• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Gary Carter?

87 posts in this topic

From my understanding, he sold off his Mile High collection to a Japanese investor many years back and the remainder of his comic collection or at least a good portion of it was purchased by So Cal Comics of San Diego.

By the way, Congrats Jeff on the great news!! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I remember him being a SERIOUS D.C collector. I believe he had just about every vintage isuue D.C ever issued...Every single one. I had heard that he sold off his collection also. I think he was one of the first guys to get 1st dibs in the Mile High Collection back in the late 70s.

The baseball player and the collector are different guys right?

I'm only asking because I used to make jokes about the editor Ralph Macchio of Marvel being the Karate Kid. I found out this year it's the same guy.

So now I'm going to fall for all of these things.

I'm only asking because I used to make jokes about the editor Ralph Macchio of Marvel being the Karate Kid. I found out this year it's the same guy.

He's not the ballplayer.

But I had no idea that's what became of the Karate Kid.

He's *not* the same guy. frustrated.gif

oK GOOD

And yes, the Marvel editor is the Karate Kid. I always thought it was just a name coincidence, but inside the Marvel Zombies Hardcover, Robert Kirkman talks at length about it.

I also talked to Angel Medina about it as well at a convention recently. He said he was glad he hadn't seen him because he'd be tempted to do the crane kick thing in front of him. lol

oK GOOD

And yes, the Marvel editor is the Karate Kid. I always thought it was just a name coincidence, but inside the Marvel Zombies Hardcover, Robert Kirkman talks at length about it.

I also talked to Angel Medina about it as well at a convention recently. He said he was glad he hadn't seen him because he'd be tempted to do the crane kick thing in front of him. lol

Umm, the Karate Kid Ralph is not the same person as the Marvel editor Ralph:

Karate Kid Ralph

Editor Ralph

oK GOOD

Its not the same guy.

Well at least this got nipped in the bud before anyone else got off track.

I talked with him on the phone once, about 5 years ago. I was buying up CBM back issues. He was a really nice person to talk to. I remember asking him about purchasing those MILE HIGHs when they first became available. He said he took out a second mortgage on his house to buy a whole bunch of them. He also said he should have taken out a third mortgage and bought more. Really cool guy.

I never thought Comic Book Marketplace was the same after he left. Use to be my favorite magazine but just didn't do it for me with Cochran at the helm.

I used to eagerly scan the magazine rack at the local comic store for the next issue of Comic Book Marketplace when Gary Carter was the editor.

frown.gif