• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

Ah, the good old days when a mad scientist could split atoms and make monsters with no worry about federal funding or making a product.

Spurt Hammond by Kiefer. Good name too.

3711035185_e7ca2edbae_b.jpg

scans from GA.UK

I've got a straight run of Star-Studded Comics, except the last two issues. Great fanzine. :cloud9:

The back cover to issue #6 (February 1965) gave me my first look at some comic fans whose names I recognized from their being associated with various activities within the hobby.

I wonder if any of them are still around?

comicfans.jpg

Bob Butts! :roflmao:

Ah, the good old days when a mad scientist could split atoms and make monsters with no worry about federal funding or making a product.

Love the subject. lol

Great pages, BB. :applause:

I was watching some Bugs Bunny cartoons the other day. Elmer Fudd played the role of a mad scientist in "Hare Remover."

hareremover1.jpg

hareremover2.jpg

hareremover3.jpg

Gumps appear to be common animals in the land of Oz.

They are elk-like creatures but with caprine whiskers.

Specifically The Gump is actually just the head of one of these creatures mounted on a plaque,

with two sofas for a body, palm tree limbs for wings, and a broom for a tail.

This was all tied together with clothes line. After his construction,

the Gump was brought to life using the Powder of Life.

He was later disassembled, at his own request, and remained only a head for the remainder of the series.

From Wikipedia

The Gump appears in the movie Return to Oz, where he quips "I should have quit while I was a head".

Dorothy was played by a young Fairuza Balk who also played a tattooed Vicki Vallencourt in "The Waterboy"

3714659350_0cfc3fae40_o.jpg

And a fuzzy picture of the Gump in flight.

3714659404_b28c8a56cc_o.jpg

Edited by BB-Gun

I've got a straight run of Star-Studded Comics, except the last two issues. Great fanzine. :cloud9:

The back cover to issue #6 (February 1965) gave me my first look at some comic fans whose names I recognized from their being associated with various activities within the hobby.

I wonder if any of them are still around?

comicfans.jpg

Bob Butts! :roflmao:

I suspect Ann Foss, Sondra Bails and the lamp post were never involved in comics. Ronn Foss, Jerry Bails, Don Thompson, Howard Keltner and Grass Green passed away (and we miss their creativity cause they added so much to the hobby at one time). Either Tom or John McGeehan died a while back. Mike Tuohey wasn't heavily involved in fandom, I heard, but he came back for Jerry's funeral. I heard Buddy Saunders was still collecting. Maggie Thompson, of course, was holding together the Comic Buyers Guide. I don't know about the rest of the guys. Perhaps someone else can help????

Where are these guys??

Alex

Bill Thailing

Chuck Moss

Don Glut

Jim Rossow

Bob Butts

Anderson

Keith Green

Gary Martin

Howard Waldrop

Larry Herndon

Gary Accord

John or Tom McGeehan

Buddy Saunders

Where are these guys??

Alex

Bill Thailing

Chuck Moss

Don Glut

Jim Rossow

Bob Butts

Anderson

Keith Green

Gary Martin

Howard Waldrop

Larry Herndon

Gary Accord

John or Tom McGeehan

Buddy Saunders

John McGeehan died in 1980 and Bill Thailing in 2003.

Where are these guys??

Alex

Chuck Moss

Don Glut

Jim Rossow

Bob Butts

Anderson

Keith Green

Gary Martin

Howard Waldrop

Larry Herndon

Gary Accord

Tom McGeehan

Buddy Saunders

Thanks for narrowing it down BZ. Anyone else know about guys on the list? Are any of the board people on the list? I remember that Jerry told me Raymond Miller was sticking with snail mail but I don't know about the rest of the guys. I will have to go back and look for Alex's last name. The McGeehan's were fanzine experts. They seemed to have every fanzine, listed and reviewed. Is the data posted anywhere other than Jerry's files. Michigan State library used to have some of their collection but I think the Alter Ego collection 5-9 used to belong to me as identified by the smoke stains. Did anyone ever check for ERB fanzines on line? I thought one of the ERB sites had a lot of detail about each issue.

Edited by BB-Gun

Where are these guys??

Alex

Chuck Moss

Don Glut

Jim Rossow

Bob Butts

Anderson

Keith Green

Gary Martin

Howard Waldrop

Larry Herndon

Gary Accord

Tom McGeehan

Buddy Saunders

Thanks for narrowing it down BZ. Anyone else know about guys on the list? Are any of the board people on the list? I remember that Jerry told me Raymond Miller was sticking with snail mail but I don't know about the rest of the guys. I will have to go back and look for Alex's last name. The McGeehan's were fanzine experts. They seemed to have every fanzine, listed and reviewed. Is the data posted anywhere other than Jerry's files. Michigan State library used to have some of their collection but I think the Alter Ego collection 5-9 used to belong to me as identified by the smoke stains. Did anyone ever check for ERB fanzines on line? I thought one of the ERB sites had a lot of detail about each issue.

Well obviously Buddy Saunders is still very active as he owns comic stores. I used to hear a lot about Larry Herndon, but haven't in quite sometime. I'm sure Bob O would know.

Where are these guys??

Alex

Chuck Moss

Don Glut

Jim Rossow

Bob Butts

Anderson

Keith Green

Gary Martin

Howard Waldrop

Larry Herndon

Gary Accord

Tom McGeehan

Buddy Saunders

Well obviously Buddy Saunders is still very active as he owns comic stores. I used to hear a lot about Larry Herndon, but haven't in quite sometime. I'm sure Bob O would know.

Larry had a serious medical condition and died quite a while back -- he had died before I visited the store in the mid 80s that was run by his widow.

Where are these guys??

Alex

Chuck Moss

Don Glut

Jim Rossow

Bob Butts

Anderson

Keith Green

Gary Martin

Howard Waldrop

Gary Accord

Tom McGeehan

Buddy Saunders

Larry had a serious medical condition and died quite a while back -- he had died before I visited the store in the mid 80s that was run by his widow.

The list is getting smaller but it is understandable. Most of those guy except Touhey and Rossow, I think, were older than me when the pictures were taken in the sixties and I am over 60 now (And my liver doesn't let me enjoy a Guiness anymore). Hopefully many of them will live forever and be honored in Bill Schelly's 14th book on the origins of comic fandom.

Edited by BB-Gun

Apparently Don Glut has been a busy guy. His website details all of the early movies and books that he has written.

Bob Butts and Jim Rossow were still active in comics and were at the Collectors Get Together back in 1997, which was attended by Schelly, Thomas, Keltner, Bails and many others.

Edited by BB-Gun

D ick Anderson

Keith Green

Gary Martin

Howard Waldrop

Gary Accord

How about these guys? I get an indication that Keith is still working in comics but when I google his name, I find a gospel singer in the mix of references.