fc 134.JPG

On 8/4/2022 at 7:26 PM, jmg3637 said:

Place holders  and waiting for potential upgrades  

Or holding out for an accpetable  copy in the first place

I generally don't buy placeholders these days, at least not intentionally.  Sometimes I'll buy an issue that has a defect that I was unaware of such as a detached staple and I will keep it and add the book to my replace list.  The Tarzan is borderline for me with the cover damage, but is one that I don't mind keeping it in my collection.  However, I certainly won't turn down the opportunity to upgrade it for a better copy.

I've had many comics that I passed on because the centerfold was detached or the cover was detached at a staple or there was excess water damage, etc.  I was less choosy when I was in my teens and early 20s and would buy placeholders, but those have almost all been replaced by now.  Now if I found a number of hard to find issues that were complete, but with a number of problems in a 50 cent box somewhere, I likely would not pass them up.

In the beginning I would take almost anything  just in trade.  

And my beginning  70+  were all in low grde  so I have many easy upgrades.

These are the passing on copies  of the books posted above.  The Left hand Gun  has really bad damage  at the lower right

Image (48).jpg

Image (49).jpg

I'm really just starting on my "G series' collection - 153 of 698 so far - but I'm trying to avoid filling the box with 'placeholders'. I might have to for the very early single digit ones which are hard to find in any grade, but for now I'm trying to stick to nice ones, like this G28 (Four Color #560)

large_G028.jpg.a693f9f094f86bb8a945311cf438cd78.jpg

On 8/6/2022 at 5:32 AM, jmg3637 said:

enjoying seeing the Australian  version.

Were all of the 698 issues  a part of the FC series?

which ones did they omit?  the early ones?  the later Western/TV  issues?

The G series isn't an Australian version of the FC series, though it contains many overlaps (maybe 200? I haven't done a detailed comparison). G1 appeared in 1950, so well into the FC run, and it was a WDC title at first before branching out into FC reprints in 1952. It has only Disney material, as that's the license that WG Publications had, so many of the non-Disney Four Colors appeared in series by other Australian publishers. Also, some of the Four Color Disneys appeared in other WG series, like the White Wilderness from the FP (film preview) series I posted here a while ago. Another difference is that Uncle Scrooge only lasted for three Four Colors (386, 456 and 495) before breaking out, but stayed in the G series - so 132 of the 698 issues are Uncle Scrooge. You can see the G series in thumbnail form here.

But here are some more that overlap between the two runs.

G11 (Four Color #408)

large_G11.jpg.4e36a0b3948285c20d4e54bcccdc3e05.jpg

G108 (Four Colour #826)

large.1548898413_G10540.jpg.267663852ae11df015d62e3218a253d1.jpg

G177 (Four Color #1055)

large.982996329_G17760.jpg.e7772a10f750cf32f784f1cef5ced660.jpg

On 8/4/2022 at 5:02 PM, Galen130 said:

Here’s another one that I found in the wild…pretty difficult to find, I think.

3D6DC5C9-C805-441D-86A6-6B37E9403317.jpeg

It's one I would like to get, there's demand from Oz collectors as well as Four Color collectors.  I'm not sure I've ever seen a copy.

On 8/10/2022 at 10:47 PM, OtherEric said:

It's one I would like to get, there's demand from Oz collectors as well as Four Color collectors.  I'm not sure I've ever seen a copy.

I actually had it up for sale in a now closed thread.  PM me if you’d like to see the listing. (thumbsu