• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Thursday afternoon with Creig Flessel
3 3

84 posts in this topic

thumbsup2.gif

Gah! I already thought I was on the list as of our discussion at the forum dinner. Please put me down. Any day.

If you guys could tell me what dates work for you, I can float the idea and potential dates by Creig and see if he's up for it.

Incredible! Simply and completely incredible! After reading your post, I felt like I had been brought to your interview. Thank you for taking the time to write that interview up and share it with us. I never really new much about Fessel until I joined these boards, just hadn't been exposed. I have to say it was enlightening to read about his memories of 60 yrs ago and how lucid he is and passionate about drawing today, even at 95.

He seems like the all american grandpa, with stories and a life of passion to share for anyone who will take the time to listen. It will be a shame when these incredible artist of the past are no longer with us, it really would be wonderful to hear more about his memories of his work in comics.

I sincerely enjoyed your write up and thank you once again. What a cheerished memory this will be for you for many years.

Paul

Have any of you guys read Gary Groth's 2002 interview with Creig Flessel in The Comics Journal #245? Amazing. I think I am going to scan it and post it here for all to read.

Have any of you guys read Gary Groth's 2002 interview with Creig Flessel in The Comics Journal #245? Amazing. I think I am going to scan it and post it here for all to read.

I just found that issue of Comics Journal in a random box actually.. HUGE article on Mr. Flessel.

I just found that issue of Comics Journal in a random box actually.. HUGE article on Mr. Flessel.

I posted it a couple days ago in another thread. thumbsup2.gif

Shin, if you want to sell that CJ#245, LearnedHand was asking where to find a copy. Might want to send him a PM.

I posted it a couple days ago in another thread. thumbsup2.gif

Shin, if you want to sell that CJ#245, LearnedHand was asking where to find a copy. Might want to send him a PM.

Thx for the tip!

Let's bump this one too. This was a great day! :cloud9:

Lots of greats are passing away - how many are left that were drawing covers to 1930's books? What a great contribution to pop culture Mr. Flessel was. I'm not going to say I'm sad because the man lived almost 100 years, but what a body of work to leave behind. I wish I could've been there to talk to him before he passed like some of you did.

I have a huge blown up poster I made of New Adventure 19 right behind me...

Let's bump this one too. This was a great day! :cloud9:

Lots of greats are passing away - how many are left that were drawing covers to 1930's books? What a great contribution to pop culture Mr. Flessel was. I'm not going to say I'm sad because the man lived almost 100 years, but what a body of work to leave behind. I wish I could've been there to talk to him before he passed like some of you did.

I have a huge blown up poster I made of New Adventure 19 right behind me...

NA19.jpg

Question, I could easily research it and find an answer quickly, but prefer to ask, as fans may have something interesting to add.  Did Flessel ever draw Batman or Superman?  When I think of Flessel and O’Mealia I think great early DC and no Supes or Bat.

...but very clearly I could be very wrong. For instance, top of mind, I can’t remember who the cover artist is for great Detective covers after 27 and before intro to the Boy Wonder.  I’m pretty knowledgeable, but obviously showing areas of ignorance.  Thanks for putting up with it.

Edited by eschnit

On 8/17/2021 at 7:15 PM, FFB said:

Someone hit the Like button on the initial post I made to create this thread over 14 years ago, so I re-read it for the first time in a very long time.  What a great day this was.  Bumping it up in case anyone new hadn't seen it before.  :cloud9:

Thank you for bumping this! 

Flessel is one of my personal heros and I had never read this story. Really incredible first hand account. And I love that he was still drawing so late in life. Not only drawing, but his work was phenomenal!