• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Golden Age Collection
22 22

18,204 posts in this topic

I was planning on showing my copy of All-Story which featured the first appearance of the "Warlord of Mars" story but I can't find it. :pullhair:

So instead, here are the covers to some lesser known Burroughs stories. (shrug)

allstory.jpg

All-Story Weekly (October 24, 1914) - "The Mucker"

All-Story Weekly (August 7, 1915) - "Barney Custer of Beatrice"

All-Story Weekly (March 31, 1917) - "The Cave Man"

Oh wow, never have seen the Cave Man!!! Super!

Jeff, have a great time at Mammoth Cave! I love it! I'm sure doing what you do you know about the Indian that was crushed by a bolder in the cave. They had him on display for a long time ( I saw him when I was young) then they finally buried him deep in the cave.

Congratulations on your purchase, Jeff. :applause:

You had a much more memorable few days than I did. My highlight was going to a used book store where I bought a videotape of The Iron Giant for 75 cents. mehlol

The experience may have been less than sublime, but don't you be dissin' one of the most delightful animated films of the last 20 years. :sumo:

And Jeff - I wish I had those sort of stores anywhere near me.

I've always been curious about the airplane Fred Guardineer drew on the cover of Action Comics #18.

actioncomics18.jpg

Now I can stop wondering.

It's a Keystone B-3 Panther.

The photograph Guardineer used for reference is a U.S. Army Corp photo taken at March Field, California in 1932.

1932usarmyaircorp.jpg

Details about the 9th Bomb Squadron can be found here: Link

I've always been curious about the airplane Fred Guardineer drew on the cover of Action Comics #18.

actioncomics18.jpg

The photograph Guardineer used for reference is a U.S. Army Corp photo taken at March Field, California in 1932.

1932usarmyaircorp.jpg

Can you imagine being a gunman on one of those, out in the open air like that? Those guys must have been strapped in as the wind turbulence must have been something.

actioncomics18.jpg

1932usarmyaircorp.jpg

Man! That IS cool. :applause:

actioncomics18.jpg

1932usarmyaircorp.jpg

That is so weird. I didn't think that plane from Action 18 was real. I think Scrooge posted a comic with a drawing of a German bomber that I could never identify. And another fighter (the Reliant pictured below) which I didn't think was a real WWII aircraft but it was actually fairly well known for its role in the Battle of Britain (and pictured in Wings 2).

4292025306_5215ec0665_b.jpg

That is so weird. I didn't think that plane from Action 18 was real. I think Scrooge posted a comic with a drawing of a German bomber that I could never identify.

I think that German bomber was on a pulp but I seem to recall your being stumped.

While cool we were able to track down the plane that inspired the cover, it's actually kinda sad b/c I was amazed at the ability of Guardineer to design this cool ship ... and now, I know it was cribbed from a pic :(

On a related aviation note, anyone else read the fantastic article about Frederick Blaskelee and his actual involvement with early aviation at the Hammond Curtiss company in Illustration 22? I might have mentioned it before but can't recall for sure.

How did you figure it out ?

What led you to the picture ?

Super-Friggin' COOL bye the way !!!!!

I'll bet your eyes lit up when you made the discovery.

You're kind of like a Comic-Book Scientist

Edited by ajaxfarrell

actioncomics18.jpg

1932usarmyaircorp.jpg

Man! That IS cool. :applause:

very impressive