• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,459 posts in this topic

These look great. The guy on the cover of the bottom row of books seems to be the same one on the covers of the 1940 Future Comics issues.

It is. It’s Rebo, saturnian villain from the "Saturn vs. the Earth" long series, which is one of the few italian comics translated and presented in USA at the time.

This series reprints the various episodes in their entirety (albeit in black and white and small format compared to the wonderful large pages on the journals).

The few pages in "Future Comics" are from the first episode, the one you see at the far right. :)

Thanks for the information. I always like seeing the "overseas" books you post. Some great books that most people (including me) have never heard of before.

These look great. The guy on the cover of the bottom row of books seems to be the same one on the covers of the 1940 Future Comics issues.

It is. It’s Rebo, saturnian villain from the "Saturn vs. the Earth" long series, which is one of the few italian comics translated and presented in USA at the time.

This series reprints the various episodes in their entirety (albeit in black and white and small format compared to the wonderful large pages on the journals).

The few pages in "Future Comics" are from the first episode, the one you see at the far right. :)

Thanks for the information. I always like seeing the "overseas" books you post. Some great books that most people (including me) have never heard of before.

These stories really should be seen in their original format, which was very large.

Italian comics journals were larger than tabloid format, some really big like the Topolino (Mickey Mouse) supplement from 1932-33 by Nerbini (one of the rarest italian comics).

To have an idea, just look at this page and consider is more than twice the format of a GA comic book: :)

SZV5ufJh.jpg

Not quite as nice as the 9.6 Church that just sold ;) , but at (literally) 2% of the hammer price I am happy with this copy.

unnamed_zpspmnupslo.jpg

:applause:

I got one too, from the collection that recently turned up with tape on the spine. Nowhere nice as yours, but happy to have it.

DINJWz.jpg

I got one too, from the collection that recently turned up with tape on the spine. Nowhere nice as yours, but happy to have it.

DINJWz.jpg

Not too shabby! Those taped/amateur resto books are everywhere, I bought one too (USA #7, just couldn't resist). Lots of interesting issues in that collection.

These stories really should be seen in their original format, which was very large.

Italian comics journals were larger than tabloid format, some really big like the Topolino (Mickey Mouse) supplement from 1932-33 by Nerbini (one of the rarest italian comics).

To have an idea, just look at this page and consider is more than twice the format of a GA comic book: :)

SZV5ufJh.jpg

I love those large pages. Now if I could only read Italian :( .

Those taped/amateur resto books are everywhere, I bought one too (USA #7, just couldn't resist). Lots of interesting issues in that collection.

Does anyone here know the origin of that collection? I'd imagine it's an interesting story.

I posted this in Gator's thread, but I guess it really should go here. This is from a 1935 King Features Christmas booklet that they sent to newspapers to promote their strips. Never seen one before and I thought it was very cool.

image_zpsszvdjcre.jpeg

Those taped/amateur resto books are everywhere, I bought one too (USA #7, just couldn't resist). Lots of interesting issues in that collection.

Does anyone here know the origin of that collection? I'd imagine it's an interesting story.

They belonged to an elderly man back East, and when he became very ill he sold the collection (about 1,000 books) to a local shop. Another local dealer got into the collection first, then the rest of the collection was brokered to a comic show promoter.

Apparently the amateur restoration was performed in the 1970's and 1980's. Some books apparently were completely untouched, however.

The comics seem well-preserved otherwise as they generally present quite well (all things considered). There were a lot of scarce and interesting books in the collection.

I am happy to have one... :)

They belonged to an elderly man back East, and when he became very ill he sold the collection (about 1,000 books) to a local shop. Another local dealer got into the collection first, then the rest of the collection was brokered to a comic show promoter.

Apparently the amateur restoration was performed in the 1970's and 1980's. Some books apparently were completely untouched, however.

The comics seem well-preserved otherwise as they generally present quite well (all things considered). There were a lot of scarce and interesting books in the collection.

I am happy to have one... :)

Thanks for the info, Steve.

:applause:

Congrats. Great color on the Planet and the Wings look awesome as well.

The good news is that Fiction House books aren't addictive at all ... :tonofbricks:

FHTowerTop_zps016bba0e.jpg

Woah, nice!!! Haha Well I've accepted and embraced the fact that ive stepped into dangerously addictive territory here! :) thanks everyone!