• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
25 25

4,848 posts in this topic

10 hours ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

They were Hundred, which covered WW, Flash, Challengers (remember them) and early on Tomahawk plus filler, All Favourites (note our spelling) Varied a lot, but there was a run where it had a lot of Showcase, 22,23,24 1st Suicide Squad, early Sea Devils, Century had lots of Johnny Thunder, Trigger Twins etc Gil Kane and Cinf art, random Sci Fi, Five Score was very heavy Sci Fi, Mystery in Space pre Adam Strange, and Strange Adventures, actually the early ones are really good, Century Comics has pre SC30 Aquaman and then follows with SC30 onwards, Mighty has JLA although the B & B issues were back ups and turn up in strange places, then the two Superman books. Super Adventure comics has Superman, Batman and LSH, the one above had Superman Lois Lane and Jimmy Olsen and Supergirl.  These last two had no filler, the others had lots of 50s crime, and adventure, Congo Bill, Rex the Wonder Dog, Tommy Tomorrow, Foley of the Fighting 5th etc. Part of the fun is the randomness. You open it up and surprise you also get the very first Sekowsky. The  Adam Strange. The cover paper is thinner, does not yellow as much, but as it is thinner, they wear badly on the spine. The one showed is in very high condition for a Aus book.

It looks like the Flash was predominantly featured on the covers of “The Hundred Comic” I found a listing of many of the covers on Comic Vine...link here.

https://comicvine.gamespot.com/hundred-comic/4050-84460/

I just now realized how similar the covers of Flash #122 and #144 are. Same color logo, same color sky, same color object of interest, Flash running in the same direction, skyline in background, three word balloons pretty much saying the same thing. The only thing much different is the cover price!

1804906864_FLASH122.jpg.c77da9e200147d2193676c42620ec712.jpg82635846_FLASH144.jpg.7fe40f7721a835d07c72d3f215ff3033.jpg

Edited by Jaylam

I was finally able to get my comics from my sub box at MLS today. Since they have been closed for about a month, they have endeavored to start delivering them to all their subscribers. I had a months worth of Flash stored up. Issue 750 came out just prior to the outbreak so this is the first time I got to see all the beautiful tribute covers in person! Here are the tributes to the 1950's and 1960's. I thought they were well done and I'm so glad to finally have them:cloud9: 

image.png.70d0d8d82046fdb9699440e40822f2e8.pngimage.png.d4ea79fa72cf424211e14c3060c7c43f.png

1 hour ago, flashlites said:

I was finally able to get my comics from my sub box at MLS today. Since they have been closed for about a month, they have endeavored to start delivering them to all their subscribers. I had a months worth of Flash stored up. Issue 750 came out just prior to the outbreak so this is the first time I got to see all the beautiful tribute covers in person! Here are the tributes to the 1950's and 1960's. I thought they were well done and I'm so glad to finally have them:cloud9: 

My local shop closed back in Dec 2018, been a client for over 20 years and of course became friends with the owner and staff. Then the best option was the city shop, which has been in the middle of a move and has not actually had a store front now for nearly two months. I have lost track of what is in my pickup, and then found out Diamond has stopped. Strange times. Lucky enough to get the cover to 756 and I don't even know if it has or will be published. Sigh. My first major Grodd page (hmm cover) . Even my wife said grab it. I am a silver age fan, but I am a sucker for a great Rouges story and art. Have to say Josh has won me over. To start with it was just another new Flash volume, but I thought his Trickster story was great, and the new looks Rogues really grew on me. I think Broome would be proud of them. Damm I love this cover.

Flash #756 Inks.jpg

Flash-756.jpg

Edited by Terry E. Gibbs

On 4/16/2020 at 8:39 AM, Jaylam said:

I just now realized how similar the covers of Flash #122 and #144 are. Same color logo, same color sky, same color object of interest, Flash running in the same direction, skyline in background, three word balloons pretty much saying the same thing. The only thing much different is the cover price!

Yes, but only one of them is called "Menace of the Man-Missile"...xD

10 hours ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

My local shop closed back in Dec 2018, been a client for over 20 years and of course became friends with the owner and staff. Then the best option was the city shop, which has been in the middle of a move and has not actually had a store front now for nearly two months. I have lost track of what is in my pickup, and then found out Diamond has stopped. Strange times. Lucky enough to get the cover to 756 and I don't even know if it has or will be published. Sigh. My first major Grodd page (hmm cover) . Even my wife said grab it. I am a silver age fan, but I am a sucker for a great Rouges story and art. Have to say Josh has won me over. To start with it was just another new Flash volume, but I thought his Trickster story was great, and the new looks Rogues really grew on me. I think Broome would be proud of them. Damm I love this cover.

Flash #756 Inks.jpg

Flash-756.jpg

Its an awesome cover! And you're right JB and CInf would be proud. I think John in particular would have flourished in this new era. He would have had so much freedom to tell more in-depth stories and develop bigger tales. Carmine could always draw what ever he envisioned out of the story and created beautiful images, but the writers of the day were limited and had only so many pages in which to wrap up the story. In this new era where story arcs take months to develop John would have had a lot of fun. 

8 hours ago, flashlites said:

Its an awesome cover! And you're right JB and CInf would be proud. I think John in particular would have flourished in this new era. He would have had so much freedom to tell more in-depth stories and develop bigger tales. Carmine could always draw what ever he envisioned out of the story and created beautiful images, but the writers of the day were limited and had only so many pages in which to wrap up the story. In this new era where story arcs take months to develop John would have had a lot of fun. 

Yeah agree. You can see what he did with , 139,147,153,165 how he could build small sagas, (not to mention his GL work). He would love this current working environment.

1 hour ago, frozentundraguy said:

The last page of the letter column from Flash 124.

flash_121_letter.jpeg

Well, too bad I’m 58 years too late to write in a get me some original Flash artwork! Where’s that special treadmill when you need it?

Edited by Jaylam

6 hours ago, frozentundraguy said:

A reading of the entire letter column reveals the OA contest was already in motion. :makepoint:

LOL, yeah it starts around 112 to 113 from what I can find out and finishes around 153. Nothing given in 154 or 155 and I am too lazy to drag my 153 out of mylar to check.