• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Interesting -- close to photo-swipes rather than caricature. The realistic style reminds me a little of the DC Pat Boone comics (not that I think Oksner drew Milty). Any idea who drew the pages you posted? Are they all from issue 1?

All the pages are from #1. (thumbs u

I have no idea who was the artist. There are also three other stories in the comic. Two were illustrated by someone whose signature looks like it says Torb and the final story in the book was illustrated by Augie Scotto.

The two unsigned stories are my favorites. (shrug)

I have issue #3 with art by Al Eadeh, C.S Massey and Floyd Torbert.

bb

2653881165_1fa6eb2573_b.jpg

2653881509_d4a7dc3503_b.jpg

The scan is from the first story by Eadeh. Didn't he work for Atlas?

And since I am in the Uncle box, I thought Uncle Sam deserved a scan.

bb

2653881663_cd225970ec_b.jpg

Interesting -- close to photo-swipes rather than caricature. The realistic style reminds me a little of the DC Pat Boone comics (not that I think Oksner drew Milty). Any idea who drew the pages you posted? Are they all from issue 1?

I have no idea who was the artist. There are also three other stories in the comic. Two were illustrated by someone whose signature looks like it says Torb and the final story in the book was illustrated by Augie Scotto.

bb

2653881509_d4a7dc3503_b.jpg

bb

What an awesome cover. :applause:

bb

bb

What an awesome cover. :applause:

I didn't know that ciorac was such a Milty fan.

Jack

I try to keep the golden age separated from the silver age collection but my Uncle box has just a few Sams, only one Milty and Scrooge fills up most of the box. I think the Atlantis story and the Magic Hour Glass are my two favorites.

bb

2654873232_fa31d2d668_b.jpg

I wanted this issue because of the early gorilla cover by Kubert but just noticed that a smudged name was written in the upper left corner. It looks like _ _ _ son! Is that possible? Curious. I bought this issue at the flea market with the Ghost Rider comics but passed on the Famous Funnies (probably not a good idea since they were Frazetta covers). This guy had two boxes of comics. One box had gems like mentioned above and the other was a complete collection of Classics which were mostly first editions.

bb

2654998299_e8d3d06175_b.jpg

BZ said "That cover artist certainly went to great pains to draw the grain in the wood flooring."

BZ,

I repaired the floor in photoshop because it was missing a chunk. Not all of my comics are Near Mint.

bb

Edited by BB-Gun

But I have an Alan Ladd cover that I thought was interesting. Triumph motorcycles seemed to be the choice for some Hollywood stars, possibly due to winning endurance races and setting speed records in the 40s and 50s. According to the history books, the 650 cc Triumph Thunderbird was released in 1950 which corresponds to the year of the Alan Ladd #4 release. The bike on the cover below could also be the smaller 499 cc Trophy Twin. The Triumph Thunderbird was made famous by the 1953 movie "The Wild One". Brando rode his own bike in the movie. Lee Marvin's character rode a Harley. By the way, interior art of AL 4 was by Ruben Moreira.

Roy Rogers prefered to ride an Indian Motorcycle after Trigger. And so did the Black Terror and Tim.

bb

2653048156_246ec2b1f9_b.jpg

Note that the suicide shifter is on the right hand side and is therefore an Indian. Below is a photo of me looking over a WWII Harley that was on display at the Grand Place in Belgium during a LIberation Day Celebration. Notice there is no shifter on the right hand side. This only apllies to the WWII models (and probably was not something that Schomburg was aware of). Captain America seemed to ride both a Harley and an Indian. He probably needed several since he tended to crash the bikes.

2656137007_45e65b144e_o.jpg

Notice there is a holster for the rider's BB-Gun.

In spite of the large surplus of Triumph, Harley and Indian motorcycles after the war, there seemed to be a shortage for some superheroes. Batman was forced to ride horses (maybe a great great granddaughter? of Superman).

2657521986_afbb0a055c_b.jpg

Captain America used up the bikes by dropping them into the river. This one was probably an Indian since the shifter was on the right side. The Captain may have removed the Indian head off of the bike and put on his intials "CA".

bb

2657522450_71f6fdd1b4_b.jpg

USA scan from Atlas tales. Batman scan is of my beat up copy from Bob Horn.

Edited by BB-Gun

Triumph motorcycles seemed to be the choice for some Hollywood stars, possibly due to winning endurance races and setting speed records in the 40s and 50s. According to the history books, the 650 cc Triumph Thunderbird was released in 1950 which corresponds to the year of the Alan Ladd #4 release. The bike on the cover below could also be the smaller 499 cc Trophy Twin. The Triumph Thunderbird was made famous by the 1953 movie "The Wild One". Brando rode his own bike in the movie. Lee Marvin's character rode a Harley.

Roy Rogers prefered to ride an Indian Motorcycle after Trigger. And so did the Black Terror and Tim.

2653048156_246ec2b1f9_b.jpg

Note that the suicide shifter is on the right hand side and is therefore an Indian. Below is a photo of me looking over a WWII Harley that was on display at the Grand Place in Belgium during a LIberation Day Celebration. Notice there is no shifter on the right hand side. This only apllies to the WWII models (and probably was not something that Schomburg was aware of). Captain America seemed to ride both a Harley and an Indian. He probably needed several since he tended to crash the bikes.

2656137007_45e65b144e_o.jpg

BB, I enjoy reading your insights about the various mototcycles pictured on GA comic covers. My father owned an Indian when he was a young man and my uncle rode a Harley his entire life. From time to time he and his wife would get on the bike and travel from coast to coast visiting relatives and having adventures. His visits made quite an impression on my childhood friends. lol

And, thanks for the personal photo. (thumbs u

Does your wife share your enthusiasm for motorcycles?

That looks killer, but not sure I want a potentially exploding boiler beneath my butt.