• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
46 46

48,411 posts in this topic

At the risk of killing this thread (as my image posts often seem to do), the recently acquired Lost Valley pedigree Fight #42:

fight42.jpg

Sweet book, Sean! :applause:

Did you get that from the Comic Heaven auction? I apparently won a couple of Lost Valley Tip Tops but I just got the invoice a couple of days ago.

I actually won it on eBay. And I was actually NOT sniped in the last seconds, which I would have bet money would happen.

I looked like this guy - :banana: - when I realized I wasn't sniped.

I love the war-era Rip Carson stories also. Great propoganda of the type you don't see anymore in our "enlightened" era.

I bid a bit on that one, and wasn't around on closing ...nice book....good pick up.

(Depending on your definition of "comic book")

Hey, that could make for an interesting thread! Might even fill a page or two. hm

lol Not trying to resurrect "OO vs.Supes" but these three books are sort of a microcosm of that "what is a comic book?" debate. Someone with a broader defination of "comic book" like Bob B. (or selegue?) would probably say The Illustrated Tarzan Book is the first Tarzan comic book. Others with a stricter definition that want the text fully integrated with the art might go with SS 20. Most people in the middle who say text + comic art + magazine format =comic book would probably go with LF 5. Of course if you're a real strict construction who requires word balloons, then the first Tarzan comic book would be Four Color 134 :insane:

Jeff

1939 - reprints the first Tarzan dailies from 1929.

Right -- it's considered by most to be the first Tarzan comic book. The 1929 dailies by Foster are actually an adaptation of the first novel, Tarzan of the Apes with narrative text below the illustrated panels. If you've never seen B&W Foster, it has a very different look to it than his work that was intended to be colored and is very cool. This same material was reprinted earlier in hardback in 1929 as The Illustrated Tarzan Book No. 1. Single Series 20, which came out in 1940, reprinted Foster Sundays and was the first regular-size color Tarzan comic book.

The three contenders for "1st Tarzan Comic Book" (Depending on your definition of "comic book"):

FirstTarzansm.jpg

What a great set of books! :applause:

BTW congratulations on the LF 5 (thumbs u

Hey, that could make for an interesting thread! Might even fill a page or two. hm

lol Not trying to resurrect "OO vs.Supes" but these three books are sort of a microcosm of that "what is a comic book?" debate. Someone with a broader defination of "comic book" like Bob B. (or selegue?) would probably say The Illustrated Tarzan Book is the first Tarzan comic book. Others with a stricter definition that want the text fully integrated with the art might go with SS 20. Most people in the middle who say text + comic art + magazine format =comic book would probably go with LF 5. Of course if you're a real strict construction who requires word balloons, then the first Tarzan comic book would be Four Color 134 :insane:

Jeff

Interesting point.

Does anyone have interior shots of these books?

Looking at the format and "300 pictures" blurb makes me think that Illustrated Tarzan Book is just that, an illustrated book rather than a comic book. I don't really have a strict definition or dividing line since the "standard US comic book" format evolved gradually, but in this case a story with occasional illustrations seems like "not comic book" but a format where every block of text has a picture associated with it, and vice versa, seems like "real comic book". For the latter, I mean a format like the Prince Valiant Sunday strips, Obadiah Who-Shall-Not-Be-Allowed-to-Sidetrack-BZ's-Thread, or Beautiful Stories for Ugly Children, which does make the "strict" cut at GCD. Is that how the other two books look? In that light, should we embrace a boardbook of Busch's Max und Moritz as a comic book? Probably yes.

Sorry, BZ. On with the show. If this discussion continues, I'll take it outside.

Jack

Jeff

Interesting point.

Does anyone have interior shots of these books?

Looking at the format and "300 pictures" blurb makes me think that Illustrated Tarzan Book is just that, an illustrated book rather than a comic book. I don't really have a strict definition or dividing line since the "standard US comic book" format evolved gradually, but in this case a story with occasional illustrations seems like "not comic book" but a format where every block of text has a picture associated with it, and vice versa, seems like "real comic book". For the latter, I mean a format like the Prince Valiant Sunday strips, Obadiah Who-Shall-Not-Be-Allowed-to-Sidetrack-BZ's-Thread, or Beautiful Stories for Ugly Children, which does make the "strict" cut at GCD. Is that how the other two books look? In that light, should we embrace a boardbook of Busch's Max und Moritz as a comic book? Probably yes.

Sorry, BZ. On with the show. If this discussion continues, I'll take it outside.

Jack

I started a new thread to continue the discussion if anyone's interested. (thumbs u

What exactly is a "Comic Book"?

The Blue Bolt was on my top 5 wanted list, and is the hardest to find of the Cole books in my opinion. This copy has the colors I was after, and the miswrap is minimal (most 105s have bad centering). I am just thrilled with this copy. When I saw it on eBay I knew I had to win it.

bluebolt105.jpg

Andy;

That is just one absolutely gorgeous book. :cloud9:

I also believe this is one of Cole's top covers of all time. Certianly feel that it is still greatly undervalued in the guide as all of his other classic covers generally go for much bigger dollars. Maybe one of the reasons why this book hardly ever shows up in the marketplace. :takeit:

Saw this cover used as a frontispiece on a book illustrating comic book artwork. Beautiful use of colours on a black cover book. Bet you anything if this was used as the frontispiece for the Gerber book instead, its price would be substantilly higher as evident by the Suspense #3. hm

1939 - reprints the first Tarzan dailies from 1929.

Right -- it's considered by most to be the first Tarzan comic book. The 1929 dailies by Foster are actually an adaptation of the first novel, Tarzan of the Apes with narrative text below the illustrated panels. If you've never seen B&W Foster, it has a very different look to it than his work that was intended to be colored and is very cool. This same material was reprinted earlier in hardback in 1929 as The Illustrated Tarzan Book No. 1. Single Series 20, which came out in 1940, reprinted Foster Sundays and was the first regular-size color Tarzan comic book.

The three contenders for "1st Tarzan Comic Book" (Depending on your definition of "comic book"):

FirstTarzansm.jpg

Taking a breather from setting up my comics mail order business again following yet another very successful San Diego comicon. Am not doing Wizard World shows any more, and it feels strangely good as eBay store & web sales are steady - lot less over head also -:)

It is sad when some people decide to put on horse blinders keeping them looking at one single format - its OK, there is Beerbohm's Exclusive Comics Guaranty Twelve Step Program designed to wean one from being a Conservative Collector, one of exclusion

The Big Tent Collector is more open minded - take the G&D Tarzan book from 1929, which went thru multiple printings, was a facsimile of the original words & pictures story telling as seen in the newspapers. People consider these the first newspaper comic strips for Tarzan, so, here they are layered into that red & green hard cover book with printed on art on the cover, wrap around format, um, no staples, stiched together with glue added in

- does a comic book have to have staples, one asks?

So, Tarzan FB 5 which reprints the 1929 comicbook is also a comic book. Why would any one be foolish enough to question this simple fact?

And Single Series 20 is, again, newspaper comic strip reprints - all three are

to acept one in means to accept them all under the umbrella

which leads us directly to Obadiah Oldbuck, and what it is, the first American printed comic book - and still a long way newer from the "first" comic strips. - even in America.

now headed over to that new thread Jeff set up to see what transpires there

Looks like a She-Hulk prototype. Very Nice books Andy.

bluebolt105.jpg

WOW what a smoker...

:applause::applause:

Unbelievable book Buck!! (thumbs u (thumbs u

Buck, that book is way nicer than Andy's! :baiting:

Looks like a She-Hulk prototype. Very Nice books Andy.

bluebolt105.jpg

WOW what a smoker...

:applause::applause:

Unbelievable book Buck!! (thumbs u (thumbs u

Buck, that book is way nicer than Andy's! :baiting:

I agree. No comparison.

Ken

Just got my books in from Heritage today and had to crack this one out. CGC 8.5 with just the cover cleaned and white pages. This book is gorgeous in person and would have gone for much more money if not for the slight professional restoration. I'm very pleased to have such an early Superman in nice shape.

Ken

superman12.jpg

:banana:

Now that you have this I can take the Sensation off your hands.

Just got my books in from Heritage today and had to crack this one out. CGC 8.5 with just the cover cleaned and white pages. This book is gorgeous in person and would have gone for much more money if not for the slight professional restoration. I'm very pleased to have such an early Superman in nice shape.

Ken

superman12.jpg