• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Do people listing on Comiclink even care about GPA?

239 posts in this topic

27_laughing.gif

You can learn more about happy endings from an asian massage parlor than from a book, trust thumbsup2.gif

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Does it have anything to do with flogging? wink.gif

anybody got pics? popcorn.gif

okay repeating what a lot of people seem to have said...

The guides are there to offer a guide, what do ya know. It's a handy tool to negotiate for buys but that's not all it should come down to. If a book is very stealthy and I've spent a long time looking for it to no avail, I would be willing to raise the bar to get it. Why is this argument even going on? Everyone keeps validating each others points while argueing...

The guides are there to offer a guide, what do ya know. It's a handy tool to negotiate for buys but that's not all it should come down to. If a book is very stealthy and I've spent a long time looking for it to no avail, I would be willing to raise the bar to get it. Why is this argument even going on? Everyone keeps validating each others points while argueing...

Its because we're all one big family. 27_laughing.gif

Sibling rivalry..... stooges.gif

Sharing the love, in a viking kind of way confused-smiley-013.gif

As I often point out at work, "we're in violent agreement"

Josh and George... with such earnest mutual respect why not continue discussing this. Josh obviously sees a value in helping GPAs figures be more accurate in the upper end of sales. That certainly makes a lot of sense to all of us who dwell in HG land. The closer GPA gets to universal access to all HIGH END sales, all the better for GPAs product. And you will already have plenty of data in the lower grades since they are more plentiful and trade more often.

However, George, you have a policy of only acceting 100% of a dealers data. Fine. (and dandy!) Case closed. Agree to disagree.

But Josh made a surprisingly interesting statement which rings true to my ears: some of your present contributors are not complying with your stated rules and holding back some sales data. So I think you two should discuss this further, and you George do a little investigating to ascertain the truth. And if Josh is right, either straighten those guys out.... or make a deal with Josh.

Frankly, Comiclink sells so many comics at the high end that his data is arguably NECESSARY in this current market for your data to become as useful and accurate as possible... no?

There should be a compromise in this situation..... since you may already have been compromised by other dealers info.

just my humble opinion.

Frankly, Comiclink sells so many comics at the high end that his data is arguably NECESSARY in this current market for your data to become as useful and accurate as possible... no?

As has been stated repeatedly in this thread, GPA is a tool, no more no less. People who use the tool simply need to understand its limitations, which in this case is that not every big dealer provides their info to GPA. Would GPA be BETTER with CL's data? Sure. But it would also be better with lots of other dealers' data. Perhaps you should go and badger those other dealers to provide their data.

Is CL's data NECESSARY? No. The parties have said their piece, and I don't think there's any great reason to force this discussion any further. Quite frankly, I think cherry-picked data would be worse than no data. You seem to be accepting at face value Josh's statement that other dealers are providing less than full data to GPA. Even if they are, I think there could be a difference between not providing 100% of data and just picking out the select data you want to provide.

I dont understand why youd rather see it end at a stalemate?

I fully agree. I would rather see the thread end with a fist fight. Half the fun of reading these threads is that they motivate me to trek into the kitchen for more popcorn. Although I'm not sure why? popcorn.gif

My take on all this, is as follows. Comics are nothing more than paper and worth what they are printed on. It is the collector that makes the item more valuable than what it is. If you think it it 2 high dont bid or buy it. A seller can ask for anything they want, it is up to a buyer if they are willing to purchase it. I have paid more than GPA and less than GPA, it is your collecting habits that influence how much to pay. If you are bidding or buying certain comics you have a idea of what it is going for and the scarcity of the item. I have picked up good deals here and from Blazingbob and other venues. If I felt I got a good price then the other person must have felt good about it also because they accepted my bid or BIN. In the end it is up to the buyer they are the one with the POWER since they make the purchase.

My take on all this, is as follows. Comics are nothing more than paper and worth what they are printed on. It is the collector that makes the item more valuable than what it is. If you think it it 2 high dont bid or buy it. A seller can ask for anything they want, it is up to a buyer if they are willing to purchase it. I have paid more than GPA and less than GPA, it is your collecting habits that influence how much to pay. If you are bidding or buying certain comics you have a idea of what it is going for and the scarcity of the item. I have picked up good deals here and from Blazingbob and other venues. If I felt I got a good price then the other person must have felt good about it also because they accepted my bid or BIN . In the end it is up to the buyer they are the one with the POWER since they make the purchase.

893blahblah.gif

Your statement would be fine if we were dealing with one of a kind items here. We are not.

Reread what I "bolded" above, what if you had paid 300% of OS? Of course the other person would feel good about it! Where would that leave you when you realize that your Spawn #1 isn't even worth 100% of guide and you find another one for 20% of what you paid? Would you still feel good about that purchase or would you be pissed?

I cant tell you how many times I sold a book only to see another copy sold later/prior for more.

I cant tell you how many times I bought a book only to see it later sell for less.

Thats life in this hobby my friend.

My take on all this, is as follows. Comics are nothing more than paper and worth what they are printed on. It is the collector that makes the item more valuable than what it is. If you think it it 2 high dont bid or buy it. A seller can ask for anything they want, it is up to a buyer if they are willing to purchase it. I have paid more than GPA and less than GPA, it is your collecting habits that influence how much to pay. If you are bidding or buying certain comics you have a idea of what it is going for and the scarcity of the item. I have picked up good deals here and from Blazingbob and other venues. If I felt I got a good price then the other person must have felt good about it also because they accepted my bid or BIN . In the end it is up to the buyer they are the one with the POWER since they make the purchase.

893blahblah.gif

Your statement would be fine if we were dealing with one of a kind items here. We are not.

Reread what I "bolded" above, what if you had paid 300% of OS? Of course the other person would feel good about it! Where would that leave you when you realize that your Spawn #1 isn't even worth 100% of guide and you find another one for 20% of what you paid? Would you still feel good about that purchase or would you be pissed?

I would be pissed probably because i was stupid enough to pay that and not researching good enough makepoint.gif

I wouldnt jump at the first 1 i see unless its been a long trek and i knew i had to get it at that price.