• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
25 25

4,848 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

And if you only have one Flash book, that is not bad one to have. Not as rare as a 123 or a 110 but maybe equally as important. Presents very nicely.

Thanks much Sir! I was out of town and went to a comic shop nearby and there it was! You know how it is, when you go into a shop, you want to find SOMETHING to buy and this fit the bill. 

On 4/28/2020 at 7:00 PM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

and soon to be shot into Space .. Digger knew the idea was a winner the was only the execution letting him down, and Bates took care of that..(kind of easy to see what Bates grew up with)

I have to admit I'm puzzled, who is Digger?

23 hours ago, frozentundraguy said:

I have to admit I'm puzzled, who is Digger?

When Broome created Captain Boomerang and wanted to make him Australian (as the Boomerang was seen as atypically Australian, almost as much as Kangeroos in that era, he needed an Australian name, so he picked Digger Harkness. Now the term Digger was applied to Vets from WW II who had fought in Northern Africa against Rommel. While the war in Europe was on holidays from around 1940 to 1943 the Germans were trying to secure all of the Mediterranean. They had the North, with France, Italy and Greece with Spain being neutral (although Fascist) but there were Australians stationed in Tobruk Lybia. They were blockaded from reinforcements and shelled continually but Tobruck was never taken. Every time the Germans and Italians tried to take it the Australians held them out, 303 Rifles and bloody big bayonets. When they returned to Australia they were affectionately called Diggers, as they had dug in and lived in fox holes for months in stifling heat and choking dust. It became a nick name for many of them that stuck and a nick name with respect. No one is called digger today, but if you look at Boomerang he was never drawn young, and could very well have been one of those 17 year olds stuck in Tobruck when the siege started. 

Edited by Terry E. Gibbs

This is one of my .50c buys from 1982. With limited funds my upgrading was aimed at Rogues covers, and a couple of others, and a nice mid copy never crossed my path, and yes it is the only one I have.

image.png.d51e3b94017c741dd8cbffa5737c783a.png

I got this in 2016, things were really starting to roll for me then when I realized I could pick up these back issues (in less than desirable shape) for $30 or less. I started buying 3-4 at a time! Is this the first time Flash reveled his identity? :insane: 

Edited by flashlites

10 minutes ago, flashlites said:

I got this in 2016, things were really starting to roll for me then when I realized I could pick up these back issues (in less than desirable shape) for $30 or less. I started buying 3-4 at a time! Is this the first time Flash reveled his identity? :insane: 

I have a feeling you know the answer to that, and it is not 149 ??? Makes me realise that these could do with a reread. Problem is I start to oh and ah over the art and the stories get lost in warm fuzzy feelings ..sigh.

It's been eerily quiet on the Flash front recently, and I have no issue #149 to share. Thus I have a new challenge, that may be a tad tougher than the last one. For some big time bragging rights which issue of Flash Comics contains this non story panel?

Flash_136_flashfact.jpeg

10 hours ago, frozentundraguy said:

It's been eerily quiet on the Flash front recently, and I have no issue #149 to share. Thus I have a new challenge, that may be a tad tougher than the last one. For some big time bragging rights which issue of Flash Comics contains this non story panel?

We all may need to chip in here to figure this one out. Judging form the style of the art i'd say it would have to be pre 1965? And its not an 'Amazing Speeds' feature... so it must pre date that?...I will have to do some digging later and see if I can find it...

1 hour ago, flashlites said:

We all may need to chip in here to figure this one out. Judging form the style of the art i'd say it would have to be pre 1965? And its not an 'Amazing Speeds' feature... so it must pre date that?...I will have to do some digging later and see if I can find it...

Since I don’t have too many Flash’s that are that old for me to check, I will go out on a limb and try to make a deduction. Since it has to do with sound, could it be this this was a feature in an issue where one of the Flash’s villains uses sound as his M.O., say the Pied Piper for instance?

1 hour ago, flashlites said:

You might have to call in the Digger to solve this one. (thumbsu

8 hours ago, Jaylam said:

Since I don’t have too many Flash’s that are that old for me to check, I will go out on a limb and try to make a deduction. Since it has to do with sound, could it be this this was a feature in an issue where one of the Flash’s villains uses sound as his M.O., say the Pied Piper for instance?

Time for another clue or two. It is not issue 117 or 124, and  the Pied Piper is not in this issue.

it's not in the Showcase issues right? Because you said 'Flash Comics' and its not Golden age right? It looks early and I just checked my 105 so its not that early. Can I buy a vowel? LoL! Is it a 10 cent issue or a 12 cent issue?