• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do people listing on Comiclink even care about GPA?

239 posts in this topic

there are some good deals on comiclink especially in their focused auctions. As listing prices on ebay go up i am seeing more reasonably priced items on the link! Many books are set at ridiculously high prices which the smart collector won't go for but sometimes if you wait out a book for several months while making low ball offers to the seller he will come back down to a more reasonable price point!

Well, I believe there are far too many venues available to have to try and "low ball" someone repeatedly until they finally give in.

I personally wouldn't want someone doing that to me!

i have bid on a couple books there. Sometimes the seller will meet you half way! Worth the hassle if you see something you really want besides its part of the set up so if you list overpriced books there you should expect it! It took me a year to sell a spidey 5 CGC 7.5 for a $1000 on the link . In that time period i received numerous low ball offers of around $700 - they didn't bother me i just declined them and moved on!

there are some good deals on comiclink especially in their focused auctions. As listing prices on ebay go up i am seeing more reasonably priced items on the link! Many books are set at ridiculously high prices which the smart collector won't go for but sometimes if you wait out a book for several months while making low ball offers to the seller he will come back down to a more reasonable price point!

Well, I believe there are far too many venues available to have to try and "low ball" someone repeatedly until they finally give in.

i have bid on a couple books there. Sometimes the seller will meet you half way! Worth the hassle if you see something you really want besides its part of the set up so if you list overpriced books there you should expect it! It took me a year to sell a spidey 5 CGC 7.5 for a $1000 on the link . In that time period i received numerous low ball offers of around $700 - they didn't bother me i just declined them and moved on!

But what's the point? Why bother listing something for a price that you'll never sell at just to get low ball offers? It seems to me that if you list something for sale for a price that is within reason that in the long run you're going to sell a lot more items with a lot happier customers.

We're not talking Hulk #1, or even ASM #1 here... I'm talking about the books that are easy to find on any given week. Seems to me that if you're reasonable on those that when it comes time for people to buy those big keys then they'll come back to someone they trust that has been fair with them.

But what's the point? Why bother listing something for a price that you'll never sell at just to get low ball offers? It seems to me that if you list something for sale for a price that is within reason that in the long run you're going to sell a lot more items with a lot happier customers.

We're not talking Hulk #1, or even ASM #1 here... I'm talking about the books that are easy to find on any given week. Seems to me that if you're reasonable on those that when it comes time for people to buy those big keys then they'll come back to someone they trust that has been fair with them.

people just want to get top $ but after the books sit awhile they get discouraged and will take less sometimes. As far as having happier customers most sellers on comiclink don't care about the customers happiness i would think being as certified books are non returnable and the set up is completely anonymous so it's almost like you are selling to a non entity!

Edited by mar-vell

Using some of Bruce's new replies you should have bought the copy in the Heritage auction.

Guide is $550 on a 7.5. The last time I sold a JLA #3 was an 8.0 in 2002 for $575.

Ok, So what you and George are telling me is that this particular issue in mid to high grade is selling for under Overstreet guide CGC graded.

The seller is not listing a JLA #3 6.5 for double Overstreet Price Guide. He is listing it at double GPA.

If he cracked it out and sold it raw would you feel better? Then we can argue if he is pricing raw books too high according to the Overstreet Price Guide.

Lastly, Heritage sold the book. Well that explains the low price. 893whatthe.gif

people just want to get top $ but after the books sit awhile they get discouraged and will take less sometimes. As far as having happier customers most sellers on comiclink don't care about the customers happiness i would think being as certified books are non returnable and the set up is completely anonmous so it's almost like you are selling to a non entity!

sorry.gif but I kinda think you're missing my point a little. I'm not poke2.gif either

Ding Ding! Let round 3 begin!

This is exactly what I am talking about

"Price that is within reason"

Please define this. I do and go across the country and sell in different markets. Depending on what part of the country, what time of year, what current financial the person is in all influences his/her defintion of "Within reason"

Using some of Bruce's new replies you should have bought the copy in the Heritage auction.

Guide is $550 on a 7.5. The last time I sold a JLA #3 was an 8.0 in 2002 for $575.

Ok, So what you and George are telling me is that this particular issue in mid to high grade is selling for under Overstreet guide CGC graded.

The seller is not listing a JLA #3 6.5 for double Overstreet Price Guide. He is listing it at double GPA.

If he cracked it out and sold it raw would you feel better? Then we can argue if he is pricing raw books too high according to the Overstreet Price Guide.

Lastly, Heritage sold the book. Well that explains the low price. 893whatthe.gif

Bob, I was only making the point on how our service can be used: looking at prices across all grades for a specific book - although sometimes only a few sales exist for any one grade, taking into consideration all prices for all grades and looking at census info can give one a better idea on how a book is being priced.

Josh, we can continue going over this. You want to report some sales to us, we would rather you reported all sales. Other than the chart busters section on our home page, there is no identifier as to where the sale comes from. I can't force you to report to us, you can't force me to change my policy. Dealers are free to do what they want, buyers are free to do what they want.

I stand by my service and don't believe it misleads in any way. If that is your opinion, well, that is your opinion. You ultimately deal directly with your customers and you are best placed to put your argument forward for whatever position you hold for any and all issues.

George, To backtrack to the point you came in on - a board member asked why ComicLink doesn't report to GPA. In response, I said I offered to report select ComicLink sales data, not all data, and that it wasn't accepted. That is where it stands and I am ok with it.

It is necessary in a pricing discussion relating to ComicLink ask prices (or ask prices elsewhere) as compared to GPA gathered data, to point out that a collector referring to GPA exclusively might misvalue scarce books because of incomplete sales data. This is important for buyers of expensive books to know in order to preclude a price ceiling on items that should be, and have always been, good investments. Thanks, Josh Nathanson www.comiclink.com

people just want to get top $ but after the books sit awhile they get discouraged and will take less sometimes. As far as having happier customers most sellers on comiclink don't care about the customers happiness i would think being as certified books are non returnable and the set up is completely anonmous so it's almost like you are selling to a non entity!

sorry.gif but I kinda think you're missing my point a little. I'm not poke2.gif either

what point are you making? That people shouldn't bother listing them at all? I agree on that for the most part the books won't sell i guess just some people are hoping to get lucky and hook a sucker -and since there is no listing fee to the greedy its a no brainer!

George, To backtrack to the point you came in on - a board member asked why ComicLink doesn't report to GPA. In response, I said I offered to report select ComicLink sales data, not all data, and that it wasn't accepted. That is where it stands and I am ok with it.

I'll be accused of nit-picking, but your exact comment was : "I actually recently offered to start supplying some realized prices (selected higher dollar sales) to GPA and they did not appear to be interested ." Not exactly how our email conversation went. But either way, I'm ok with your decision also, after all, you contacted me and I explained why I wouldn't take just selected sales. As I said, we are both set in the way we operate and that's fine thumbsup2.gif

It is necessary in a pricing discussion relating to ComicLink ask prices (or ask prices elsewhere) as compared to GPA gathered data, to point out that a collector referring to GPA exclusively might misvalue scarce books because of incomplete sales data. This is important for buyers of expensive books to know in order to preclude a price ceiling on items that should be, and have always been, good investments. Thanks, Josh Nathanson www.comiclink.com

People place a ceiling on what they will pay for a book for many reasons. One might be GPA. Before GPA there was information gathered by specific individuals that had the time. Either way, whatever the basis for a sell or buy decision, dealers/buyers/sellers negotiate one-on-one and can come to an agreement on the merit of their argument on why a price is fair.

Ding Ding! Let round 3 begin!

This is exactly what I am talking about

"Price that is within reason"

Please define this. I do and go across the country and sell in different markets. Depending on what part of the country, what time of year, what current financial the person is in all influences his/her defintion of "Within reason"

Sure everyone's definition of a "reasonable price" is dependent on all sorts of things.

My definition of a REAONABLE PRICE like you asked for is a price that the AVERAGE CONSUMER can AGREE upon is a FMV of a given item. Which also equates to a price point at which the AVERAGE CONSUMER is willing to pay for a given item. (a la' the results that you find on GPA)

You have been in business selling "collectibles" long enough to know what an average consumer in this hobby is. My concern is your temperment towards "new" things and perspectives in this hobby. We all have worked in jobs where we feel like the customer/client doesn't know what their talking about or that you're tired of hearing the same things all the time. If that has made you as upset as you appear, then maybe it's time to retire? confused-smiley-013.gif

what point are you making? That people shouldn't bother listing them at all? I agree on that for the most part the books won't sell i guess just some people are hoping to get lucky and hook a sucker -and since there is no listing fee to the greedy its a no brainer!

Mar-vell, you're definitely making my point for me much better than I have. 893applaud-thumb.gif

I'll be accused of nit-picking, but your exact comment was : "I actually recently offered to start supplying some realized prices (selected higher dollar sales) to GPA and they did not appear to be interested ." Not exactly how our email conversation went. But either way, I'm ok with your decision also, after all, you contacted me and I explained why I wouldn't take just selected sales. As I said, we are both set in the way we operate and that's fine thumbsup2.gif

People place a ceiling on what they will pay for a book for many reasons. One might be GPA. Before GPA there was information gathered by specific individuals that had the time. Either way, whatever the basis for a sell or buy decision, dealers/buyers/sellers negotiate one-on-one and can come to an agreement on the merit of their argument on why a price is fair.

I'll clarify my statement for complete accuracy - "I actually recently offered to start supplying some realized prices (selected higher dollar sales) to GPA and they did not appear to be interested" ...in receiving select sales data from us. Agreed? Anyway, no attack launched here and no defense necessary. Good luck in 2007 with your business. -Josh Nathanson, www.comiclink.com

I'll clarify my statement for complete accuracy - "I actually recently offered to start supplying some realized prices (selected higher dollar sales) to GPA and they did not appear to be interested" ...in receiving select sales data from us. Agreed? Anyway, no attack launched here and no defense necessary. Good luck in 2007 with your business. -Josh Nathanson, www.comiclink.com

Josh, likewise - I'm here to defend our service where necessary and not pass judgment on ComicLink smile.gif All the best.