• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Flash collectors thread
25 25

4,848 posts in this topic

21 minutes ago, Jaylam said:

In between Flash #145 and Flash #146, this issue of Action Comics #314 came out. In spite of the apparent Flash theme on the cover, it’s  actually just a small segment of a story about how Jor-El choose the Earth as the best planet to send his son out of many planets he was looking into.

9C744B1C-DEC4-46CF-82FE-9B3466584701.jpeg.586fc4700a2c40e8fac63bebee08cf58.jpeg

Supes! Um..you're looking very Flashy there! :roflmao: It's Super Flash! This is great fun! I did not even know this existed?! :banana:I will have to get one of these eventually for the Flash collection, that and Superman 199.

Edited by flashlites
Addition

14 minutes ago, flashlites said:

A gorgeous copy Jaylam!!! Anything from this era at or above 7.0 is just amazing! How did they survive all those years in such great condition!?

Yeah, it makes you wonder. Fortunately, some people either by design or by accident really took care of their books. Usually my books were degraded to about 4.0 condition after just one day in my hands. This one was pretty nice, but had a moderately strong dust shadow all along the bottom edge that probably held its grade down some, but that also means it probably sat in a stack of books for years, thus otherwise helping to preserve its condition.

Edited by Jaylam

And wow we are already on page 146 Flash Fans! I promised my self I would not do any upgrading until I completed the run, but I came across this 146 about 2 years ago at my LCS and I couldn't resist! My original 146 was cover-less from the old 90's collection. The dealers naturally passed on it when I had to sell, so I got to keep it (but of course I always wanted one with a cover:cloud9:)

image.png.7551f6492c6035a378c3abfba22f77c7.pngimage.png.b441eec8571d5343f2f969f05c73a53c.png

2 hours ago, flashlites said:

I love the perspective of the scene, the red sun, very different look and a unique cover indeed! Here's mine I graded years ago at 2.5 but i'm thinking its more in 3.5 range. What do you guys think?

image.png.f7f88e35a1cf84ccb47d11e19cb4cdbb.png

Yep, around a F- from what you can see. I am always surprised how loose center staple and back page creases hurt grades so much.

Edited by Terry E. Gibbs

On 4/21/2020 at 12:13 AM, Terry E. Gibbs said:

Isn't this the one where Scudder goes to the same self improvement course that Iris sends Barry to ??

Yes it is. This was quite an entertaining story, especially how Barry figures out what happened. Batman or Sherlock Holmes would be proud of Barry’s attention to detail and deductive reasoning skills in this one, but of course, it is his job as a police scientist and serves him well as Barry and the Flash. Here are the first few pages of the story to whet your appetite.

9BD81EA6-338C-40D4-BF18-8AAFA8AA2EC2.thumb.jpeg.3d91312611eee3af54e71489fa5f31fe.jpeg2747CD34-6B6D-45FD-A6D0-871220C55D2F.thumb.jpeg.5f4c34bbae98c6fe4a9efc07c2f06a5f.jpeg

Edited by Jaylam

Thanks that is great. Broome's stories to me were so far in front of.. " this months story starts where most end. jail etc etc etc. I must have my revenge, now how do I find him.. etc etc. big fight, lots of damage to unused warehouses, finally victory, tah dah .. but at what cost etc etc. stay tuned for next moth where you will basically read the same story you read 6 months ago.. true believers.. "

and I chase those pages just as much as some guys chase the pages where Flash is moving at speed, or the suit comes out of the ring. love the relationship between Barry and Iris and so wish Candice Patton had done more research. Love how Josh Williamson treated her.

This is the period I love the most. The covers had bigger figures. More muscular (not quite Marvelesque but more muscular), and the characters were introduced, back stories stored away, and now they could make them more intricate. Except for Digger who was obsessed with putting Flash on a Boomerang and sending him into space. You have to admire a guy who just does not quit and in those last issues he came back with a Boomerang to end all Boomerangs. Most of my favorite stories come from this era.

Edited by Terry E. Gibbs

Here’s what gets me about most of the villains. In the real world they could have gotten rich on the up and up just by the sheer genius of their inventions or special talents, but instead they resort to a life of petty crimes. Such a waste. But then, where would that leave our heroes? 

2 hours ago, Jaylam said:

Here’s what gets me about most of the villains. In the real world they could have gotten rich on the up and up just by the sheer genius of their inventions or special talents, but instead they resort to a life of petty crimes. Such a waste. But then, where would that leave our heroes? 

At one point I remember Cold saying that combined they could have ruled the world, (okay  - maybe not that far), but they got caught up in the challenge of trapping the Flash, doing the gloating monologue. In the end they realized he played them. In Johns run, he cast them as a group of co dependents, who needed each other. It has been an interesting balance with them. I personally loved the end of the Trial of the Flash by Bates. When Infantino came back on the book seemed to get another life, all the Rogues were brought back,Jay, Ralph, Wally. In the end Kadabra was actually trying to save him from dying in Crisis, and the Rogues in freeing him so as they thought to save him, actually allowed History to takes it's path. In my mind Bates closed it out well.

14 hours ago, frozentundraguy said:

I knew I had this book for quite a while, per my notes I acquired it back in 2003.

On this run (I started this latest collection in 2013) I began keeping tabs on this info too. I jot down the year I bought it, where I purchased it and any other significant info (ie leftover from the 90's collection) grade and PQ on the back of the backing boards.

11 minutes ago, flashlites said:

We talked about these a few pages back. I have this 80 page giant placed next after 146. Some time ago I went in and tried to place the annual and the 80 page giants in chronological order, so I believe this came out about the same time as 146.

image.png.78c4f7bb60ccdd23c6248be2942164d8.png

What is the year on that one Flashlite 

10 minutes ago, flashlites said:

And this just in Flash Fans!!! It is a special moment when a Flash Fan gets his first Showcase. Today I got mine! I was originally not going to go after these due to budget constraints and focus all my resources on completing the main run first, but as mentioned earlier, MCS had one in my price range (amazingly!) just before they shut down due to the pandemic. Well, when they opened last Friday I was able to order it and it came in today!!! Both Terry and KJ shared a little bit about getting their first Showcase issues so I thought maybe you all would like to share a little too. Very happy and proud to own this well loved copy. (maybe a little too well loved but how else would I afford it:insane:?) And it fits right into my collection of wayward and abused Flashes. So glad its finally found a good Flashy home to retire in.

image.png.bfc8cafa12876fdeb2cde2075c1917ef.png

Perhaps a little rough around the edges, but how many collectors have an issue of Showcase #13 (thumbsu I recall I made a similar type of choice for a showcase issue a few years ago, but for a much less expensive book. On the other hand I do own an issue of showcase graded at 7.5, not a Flash cover though.

Edited by frozentundraguy