• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,388 posts in this topic

Very happy to add this book to my collection. Back in the early 90s when Matt and I were working together at the comic shop, he embarked on the "Unseen Gold" quest to identify and acquire/scan all of the Gerber white space books.

This was the one that really started the quest for Matt and has a special place in our collective comic hearts.

:)

flash56_zps796a919c.jpg

It's got a special place in my heart too. Right after the Gerber book came out the San Diego con was 2 months later. I found a Flash #56 (9.0) for 3 times guide & bought it on the spot. 10 minutes later I found the guy who owned the Mile High Copy and bought that copy for 4 times guide. I was with my father at that show. He joking said, "You are cornering the market on Flash 56!"

Nice, Bill! I remember buying one on Ebay in the late 90s and being super-excited to get a book I couldn't see in the Gerber books. :)

Thanks Todd

Matt put a lot of work into that project. I'm not sure if the sticker set ever got completed, but I did put the ones that came out into my set of photojournals

thanks Vern. It is kinda rare, but maybe not as rare as Ernie thought

At the time that Ernie was photographing books for the Photo Journal a collector named Joe Dungan had three high grade copies of Flash 56; the Mile High, Pennsylvania, and another non-pedigree (which may have later been also sold as a Mile High). Ernie had photographed some of Joe's books previously and had man-handled them causing some damage. Joe was very grade conscious so he decided not to let Ernie use any more of his books.

Beautiful copy, Bill. Congrats.

At the time that Ernie was photographing books for the Photo Journal a collector named Joe Dungan had three high grade copies of Flash 56; the Mile High, Pennsylvania, and another non-pedigree (which may have later been also sold as a Mile High). Ernie had photographed some of Joe's books previously and had man-handled them causing some damage. Joe was very grade conscious so he decided not to let Ernie use any more of his books.

John Verzyl has some great stories about shooting books for the Photo-Journal. For instance, the Gerber scarcity scale is somewhat skewed toward how easy or difficult it was to locate HG books to photograph on short notice. In reality, some books aren't as rare as originally listed in the Journal because Ernie didn't have time to track down more copies and others, assumed fairly common at the time, are actually quite tough in any grade.

hm

John Verzyl has some great stories about shooting books for the Photo-Journal. For instance, the Gerber scarcity scale is somewhat skewed toward how easy or difficult it was to locate HG books to photograph on short notice. In reality, some books aren't as rare as originally listed in the Journal because Ernie didn't have time to track down more copies and others, assumed fairly common at the time, are actually quite tough in any grade.

Yes, some of the Gerber scarcity numbers were an educated guess, others were just a guess.