• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,388 posts in this topic

GreatComics003_zps5m1nujtn.jpg

Easily one of the top five Hitler covers and a very tough book.

Sold mine recently (restored/water damage) and kind of regret it. But I did take a chance and read it before letting it go.

To me it is, cover to cover, the best golden age comic book of all time. I know that sounds like lofty praise but it was my grail book for years until Metro found me a nice copy in the late eighties (for $300!). And it is still my favorite. Obviously the front cover is outstanding. The Futuro story is killer. The Lost World chapter is incredible. And as an added bonus...the back cover is the single greatest back cover ever (someone just try to refute that claim)...

The art is indeed top notch, but as far as Hitler stories go, I believe the story in Four Favorites #12 tops them all. Not only it’s "realistic", but for its depth and the themes involved. The Futuro story is fun and weird but as usual portraits Hitler as a superficial caricature and has not much of a plot. In the FF#12 one not only there is this ambiguity between the devil and Hitler (as an "image" of the devil) but the story of the young soldier is moving… Way above the average quality level of many GA stories, especially the others from Four Favorites, which often were simple and not of the same quality of the ones from Quality (sorry for the pun). :)

Edited by vaillant

To me it is, cover to cover, the best golden age comic book of all time. I know that sounds like lofty praise but it was my grail book for years until Metro found me a nice copy in the late eighties (for $300!). And it is still my favorite. Obviously the front cover is outstanding. The Futuro story is killer. The Lost World chapter is incredible. And as an added bonus...the back cover is the single greatest back cover ever (someone just try to refute that claim)...

The art is indeed top notch, but as far as Hitler stories go, I believe the story in Four Favorites #12 tops them all. Not only it’s "realistic", but for its depth and the themes involved. The Futuro story is fun and weird but as usual portraits Hitler as a superficial caricature and has not much of a plot. In the FF#12 one not only there is this ambiguity between the devil and Hitler (as an "image" of the devil) but the story of the young soldier is moving… Way above the average quality level of many GA stories, especially the others from Four Favorites, which often were simple and not of the same quality of the ones from Quality (sorry for the pun). :)

Sounds cool, so let's keep score...

Four Favorites 12 vs. Great Comics 3

Cover - Great 3 is the clear winner.

Lead story - Though I would personally pick the Futuro story in Great 3 let's give you that one - FF 12

Back up stories - Four Favorites does have Magno, Captain Courageous and some other stuff, but all of them are blown away by the Lost City story in Great 3 - Great 3 wins that.

Back Cover - I don't care if the Mona Lisa were first published on the back cover of Four Favorites 12, Great 3's back cover still wins. - Great 3

So the winner of the best cover-to-cover golden age comic, and still champ! -

Great Comics 3

Considering the large number of pedigreed collections that included one or more pre-code Strange Adventures (Aurora, Bethlehem, Big Apple, Church, Cosmic Aeroplane, Crippen, Crowley, Northford, Nova Scotia, Okajima, River City, Savannah, Spokane, Twin Cities, White Mountain, Windy City, and possibly others), it's always fun to see a new copy at the top of the census:

SA%2012-96-RC.jpg

:acclaim:

Considering the large number of pedigreed collections that included one or more pre-code Strange Adventures (Aurora, Bethlehem, Big Apple, Church, Cosmic Aeroplane, Crippen, Crowley, Northford, Nova Scotia, Okajima, River City, Savannah, Spokane, Twin Cities, White Mountain, Windy City, and possibly others), it's always fun to see a new copy at the top of the census:

SA%2012-96-RC.jpg

Whoa! Great book.

SA%2012-96-RC.jpg

Exquisite

Ken

Bang, bang, Prada on my zipper, now I'm feeling jipper, I'm jipper, I'm jipper

Heritage mailed it to me before I paid :o

MysteryMen3.jpg

In that case, I would consider it a gift from them and wouldn't bother paying. :insane:

Bang, bang, Prada on my zipper, now I'm feeling jipper, I'm jipper, I'm jipper

Heritage mailed it to me before I paid :o

MysteryMen3.jpg

Woot!