• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brave and the Bold Collecting Thread
1 1

759 posts in this topic

As FFB reminded me, this was also in the lot. There was 8 books in the lot. 2 bigger books 2 mid sized books (B&B1 and Atom 1 ) and 4 other books

bb22.jpg

Wow! I've never even seen that B&B cover before! And a grey tone to boot!

As FFB reminded me, this was also in the lot. There was 8 books in the lot. 2 bigger books 2 mid sized books (B&B1 and Atom 1 ) and 4 other books

bb22.jpg

Wow! I've never even seen that B&B cover before! And a grey tone to boot!

Be careful posting babes in flowered sarongs -- they'll attract Scrooge!

I've been meaning to read this thread for a while and at last did. I'm in awe of the wonderful copies of early issues.

My lowest numbers are reader copies of 30 (I think with a duplicate), 31 (coverless), 32, 35 plus an attractive fine- 35. None are where I can get at them for scanning. (I'd be interested in trading away the duplicates next time I get to "the bin".)

Some people are pledging their love of the pre-hero B&B, but I especially liked the title right up until DC turned it into an exclusively Batman teamup book. The adventure, showcase and oddball teamup issues (Metal Man/Atom, Starman/Black Canary, etc.) were great. Even Strange Sports were a change of pace, although I never would have "wasted" my 12¢ on them at the time. The Batman teamups had some high points, but month after month?

Keep 'em coming!

Jack

I love Brave and Bold 63. Only in the early 1960s DCs could Wonder Woman give up crime fighting due to the opportunity to model beautiful gowns.

A very bizarre story, even by Silver-Age DC standards!

A detail that interests me is that, as I remember it, gold blocks kryptonite radiation in this story. In Weisinger's hands, lead had this ability exclusively and at near-magical levels (i.e., the lead in a tank of leaded gasoline was capable of fully blocking kryptonite rays, yet thick layers of other metals were totally ineffective). Did Kashdan (editor) and Haney (-script) dream this up themselves? Can anyone think of another example of kryptonite being blocked by something besides lead?

(Apologies for the deep-geek question.)

Jack

BB63CGC9.jpg

Jack

Somebody called? grin.gif There is nothing wrong with flowered sarongs!

1698181-Wings83.jpg

Anyway, what am I doing posting in the SA forum? screwy.gif

Jack, did you ever receive a random package of Fed Reserve comics?

Scrooge

1698181-Wings83.jpg.497c288cb5a94b515e225339dc36ca9f.jpg

Jack

Somebody called? grin.gif There is nothing wrong with flowered sarongs!

Absolutely not! It should be universally encouraged.

1698181-Wings83.jpg

Anyway, what am I doing posting in the SA forum? screwy.gif

Apparently trollin' for babes in flowered sarongs!

Jack, did you ever receive a random package of Fed Reserve comics?

Scrooge

I don't usually resort to graemlins, but

foreheadslap.gifforeheadslap.gif

I wondered why Marquette U was distributing US Fed Reserve comics! I had requested some from the govt site a while back and a few were out of stock. I thought this was a followup with the missing ones. Not just received, but I was in the mood to index some easy books:

Federal Reserve books indexed at GCD

They're all there!

Did you tell me that they were coming? Sometime my whatchamacallit that you remember stuff with ain't what it used to be.

Answered on line instead of PM for a public thanks!

Jack

extremely underrated cover. Nice.

Not the greatest cover, IMHO. Story is fairly forgettable.

I just got a copy of that book for my collection, btw. Not a 9.6, but at least a raw 9.2.

Never have seen that one. Thanks.

BTW, what is the Bat Squad?

Bruce Wayne goes to London to watch a movie that he invested in being made. Among the crew are a hip chick in a mini-dress, a shaggy guitar player, and an ex-Scotland Yard detective. They become the Bat-Squad and help Batman solve the mystery. It's all very typical mid-sixties DC, old white guys trying to be hip.

B&B 63 is much better.

Man, you guys have some great books. I've always been a Marvel guy until I bought #28 last year and it really got me fired up on DC. What I like best about the book is how it was responsible for the creation of the modern Marvel universe, not too many books can boast that kind of influence. The cool thing about my copy is that I held the same book in my hands back in 1992 and ending up buying from the same guy recently. Never thought I'd own this book, much less the same copy from years back.

ffbb.jpg

FF takes a backseat. grin.gif

I won this from Mark Wilson today, so it's going in the thread. I just love this cover! And, it's currently the top copy. cloud9.gif

1725882-bravebold10.JPG

Congrats thumbsup2.gifFantastic Cover, Beautiful 893applaud-thumb.gif