• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
25 25

4,848 posts in this topic

It was 120. Note who won some artwork. Roy Thomas !!!! Future sub editor to Mort Wessinger, and then Stan Lee, and the writer of Marvel's The Invaders" in the 70s and of course All Star Squadron, and long time Alter Ego fanzine. He should have gotten the Captain Boomerang art work, except for his letter in 113. His own fault, he was the guy who brought the Dim Wits back. Roy also hosted discussion of the panel guests at the NY 1965 Con, the first that ran what we consider to be today's panels with professionals. (I think Otto Binder, and Gill Kane were two out of three). I am guessing Roy was sending Julie a letter for JLA,Flash, & GL at least, every month and we all should be grateful as although his love of the Dim Wits proved a failure his huge love of the JSA was one of the factors (together with Jerry Bails and other fans too numerous to mention) that was a big contributor to "Flash of Two Worlds" and the multiverse.

DSC05841.JPG

DSC05839.JPG

DSC05838.JPG

Edited by Terry E. Gibbs

1 hour ago, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Did you catch the Infantino letter about John Broome at the end ?? Sweet.  Also I think Rob Jennings may have been part of Fandom, maybe had a fanzine or was a major contributor. The major fans names keep on coming up.

Yes, I did catch that letter. I went back to re-read the entire page and noticed a letter from Larry Liberman, which is close to but not quite Larry Lieber. That would have been too big of a coincidence.

53 minutes ago, frozentundraguy said:

Which leads me to wonder if Jack Kirby was writing letters in to Flash in hopes of getting some original art. lol

"I think Carmine is the best working artist today". If only he made Captain Colds gun the size of a small cannon ..

Signed

Jack Kirby

12 minutes ago, flashlites said:

I will have to go back and read it. Was it in 144? Will post my 145 tomorrow. I believe I remember reading that comment from Carmine some years ago.

124 Flashgrams back on page 144. Back then don't think many readers knew who Broome was.

9 hours ago, flashlites said:

I love the perspective of the scene, the red sun, very different look and a unique cover indeed! Here's mine I graded years ago at 2.5 but i'm thinking its more in 3.5 range. What do you guys think?

image.png.f7f88e35a1cf84ccb47d11e19cb4cdbb.png

A little hard to tell from the small scan, but even with the small crease in the lower right hand corner, I would think it's more like a 4.5.

Edited by frozentundraguy

8 minutes ago, frozentundraguy said:

A little hard to tell from the small scan, but even with the small crease in the lower left hand corner, I would think it's more like a 4.5.

Thanks! Me too, or maybe at least a 4.0. I was way too harsh back then. Through the grading contests here I have really become pretty accurate. That means eventually I will have to re-evaluate about 200 comics. LoL!:pullhair:

Edited by flashlites
Addition

6 minutes ago, flashlites said:

Thanks! Me too, or maybe at least a 4.0. I was way too harsh back then. Through the grading contests here I have really become pretty accurate. That means eventually I will have to re-evaluate about 200 comics. LoL!:pullhair:

if it's structurally sound, it looks good enough to be 5.5.

4 minutes ago, Jaylam said:

if it's structurally sound, it looks good enough to be 5.5.

checking now... out of curiosity. BC is lightly soiled  with a corner crease as well CF is loose at one staple PQ is off white/white. I'd say it has a shot at a 5, but I would understand if it came back a 4-4.5.

2 hours ago, Jaylam said:

This is the only Flash #145 I ever owned. I sold it about 5 years ago. Always liked the cover. Its original on sale date was Apr. 16 1964. 56 years ago...Wow!

1575136859_flash-1450005smalledited.jpg.596699a4be17a30fc7a82fc290c2321a.jpg

A gorgeous copy Jaylam!!! Anything from this era at or above 7.0 is just amazing! How did they survive all those years in such great condition!?

In between Flash #145 and Flash #146, this issue of Action Comics #314 came out. In spite of the apparent Flash theme on the cover, it’s  actually just a small segment of a story about how Jor-El choose the Earth as the best planet to send his son out of many planets he was looking into.

9C744B1C-DEC4-46CF-82FE-9B3466584701.jpeg.586fc4700a2c40e8fac63bebee08cf58.jpeg