• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The 5 most recognizable Super Heroes?

92 posts in this topic

Superman

Batman

Spider-Man

Wonder Woman

The Phantom

You would have to make it the top six to fit the Hulk in, and then you'd have the most recognisable list.

All have had movies, TV shows, cartoon show's, the works, and for decades running now.

Superman

Batman

Spiderman

Wonder Woman

Wolverine

Wolverine who? Think...X-men, x-men movies, x-men catoon series, and thats about it. Wolverine is only singled out in our circles.

And thats why the phantom is off the radar in our circles as well. As comic books go, it dies in the 60's with Gold key, but there are many generations who know the movies and the cartoon series. Only the recent generation know the x-men to any meaningful degree.

If you pulled 1000 people out of the crowd (non comic collectors) all age groups

you would get the names of the iconic heroes.

Superman

Batman

Robin

Wonder Woman

Spiderman

and the only reason you'd get Robin is because "Batman & Robin" have become almost one word.

Superman

Batman

Spider-man

Hulk

Wonder Woman

They've all had T.V. Shows and most have movies. WW soon.

these 5 were in my original list of six and after reading about the informal poll of 100 people that one forumite had already done, i've no reason to think otherwise.

i agree that the TV exposure is a big reason for all of these characters.

If you pulled 1000 people out of the crowd (non comic collectors) all age groups

you would get the names of the iconic heroes.

Superman

Batman

Robin

Wonder Woman

Spiderman

and the only reason you'd get Robin is because "Batman & Robin" have become almost one word.

I agree with this completely, anyone over the age of 45 (which is a lot of people) would automatically go with Superman, Batman, Robin, and Wonder Woman. Those are THE super-heroes for that group of people. And likely Spider-man would be the 5th. Wolverine would get very few votes in this age group. Only the Hulk (because of the 70's tv show) would have a chance of knocking someone off this list.

Folks younger than 45 would likely vote for most of the same crew with the exception of Robin or Wonder Woman. But a lot of the non-comics kids would just because that's what their parents know. So I can't see enough Wolverine support to make the list.

Plus.. the original question said "RECOGNIZABLE".

The movie Wolverine is not recognizable as the Comic Book Wolverine in a lot of cases. (Only by the claws and the hair... no mask)

Plus, Wolverine has had two major costume changes during that time (along with different looks for the Ultimate universe.)

Didn't see my best guess listed, so...

Superman

Batman

Spider-man

Wonder Woman

Supergirl

I'm think more small kids (worldwide) would know Supergirl from that S-shield, over Hulk, Robin, Wolverine, etc...

Supergirl......Hadn't considered her. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif

After the new Ghost Rider movie bcomes a HUGE success

Ghost Rider will be more recognizable then Superman

____ I almost typed that whole thing without laughing

Ok, just asked my Mom and Dad for their picks:

Dad:

1) Batman & Robin (he conjoined them)

2) Superman

3) Spider-Man

4) Captain Marvel (Timulty would be so pleased)

5) Green Lantern

Mom:

1) Superman

2) Batman

3) Hulk

4) Spider-Man

5) Wonder Woman

Here's mine:

1) Superman

2) Spider-Man

3) Batman

4) Incredible Hulk

5) Wonder Woman

Yep, I agree with this list as well.

Superman

Batman

Spiderman

Hulk

Wonder Woman

I'm surprised it took so long for "Captain Marvel/Shazam" to pop up. Been around 60+ years, had a tv show, movie serial...I'd put him ahead of Wolverine, but behind Robin

Superman

Batman

Spiderman

Hulk

Wonder Woman

Robin

Captain Marvel

Wolverine

Captain America

Phantom or Mighty Mouse

Nothing really new here as I more or less agree with the general consensus.

The 4 givens are:

Batman

Spider-Man

Superman, and

The Hulk

I would be surprised if the fifth most "recognizable" was a hero other than:

Wonder Woman, or

Captain America

... And, IMO, slightly less likely, but NOT surprising would be:

Wolverine, or

The Flash

My thinking is that if you showed a statistically significant portion of the population pictures of super heroes, most would correctly identify Captain America and Wonder Woman. They are iconic characters, part of Americana, and have EASILY recognizable costumes.

The Flash also has a recognizable costume, but is somewhat less entrenched in American culture. Wolverine's costume is not anymore recognizable than any other X-Man, but I think if his claws were extended in a picture, he becomes distinctive enough to make the list (perhaps not the short list of 5, however). He is not as iconic, even compared to the Flash, primarily due to the longevity of the other characters as they existed during a time when many more people read comics.

just asked my wife sitting on the sofa next to me ... she said:

1 -- Spiderman

2 -- Superman

3 -- Batman

"Give me a minute."

She then tossed out Dardevil (because he's my guy, I think) and then X-Men (because we watch the movies.)

I called her on those reasons, she asked what you guys were saying ... I said Wonder Woman (yes, the TV show) and Hulk (yes, the TV show.) tongue.giftongue.gif