• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Have a Cigar! Golden Age only....!
45 45

48,385 posts in this topic

On 4/25/2018 at 1:14 PM, szavisca said:

Well...didn't think I'd ever get a sharp copy of my favorite GA book, but the stars aligned and I reached way beyond my typical means to grab this beauty... and fortunately my wife agreed to give me up to a year and a half to "pay her back for it."  Gonna be picking up a lotta extra shifts at work .............. totally worth it.

PL1385inhand.jpg

Major score!  Sensational pickup!

9 minutes ago, Sqeggs said:

Just won this one.  Definitely an artifact of a bygone era. 

spi5.1598a.jpg

That use to be the paper to read not so much now,pretty neat and in your collecting field (thumbsu

6 minutes ago, comicjack said:

That use to be the paper to read not so much now,pretty neat and in your collecting field (thumbsu

Yes, I do collect GA books featuring African Americans, whether their portrayal is favorable or not. Below is another recent pickup that I don't think I've posted.

These Spirits sections with a few exceptions (notably the 1950s sci-fi issues) don't seem to attract much collector interest.  This copy is the only one on the census.

lf_zpsjke53of0.JPG

20 hours ago, szavisca said:

Thanks! ... gonna be back to reading books about comic book history till my debt is paid, and of course will live vicariously through boardie pals getting cool stuff too.

5, 10, etc. years from now, assuming you decide to keep it (and why not) you'll look back and think about what a short time it was to pay her back. Totes worth it. :)

If I can be indulged an SA book (can I claim it has a GA sensibility? No? :sorry:)

I had never seen this one before and it sold cheap.  Love the cover, although clearly there's something off about where Marco's sword is and the same with the sword of the guy at the bottom near Marco's leg.

mar48.3a.jpg