• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,385 posts in this topic

Here's a recent auction win from Heritage that just arrived. The first picture is taken from their website. Their description of the comic:

Captain Aero Comics #13 (Holyoke Publications, 1944) Condition: GD+. The only other copy we've offered over the years of this Gerber "7" issue was the Davis Crippen ("D" Copy) Pedigree copy in 2006. Charles Quinlan Japanese War cover. The cover is detached.

capaero13.jpg

Here's a recent auction win from Heritage that just arrived. The first picture is taken from their website. Their description of the comic:

Captain Aero Comics #13 (Holyoke Publications, 1944) Condition: GD+. The only other copy we've offered over the years of this Gerber "7" issue was the Davis Crippen ("D" Copy) Pedigree copy in 2006. Charles Quinlan Japanese War cover. The cover is detached.

capaero13.jpg

It looks like HA was selling someone's collection of lower-grade, but extremely scarce GA books. This was a great pickup.

capaero13.jpg

Congrats Walter! :applause:

I thought it was a pretty nice looking book from the Heritage scans. But when the book arrived and I got a closer look, here's what I found.

When you look at the book at an angle, you can tell there is something off.

FullSizeRender.jpg

That something is a tear that goes about 75 % of the way down the length of the front cover. And there is some paper stuck to the inside of the front cover.

IMG0159.JPG

Also, while they noted that the cover was detached, I think it should have been noted that half of the interior wraps were also detached from the staple.

IMG0160.JPG

I'll never forget HA sending a rare GA book that was almost certainly destined to end up grading top of the census, but HA for whatever reason packed it with a rubberband wrapped over the book leaving indentations on each side. I graded it and it tied with two others....

Love that captain aero and I love Quinlan art.

Edited by Johnny545

I thought it was a pretty nice looking book from the Heritage scans. But when the book arrived and I got a closer look, here's what I found.

When you look at the book at an angle, you can tell there is something off.

FullSizeRender.jpg

That something is a tear that goes about 75 % of the way down the length of the front cover. And there is some paper stuck to the inside of the front cover.

IMG0159.JPG

Also, while they noted that the cover was detached, I think it should have been noted that half of the interior wraps were also detached from the staple.

IMG0160.JPG

Whoa! Bummer!

I wonder if other books from that collection also had undisclosed problems?

Yeah, it was definitely disappointing.

Unfortunately, this isn't my first experience with poor grading on raw comics from the major auction houses. One gave me a small credit on my account when a book was found to have undisclosed restoration (and believe me, it was not hard to spot...it stuck out like a sore thumb. If you couldn't see it, it was because you graded the comic without ever taking it out of the mylar). Wasn't an expensive book to begin with, so I was somewhat satisfied with their response.

In the past, Heritage has generally offered me full refunds and sent a prepaid mailing label for the book to be returned. I've got a message in to them and I'm pretty sure that's what will happen again this time. Just wish it would stop happening!

Yeah, it was definitely disappointing.

Unfortunately, this isn't my first experience with poor grading on raw comics from the major auction houses. One gave me a small credit on my account when a book was found to have undisclosed restoration (and believe me, it was not hard to spot...it stuck out like a sore thumb. If you couldn't see it, it was because you graded the comic without ever taking it out of the mylar). Wasn't an expensive book to begin with, so I was somewhat satisfied with their response.

In the past, Heritage has generally offered me full refunds and sent a prepaid mailing label for the book to be returned. I've got a message in to them and I'm pretty sure that's what will happen again this time. Just wish it would stop happening!

I've found that it doesn't really matter who the vendor is, an auction house, dealer, or private eBay seller, they all make mistakes, to include obviously not even taking the book out of the sleeve to inspect it. I'll either ask for a partial refund at times with an individual, or to send the book back. Normally the seller will refund return postage.

So Heritage offers a pre-paid return mailing label...Isn't that nice of them, after charging a 20% buyers premium. :eyeroll:

Here's two fave GA Batmans I maybe haven't posted, or haven't posted in a long while at any rate! Unusually nice ones for me.

(Interesting footnote: the #46 had a wicked spine roll which I had expertly pressed by Kenny way back in the day.)

bat44.jpg

bat46new.jpg

Here's two fave GA Batmans I maybe haven't posted, or haven't posted in a long while at any rate! Unusually nice ones for me.

(Interesting footnote: the #46 had a wicked spine roll which I had expertly pressed by Kenny way back in the day.)

bat44.jpg

bat46new.jpg

Nice!

I know everyone is Joker crazy these days, but I really like the 46.

bat44.jpg

bat46new.jpg

This is unacceptable. Based on your recent posts, you are going to have to change your board name to "Six Point Five."