• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A Thursday afternoon with Creig Flessel
3 3

84 posts in this topic

Scott;

Absolutely fabulous report from you on your luncheon meeting with Creig. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Very informative with some really insightful information such as the following little nugget from Creig:

Creig also had some interesting things to say about the covers to Detective Comics #18 and New Adventure Comics #24. The intricate design work on Fu Manchu's robes was not on the original art that Creig drew. Rather, the engraver added that detail at Creig's request. Likewise, the birchbark coloring pattern on the canoe on the cover of New Adventure Comics #24 was also not on the original art that Creig drew -- it was added by the engraver, who Creig said "was a bit of an artist himself, and really worked hard to make the finished product look good."

I am sure that it would take him "more than a couple of hours" now to do the recreation for the cover to 'Tec 18. Does he have a lot of commissions on the go or would he also be willing to take orders from some of the board members here?

Thanks again for sharing your extraordinary day with us here. thumbsup2.gif

Scott;

Absolutely fabulous report from you on your luncheon meeting with Creig. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Very informative with some really insightful information such as the following little nugget from Creig:

Creig also had some interesting things to say about the covers to Detective Comics #18 and New Adventure Comics #24. The intricate design work on Fu Manchu's robes was not on the original art that Creig drew. Rather, the engraver added that detail at Creig's request. Likewise, the birchbark coloring pattern on the canoe on the cover of New Adventure Comics #24 was also not on the original art that Creig drew -- it was added by the engraver, who Creig said "was a bit of an artist himself, and really worked hard to make the finished product look good."

I am sure that it would take him "more than a couple of hours" now to do the recreation for the cover to 'Tec 18. Does he have a lot of commissions on the go or would he also be willing to take orders from some of the board members here?

Creig does take some commission work now but he is kind of tired of recreations so he creates new pieces. My sand man piece is gonna be fantastic.

One of the best posts I've read on this board. I feel like I was a fly on the wall there. Thank you. Now I have a story for my New Adv #18.

When is this supposed to run in the Marin IJ? I checked their website but didn't see anything there with Creig's name.

man, you are so lucky. i would love to have a conversation with a legendary artist. wonderful post. i love the insight. i actually did think "why doesn't he stomp out that spark?" on the cover of tec 18, so to hear him mention it is so cool. hopefully, board members have more convos with him and post more great info.

thank you very much

Scott;

He does not do cover recreations as a general rule. I don't know why he agreed to do one for me, but he did and I wasn't about to remind him of his party line that he has said to so many others about not doing recreations. 27_laughing.gif As for non-recreation commissions, he still does them. His prices are pretty good ($300) for a watercolor.

One of the best posts I've read on this board. I feel like I was a fly on the wall there. Thank you. Now I have a story for my New Adv #18.

When is this supposed to run in the Marin IJ? I checked their website but didn't see anything there with Creig's name.

The reporter was going to call me and Kris to get more info before finishing the article, and I haven't heard from him yet. I don't know when it will run in the IJ.

FFB what a great report.

This is the side of the hobby that i enjoy hearing/reading about, the stories that come from those who actually lived through those eras. Where the iconic characters we see today, were viewed much like how the new modern characters are viewed today.

It is a shame no one has gone around to all those great artist & writers to collect their stories/memories so that we all can see how these books have evolved.

Much appreciation from the land down under 893applaud-thumb.gif

FFB what a great report.

This is the side of the hobby that i enjoy hearing/reading about, the stories that come from those who actually lived through those eras. Where the iconic characters we see today, were viewed much like how the new modern characters are viewed today.

It is a shame no one has gone around to all those great artist & writers to collect their stories/memories so that we all can see how these books have evolved.

Much appreciation from the land down under 893applaud-thumb.gif

I enjoyed this lunch very much and loved the stories.

I am planing more lunches with other living golden age artist who don't attend conventions. I was considering Jack Davis next.

Great write-up, Scott. 893applaud-thumb.gif It's great that your enthusiasm hasn't worn off; you were jumping up and down on Thursday at dinner and on the phone. I can't wait to see the recreation of the Tec 18...we can do a side by side comparison. The Tec 15 looks soooo good. Wonderful art and a wonderful day. Congrats to you and Kris.

Thanks for taing the time to share that with us. I felt like a kid in a candy store just reading bout it, i can't imagine how much fun that must have been for you guys.

FU buddy. flowerred.gif

What an unbelievably fun experience that must have been.

Flessel sitting down online with a wireless laptop reading a tribute thread made about him. If you would have told him 40 years ago he would be doing that, he would have spit up his coffee.

Thanks for sharing, and I will not rag on you too much about not having a camera..... too much. I suppose it will just have to remain in your minds eye.

Ze-