• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Thursday afternoon with Creig Flessel
3 3

84 posts in this topic

Congrats Scott!!! 893applaud-thumb.gifhail.gif

That cover recreation is even nicer looking in person! cloud9.gifthumbsup2.gif

When we went to dinner on Friday night, after Scott's day with Flessel, he was SO pumped up about it. That had to be just an incredible, incredible day!!!

Thanks for taking the time to write that out for those of us not lucky enough to meet a living comics legend (who looks damn good for 95 by the way). Some really interesting stuff, nice to finally know who did the cover to Adventure 37.

Congrats on the recreation, you couldn't have picked a cover better than 18. Can't wait to see the finished product.

Scott, what a great story! Thank you for taking the time to report it in such detail. Creig is truly one of the great legends of this hobby, and he sounds like a wonderful person as well. I am glad that he was able to see the tribute thread and realize how much people appreciate his amazing work. I only wish that I could have been there for what sounds like a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Congratulations on the cover recreations. Those two covers would have been my first choices too. 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

Scott, what a great story! Thank you for taking the time to report it in such detail. Creig is truly one of the great legends of this hobby, and he sounds like a wonderful person as well. I am glad that he was able to see the tribute thread and realize how much people appreciate his amazing work. I only wish that I could have been there for what sounds like a once-in-a-lifetime experience. Congratulations on the cover recreations. Those two covers would have been my first choices too. 893applaud-thumb.gifthumbsup2.gif

I spoke to a couple of guys who are Flessel fans at the WonderCon forum dinner, and we kicked around the idea of having lunch with Creig as a small group of maybe four or five people. He really seemed to enjoy hanging out and talking about his work. Let me know if you're interested in coming up for something like that, and I'll see about setting it up. Win Murray, this goes for you too.

I spoke to a couple of guys who are Flessel fans at the WonderCon forum dinner, and we kicked around the idea of having lunch with Creig as a small group of maybe four or five people. He really seemed to enjoy hanging out and talking about his work. Let me know if you're interested in coming up for something like that, and I'll see about setting it up. Win Murray, this goes for you too.

I'm in!! Just give me lots of advance notice.

Awesome recap, FFB. Thanks for sharing it with us. That day was truly one of those life experiences that will be etched in your memory banks. I'm very happy to see that you were able to share with him some of the great postings about him and his work from these very boards. I'm sure he got a big kick out of it. I hope he realizes his place in comic book history and the adoration his work merits in today's collecting community. Truly a legend. Thanks again.

Excellent story!! I wish someone would go around and film golden age artists while there are some that are still with us. Let them tell stories and possibly film them doing a recreation of a classic cover. I definitely would pay to watch that. cloud9.gif

Wow!!!!!!

Thank you, Scott, for taking the time to write down your experience in such detail. It was awesome to read (twice!). I'm so happy to hear that Mr. Flessel seems to have had such a happy life, and that he's been able to share it with his wife of SEVENTY years. I'm also very happy to hear that the other residents of his community are aware of how great he is, and that he's physically still able to share his talents. I imagine most 95 year old men have failing eyesight or crippling arthirtis or are just plain dead.

hail.gifhail.gif

Keep me posted and I'll do whatever I can to make my schedule fit.

For Detective Comics #14, Creig said that when he first showed the cover to Jack Liebowitz, Liebowitz complained about it and said, "No one will ever believe that cover! That guy could just stomp on the fuse and put out that bomb before it explodes!"

27_laughing.gifhail.gif

Great report, Scott! Definitely one of the threads that proves the worth of these Boards! 893applaud-thumb.gif

One of the best posts I've read on these boards! Thanks for taking the time!

Great report, Scott. 893applaud-thumb.gif

You must have been jazzed to meet Mr. Flessel in person. And you're right, he certainly doesn't look to be 95 (looks more like a man in his mid 70's). thumbsup2.gif

Congratulations on the cover reproduction, a true treasure. cloud9.gif