• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

:frustrated: You mean Bangzoom listed a book in his pop quiz that I ACTUALLY have and I completely missed it? :frustrated:

And to add insult to injury, I'm using as my current avatar.

Nice avatar! :makepoint:

:roflmao:^^

Glad to see you guys got my back. (thumbs u

This may have to be my new avatar: BA512F.jpg

At first I was impressed Mr. Bedrock, but then I realized that the pages are only off-white.

lol

At first I was impressed Mr. Bedrock, but then I realized that the pages are only off-white.

:sorry: But it looks great for its age. (My favorite eBay sales line)

:sorry: But it looks great for its age. (My favorite eBay sales line)

(thumbs u

Have you ever wondered who Jerry Siegel's favorite authors were when he was a youngster?

What magazines did he read?

The letter reprinted below was written by Jerry to the editors of Amazing Stories when he was 14 years old. He was obviously very passionate about writing even at that young age.

jerrysiegel_1.jpg

jerrysiegel_2.jpg

A fantastic piece of history! :applause:

It is amazing to read how people wrote decades/centuries earlier. This was only 80 years ago but so much has changed. How many 14 year olds today write like that? Sad commentary.

On a side note, was "scientifiction" actually a word? :popcorn:

It was "the" word for Sci Fi, before it was called "Sci Fi".

Hey, who said lightning doesn't strike twice at the same spot?

Soooo ... Captain America Comics # 1, the first appearance of the Red Skull was cover dated March 1941 ...

but so was also the first issue of The Red Mask Detective Stories pulp magazine. The title only ran 3 issues: Mar and May 1941 under Red Mask name and then for a final issue in July 1941 under the Red Hood Detective Stories title. Of course, another publisher not to be undone in the Hood department in September retitled its Detective Yarns titles (which was not about knitting sleuths) to Black Hood Detective for a one-shot before it changed again to Hooded Detective and then Crack Detective. Nonetheless, there were both a Red Skull and a Red Hood on the newsstands at the same time - (Not pictured here is the May issue that has a B&W cover except for the gunman's bright red hood - hm shades of Frank Miller Sin City too!!)

56638-RedMask-March1941.jpg.5dad33e28ca0c3224dea458923e42cec.jpg

56639-RedMask-RedHood-July1941.jpg.092ea3c68d57fc7b2ba1718148985237.jpg

Just posting a couple of scans that I thought were interesting. I noticed these two in a couple of books that I down loaded from goldenage.UK and the other is a scan I made a while back.

bb

2410789833_7e5657febd_b.jpg

Like them robots and gooey dripping ogres.

2407630792_e9c573244e_b.jpg

Isn't that the same girl from the Death Kiss?

2411661478_f9ca8b766a_b.jpg